Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

View Stats:
Steam charts are not the be all.
https://i.imgur.com/4xuXA20.jpg

2252 players shown on the leaderboards in the last 30 days. this only registers a person if they kill or die in 30 days.

This should finally put to rest the Steam chart believers who think there is only 2xx people in the game lol.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Oooh boy, here they come. Expect a lot of excuses from people who want the game to fail.

FYI, that doesn't include people who are strictly crafters, decorators, role players, event coordinators, etc. So the actual playerbase is higher.
Please don't wish for this game to fail. I don't play that much but this game has potential. I like it very much. So far I don't see any pay to win stuff in this game and they keep updating it. I bought the game way back early access.
Aoi Blue Jun 12 @ 4:38pm 
Part of the problem is that it lists only players that have opted into having their stats public.

This opt-in is never prompted and must be turned on manually. This is something they should fix, by prompting users if they want their stats public on account creation, and placing the option to change your preference somewhere convenient.
Tav Jun 12 @ 4:38pm 
I don't care how many people are playing. I've still got an unpolished game lacking the future episodes I've already paid for.
Tav Jun 12 @ 5:17pm 
Originally posted by Goatleaker:
Originally posted by Tav:
I don't care how many people are playing. I've still got an unpolished game lacking the future episodes I've already paid for.

Yeah man, this is a cut and paste straight from the Kiskstarter:

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtue is the first of a 5 game series of full-length, stand-alone games (each using the same game system), referred to as Episodes 1 through 5. Estimated availability of Episode 1, Forsaken Virtues, is October 2014, with Episodes 2 through 5 estimated for subsequent yearly releases.

They'll just make excuses for that, too. Just an "estimate," right? Doesn't matter that they're years off. Not in any way misleading.

What really concerns me is the lack of progress. I can handle incorrect estimates. That's reasonable. What spooks me is when I see fundraising to pay for future episodes... no previews of upcoming episodes, no discussions, no nothing.
Last edited by Tav; Jun 12 @ 5:19pm
Originally posted by bparry:
https://i.imgur.com/4xuXA20.jpg

2252 players shown on the leaderboards in the last 30 days. this only registers a person if they kill or die in 30 days.

This should finally put to rest the Steam chart believers who think there is only 2xx people in the game lol.

NOPE, shows a RANKING system and CHARACTERS, NOT PLAYERS.

I can see lots of characters with the same rank 2192, and 16 characters share rank 2252, this does not show that there are 2252 Players. Many players have multiple characters btw, so many of those could be same player.

This leaderboard is an inefficient way to obtain player numbers.

OP is spreading misinformation to make game look good.

Edit: Note OP also posted same boast here - {LINK REMOVED}

Interesting replies.

There needs to be a better way of obtaining true numbers. Something which doesn’t currently exist unfortunately, so all numbers other then those shown on Steam and Shroud API are purely speculative.
Last edited by Gamer Lady Jules; Jun 13 @ 1:29am
Aoi Blue Jun 13 @ 5:46am 
Originally posted by Goatleaker:
Originally posted by Tav:
I don't care how many people are playing. I've still got an unpolished game lacking the future episodes I've already paid for.

Yeah man, this is a cut and paste straight from the Kiskstarter:

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtue is the first of a 5 game series of full-length, stand-alone games (each using the same game system), referred to as Episodes 1 through 5. Estimated availability of Episode 1, Forsaken Virtues, is October 2014, with Episodes 2 through 5 estimated for subsequent yearly releases.

They'll just make excuses for that, too. Just an "estimate," right? Doesn't matter that they're years off. Not in any way misleading.
Just because they expected development to take less time than it did, doesn't mean it's not happening. Episode 2 is still being developed, and there have been recent press releases about what will be added if you actually follow their websites.

The marketing plan seems to be to make Episode 1 Free to Play, then charge for the additional episodes. Initial donors will get all episodes for free, including the higher priced early access option.

The game worlds of each episode will be linked by a means similar to the way Hidden Vale is linked to Novia.

They have released a rough map of the extended overworld for Episode 2. It adds a lot of area. It's probably about the scale of half the size of Novia in land mass, but I suspect it will add a very large number of adventuring levels.
StormKat Jun 13 @ 9:47am 
If anyone thinks this game is on solid ground they are delusional. I spent 45 bucks as a benefactor and have come back to the game occasionally to check the progress. 6 years and an incomplete episode 1 and ZERO transparency on the progress of Episode 2. Hardly what I would call stellar progress.
That being said it's not a horrible game. I played for about 6 hours on Saturday to give it a new look. Everything ran well and I didn't experience any game breaking bugs or suffer any real performance issues. The interface doesn't feel fluid and drives away any immersion I may have gained playing through the environment of the game. So I'm at the same conclusion I was after each time I played. It's ok but why play it when I have better options that meet my expectations of a game.
In my opinion, if you want to waylay future criticism and put the rest some of these repeat threads about population, coming episodes, etc, then maybe be a little more transparent about these issues. Second hand info from a twitch stream is not a good way to stem the tide of speculation as to the status of the games development. Killing threads on the official forums and banning people is not going to instil confidence either.

EDIT: I had put something about the slow client download in the stand alone but now it's working. Seems like it's spotty and may require a person to restart the download.
Last edited by StormKat; Jun 13 @ 10:26am
poros1ty Jun 13 @ 11:44am 
Originally posted by bparry:
https://i.imgur.com/4xuXA20.jpg

2252 players shown on the leaderboards in the last 30 days. this only registers a person if they kill or die in 30 days.

This should finally put to rest the Steam chart believers who think there is only 2xx people in the game lol.

Firstly, you're comparing apples and oranges trying to compare those numbers to steamcharts.

Secondly, you've just tripped over your own grenade.

You've only just confirmed that there is barely anybody playing, which just reaffirms the low monthly player count of ~100 average players in the last 30 days and shows evidence that there not a significant difference in the steam playerbase versus the total population.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/true-concerns-about-the-future.119443/page-4

Steamdb used to track total owners and players for each game on Steam, as well as unique players on the last 2 weeks. This info is no longer public or accurate due to privacy changes, but there is data available for last year from the thread above.

For example, in April 2018 (immediately following SOTA launch) the average player count on Steam was 329 players, with ~6,500 unique players on Steam in a period of 2 weeks when it spiked coinciding with the launch sometime in April 2018.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180412050224/http://steamspy.com/app/326160
https://web.archive.org/web/20170313084531/http://steamspy.com/app/326160

Similarly, the players in the last 2 weeks was ~5,848 back on 4/12/2018. It was ~2,206 back in March 2017 when the average steam player count for that month was 157, which is still more than what it is today (109).

For fun, let us assume that the average 30-day number of players for the month of April 2018 was around 6,500, which is probably not too far off from the actual number, given that 3,285 players played in the last 2 weeks on 3/27/2018 and ~2 weeks later it was 5,848 players, and so the most I could've been for that 4 week period would be ~9100 players, but there would be significant overlap between the those discrete 2 week periods.

So 6500 unique players Steam players in 30 days / 329 average steam player count for March 2018 is a ratio of ~20:1.

The average steam player count is one third that of what it was in April 2018 (329 vs 109). Assuming the ratio is similar, that would put the number of unique players using Steam to play SOTA at ~2200 players in the last 30 days.

So your estimate of 2252 players doesn't really show any significant active playerbase that we can't already estimate alone by just looking at the average number of monthly Steam users now compared to in the past. This leaderboard shows far less players than the 6,500 unique players who played the game in a period of just 2 weeks back in April 2018.





Last edited by poros1ty; Jun 13 @ 12:01pm
Aoi Blue Jun 13 @ 7:14pm 
Originally posted by StormKat:
If anyone thinks this game is on solid ground they are delusional. I spent 45 bucks as a benefactor and have come back to the game occasionally to check the progress. 6 years and an incomplete episode 1 and ZERO transparency on the progress of Episode 2. Hardly what I would call stellar progress.
That being said it's not a horrible game. I played for about 6 hours on Saturday to give it a new look. Everything ran well and I didn't experience any game breaking bugs or suffer any real performance issues. The interface doesn't feel fluid and drives away any immersion I may have gained playing through the environment of the game. So I'm at the same conclusion I was after each time I played. It's ok but why play it when I have better options that meet my expectations of a game.
In my opinion, if you want to waylay future criticism and put the rest some of these repeat threads about population, coming episodes, etc, then maybe be a little more transparent about these issues. Second hand info from a twitch stream is not a good way to stem the tide of speculation as to the status of the games development. Killing threads on the official forums and banning people is not going to instil confidence either.

EDIT: I had put something about the slow client download in the stand alone but now it's working. Seems like it's spotty and may require a person to restart the download.

Development has been slow. If you follow their dev blogs you see they've been doing a lot, and haven't been sitting twiddling their thumbs. However, they've simply gone with what their active player base wants.

Go over to the game forums feature request subforum and check for requests on hurry up with episode 2. There are none.

Their active player base wants them to prioritize adding more creative content (such as deco and skins), more events and working out the balance of the world more, instead of rushing Episode 2. There seems to be only mild interest in getting Episode 2 in the player base.

The initial announcement misread what players wanted, and thus the priorities were set different. If you wanted your priorities to be heard, you should have kept up in the conversations.

If you read the forums you will see the sheer number of people. I have a hard time with your claim of being a benefactor considering you are taking your complaint here instead of the forums. If you spent a single dollar on the game you have access to write on the forums instead.

In the short time I've played, 2 level sections have been added, and 3 wave battles have been added. Additionally several dozen purchasable and a fair number of craftible items have been added in game. This is while there has been a pass of massive improvement to balance.
Last edited by Aoi Blue; Jun 13 @ 7:18pm
Tav Jun 13 @ 7:17pm 
Originally posted by Aoi Blue:
The initial announcement misread what players wanted, and thus the priorities were set different. If you wanted your priorities to be heard, you should have kept up in the conversations.

That is outright lunacy. I don't PAY for something specific and then try to convince them to continue working on what I paid for... what sort of logic is that?
How anyone can claim this game is doing well is beyond me- Even if you enjoy the hell out of it (I dont btw...) you are not being honest with yourself if you believe anything about this game (development speed/population) is doing well.

I enjoy niche things and i often enjoy things other think is crap- However, I can still look at things I enjoy through an honest lens- Sadly many cannot.
gerald2 Jun 14 @ 5:18am 
Originally posted by Tav:
I don't care how many people are playing. I've still got an unpolished game lacking the future episodes I've already paid for.
lacking future episodes ,and what worse still having same bugs wchich exist from very start ...
Originally posted by Vladamir Begemot:
Oooh boy, here they come. Expect a lot of excuses from people who want the game to fail.

FYI, that doesn't include people who are strictly crafters, decorators, role players, event coordinators, etc. So the actual playerbase is higher.

Since a big part of the game was supposed to revolve around housing the difference between the people that can be measured and those that can't might indeed be massive. Or not. Perhaps it's whales keeping it afloat. If it's on it's last legs then they'll be some ♥♥♥♥♥♥ off whales along with their prince that Trump just met.
Although I absolutely love Trump... we should keep politics aside from games. Besides, Richard Garriot states on his social media his hatred of Trump (mostly from ignorance).... alienating him from 50% of his potential player base in the states. Compounding this fact with SOTA's poor performance, he should be neutral with his political views for this game to have a chance to survive. I do feel sorry for the rest of the team that tries to make this game work.

The fact of the matter is - they need 10k minimum player base to survive. Whether its 2k or 200 now, they are severely under quota for an extended period of time... hence you can't be surprised if everyone is negative with the outcome/trajectory of this game.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 15 30 50