Steam Link

Steam Link

View Stats:
Steam Link > General Discussions > Topic Details
Bota May 11, 2017 @ 6:18pm
Xbox One S controller does not work
Hi.

Today i was going to test steam link to see if there were any improvements to the stuttering issue, but what i found was another issue altogether.

My Xbox one controller now does not work. It works on big picture, but once i start a game it does not register any input. If i go to my pc and exit game, it works again on big picture mode.

I´ve tried to configure the buttons on steam link controller settings, but it didn´t help.

Am I doing something wrong?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
dam_it_chris May 11, 2017 @ 6:21pm 
Is it enabled in big picture mode under controller settings?
That happed to me to after steam client beta update today.
Last edited by dam_it_chris; May 11, 2017 @ 6:21pm
mystrokapp May 11, 2017 @ 8:06pm 
I have the same issue with an XBox 360 controller. Worked fine last week, doesn't work in-game at all now, no matter what the game. I can use it fine in Big Picture too, just not in-game. I noticed a few updates to Big Picture mode when I pressed the Guide button in-game. There seemed to be many more controller options than I remember. Maybe the new update is causing the issues?
Bota May 12, 2017 @ 5:33am 
Yes, it is enabled... I´ve managed to work but it works like it´s emulating a mouse and keys... So the native support for xbox one controller is gone.

I already loved the steam link, now i want to marry it...

I don´t understand anything about programming, but i think that an important thing when adding stuff is not breaking the stuff that was working well on the first place.

Great job!
IOM The General May 12, 2017 @ 6:09am 
Works fine for me using the bluetooth on the new xbox 1 pad. Try using a wired mouse to set things up on the steamlink for your controller.
Last edited by IOM The General; May 12, 2017 @ 6:10am
Bota May 12, 2017 @ 6:21am 
Originally posted by IOM The General:
Works fine for me using the bluetooth on the new xbox 1 pad. Try using a wired mouse to set things up on the steamlink for your controller.

I can't seem to get it to work... will try later today.
Bota May 12, 2017 @ 7:06am 
Well, i had to unpair it and pair again on the link, i had to turn on xbox configurator on big picture mode, i had to go to the game menu on big picture and in controller settings disable the "use desktop settings for launcher" and on the controller configuration on big picture i had to select "controller mode" to make the game recognize the controller as a controller on the game instead of a keyboard and mouse... and even so, sometimes the game recognizes mouse and keyboard and switches to controller mode in game... easy to spot, because it disappears the controller buttons in game and appears keys(ex. A replaced by E).

Really?
Battle Max May 12, 2017 @ 10:36am 
This happened to me too. What worked for me: go into big picture mode -> settings -> controller settings -> check the box that says xbox configuration support.

I don't know why this unchecked itself - it may have been the Steam update. Either way, try that before doing anything too drastic :)
Bota May 12, 2017 @ 12:09pm 
Originally posted by Battle Max:
This happened to me too. What worked for me: go into big picture mode -> settings -> controller settings -> check the box that says xbox configuration support.

I don't know why this unchecked itself - it may have been the Steam update. Either way, try that before doing anything too drastic :)

The problem is that if i sell this, i have to go to the mail to send it and to go again to withdraw the money... it takes a lot of time for the amount of money that i will get...(post offices in my country... it takes about 1 hour to do anything). So i'm just waiting for things to be solved...

But i am more than disappointed with this device. I have it for more than 6 months and guess the amount of time that i've spent playing? 0 hours. Literally 0 hours. I only did troubleshooting , to see if the stuttering happened because of my configuration (don't ask me how many different games and settings i've tried) and do some testing now and then to see if the stuttering issue is solved.

Now try to imagine my face when i fired up the link and now, even to see if the stuttering is gone, i have to troubleshoot the controller, that worked perfectly fine out of the box... in fact, it was the only thing that i thought the link had better than the shield tv...
saulveloz May 12, 2017 @ 12:31pm 
Is there anyway to make it work like before?
without enabling xbox configuration?
Just the xbox controller by itself?
TheFightingFish May 16, 2017 @ 8:52am 
Hey all. Just wanted to add on another report for this. Both wired Xbox and wired PS4 controllers now work in Big Picture but don't work in game by default. Checking the configuration button does get things working again, but it's not an optimal solution as this seems to sometimes pick up random community configurations as default and I have to set it back to standard gamepad configuration. Also the guide button doesn't work anymore when I work around like this. This bug is a pretty big reduction in usability for how I use the Steam Link. Before if the configuration button was unchecked it would function in game exactly like an Xbox controller with no tweaking needed, but with the box checked it now functions more like a configurable steam controller where I sometimes have to make adjustments to get it working right. And I then have to do that multiple times if I'm playing local co-op with my kids with multiple controllers.
Last edited by TheFightingFish; May 16, 2017 @ 8:58am
slouken May 16, 2017 @ 2:34pm 
Originally posted by TheFightingFish:
Hey all. Just wanted to add on another report for this. Both wired Xbox and wired PS4 controllers now work in Big Picture but don't work in game by default. Checking the configuration button does get things working again, but it's not an optimal solution as this seems to sometimes pick up random community configurations as default and I have to set it back to standard gamepad configuration. Also the guide button doesn't work anymore when I work around like this. This bug is a pretty big reduction in usability for how I use the Steam Link. Before if the configuration button was unchecked it would function in game exactly like an Xbox controller with no tweaking needed, but with the box checked it now functions more like a configurable steam controller where I sometimes have to make adjustments to get it working right. And I then have to do that multiple times if I'm playing local co-op with my kids with multiple controllers.

This should be fixed in the latest Steam beta client.
The Keck May 16, 2017 @ 6:45pm 
I am having similar problems with my PS3 controller. Always worked perfectly before. Now it's not recognizing the Dpad when streaming and other configuration options are messed up. Serious step backward with the latest update, it seems.
SDalton May 17, 2017 @ 12:24pm 
There was a bug in the previous beta which caused this issue.

If you're using the latest Steam Client Beta (Check in the Help->About Steam menu for the build date, which should be May 12th or newer), you should not need to have opted in to any "Controller Configuration Support" in Big Picture.
If you want standard gamepad behavior, you should uncheck all the Controller Configuration Support boxes to return to the same behavior as it has historically worked via streaming.

If you're both in the latest beta and have unchecked all these boxes and are still seeing the issue, let us know.
TheFightingFish May 17, 2017 @ 12:37pm 
slouken and SDalton. Thanks for the info. I'll check my client build number tonight and report back if I'm still seeing this issue after moving past the May 12th Build date.
The Keck May 17, 2017 @ 8:50pm 
I have the May 12 client and have all the special config boxes unchecked. Still won't recognize the dpad on my PS3 controller.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Steam Link > General Discussions > Topic Details
Date Posted: May 11, 2017 @ 6:18pm
Posts: 21