DiRT Rally

DiRT Rally

View Stats:
DiRT Rally > General Chat > Topic Details
Chookies Nov 5, 2015 @ 7:04am
Micro Stuttering & Low FPS - FOUND THE PROBLEM!
So, when I was playing F1 2015 I had this problem where if I plug my G27 in I would loose fps and the game started this micro stutter thing just like Dirt rally. So I did the same thing, I unplugged my G27 and MAGIC! Without the wheel plugged in to my computer I have a stable 60+fps with no micro stutter, not even once! Then i plugged my controller in to the same game without quitting or changing anything and there it goes again , micro stutter and fps loss. Now I know that pretty much none of the Codemasters games like the G27 and pretty much any other wheel because I haven't had this problem with Assetto Corsa or any other driving/racing games before. So here is your problem, unplug your wheel/controller and play with the keyboard for a good 10-15 minutes and then plug your wheel/controller back into your PC and you can see it too. Hope this gives anything to the devs that they can use to fix this.
< >
Showing 16-30 of 54 comments
Manwith Noname Nov 5, 2015 @ 9:04am 
Originally posted by ChookiesCookies:
No cpu bottleneck everything seems to fine except my GPU...

Are you sure? How did you check?
Chookies Nov 5, 2015 @ 9:35am 
Originally posted by Manwith Noname:
Originally posted by ChookiesCookies:
No cpu bottleneck everything seems to fine except my GPU...

Are you sure? How did you check?
Same way as I checked my GPU it's just a gadget called GPU and CPU meter I also checked temperatures with Speccy and they all semmed fine except the GPU.
Manwith Noname Nov 5, 2015 @ 9:41am 
Ok, so you have to tab out of the game and look at the reading? It's on another display you can see while experiencing the problem? It has graphs that can be analysed to see details you might not notice while playing? It displays total CPU usage or individual core usage?

If you use MSI Afterburner with HWInfo, you can have the information overlayed while you play. You can also graph things in the background for more detailed analysis when not playing.

I'm almost convinced that for your GPU usage to drop that much, something is happening with the CPU that isn't being noticed.
Last edited by Manwith Noname; Nov 5, 2015 @ 9:41am
[AiR] MikeDH Nov 5, 2015 @ 9:51am 
Originally posted by ChookiesCookies:
*snip* ... I think there is something wrong with how the game is handling the different graphics cards, because almost everyone with a 970 or 980 have this problem.

I dont' think so. My spec is i7 2600k / 970 GTX / Win 10 x64. I've no single problem with stuttering. To be more specific i "never" had problems with stuttering. But i use a T500 RS. I own a G27 too, but i retired it because logitech is not able to provide actual drivers. The Logitech Gamesoftware is very old. The next problem with the wheel was that sometimes the FFB goes weird because the refresh rate was to high. I think you can't blaim CM if Logitech doesn't support the Hardware correctly.

In other games there was also a problem with multiple controllers plugged in.

The Wheel is the only GameController you plugged in?

Edit: You say 60+ fps? What is the refresh rate of your display? Maybe the Game sends to much FFB Signals to the wheel which the driver cannot handle and the game waits for the wheel? What if you set the refresh rate to 60Hz? Are you using vSync? Although another known problem with the ego engine ... vSync ... :D ... or maybe a special FFB effect which is not supported by the wheel. If FFB is turned off, and the wheel is plugged in is there micro stutter too?
Last edited by [AiR] MikeDH; Nov 5, 2015 @ 10:02am
Calamity Nov 5, 2015 @ 10:01am 
I lose FPS (from 100~to 50 FPS in 10 mins of playing) and i am using an AMD card and a Xbox gamepad. And no this only started to happen with this new update.
Chookies Nov 5, 2015 @ 10:12am 
Originally posted by Manwith Noname:
Ok, so you have to tab out of the game and look at the reading? It's on another display you can see while experiencing the problem? It has graphs that can be analysed to see details you might not notice while playing? It displays total CPU usage or individual core usage?

If you use MSI Afterburner with HWInfo, you can have the information overlayed while you play. You can also graph things in the background for more detailed analysis when not playing.

I'm almost convinced that for your GPU usage to drop that much, something is happening with the CPU that isn't being noticed.
I have the game on another display while checking the temps and other things on my 2nd display. Yes the program can show me all the CPU cores their temp, usage, and everything pretty much.



Chookies Nov 5, 2015 @ 10:14am 
Originally posted by MikeDH:
Originally posted by ChookiesCookies:
*snip* ... I think there is something wrong with how the game is handling the different graphics cards, because almost everyone with a 970 or 980 have this problem.

I dont' think so. My spec is i7 2600k / 970 GTX / Win 10 x64. I've no single problem with stuttering. To be more specific i "never" had problems with stuttering. But i use a T500 RS. I own a G27 too, but i retired it because logitech is not able to provide actual drivers. The Logitech Gamesoftware is very old. The next problem with the wheel was that sometimes the FFB goes weird because the refresh rate was to high. I think you can't blaim CM if Logitech doesn't support the Hardware correctly.

In other games there was also a problem with multiple controllers plugged in.

The Wheel is the only GameController you plugged in?

Edit: You say 60+ fps? What is the refresh rate of your display? Maybe the Game sends to much FFB Signals to the wheel which the driver cannot handle and the game waits for the wheel? What if you set the refresh rate to 60Hz? Are you using vSync? Although another known problem with the ego engine ... vSync ... :D ... or maybe a special FFB effect which is not supported by the wheel. If FFB is turned off, and the wheel is plugged in is there micro stutter too?
Too much ffb signal could it really be a problem? I have a monitor with a 60hz refresh rate, I always keep it at 60 and my ffb is pretty much default as it was when I first loaded the game. Codies had this "solution" that my mouse might be a problem but even if i plug it out it still doing it. And it has to be CM because every other racing game works perfectly with my wheel except 2 CM games.
Oyster Nov 5, 2015 @ 10:34am 
Originally posted by ChookiesCookies:
Too much ffb signal could it really be a problem? I have a monitor with a 60hz refresh rate, I always keep it at 60 and my ffb is pretty much default as it was when I first loaded the game. Codies had this "solution" that my mouse might be a problem but even if i plug it out it still doing it. And it has to be CM because every other racing game works perfectly with my wheel except 2 CM games.

I doubt it. I always played the game at 100hz without any problem before the last patch.
Manwith Noname Nov 5, 2015 @ 10:36am 
Originally posted by ChookiesCookies:
Too much ffb signal could it really be a problem?

Actually, yes. There were reports with Assetto Corsa and Microsoft Sidewinder users having problems. Going in to one of the configs and changing the FFB response time solved it.

I can't remember what the exact problems were but it could be similar I guess. The thing is, a G25 / G27 should be capable of dealing with the higher response times modern games are using.

Edit: Here's a post about it, maybe read the whole thread if you're interested.
Last edited by Manwith Noname; Nov 5, 2015 @ 10:39am
Chookies Nov 5, 2015 @ 11:08am 
Originally posted by Manwith Noname:
Originally posted by ChookiesCookies:
Too much ffb signal could it really be a problem?

Actually, yes. There were reports with Assetto Corsa and Microsoft Sidewinder users having problems. Going in to one of the configs and changing the FFB response time solved it.

I can't remember what the exact problems were but it could be similar I guess. The thing is, a G25 / G27 should be capable of dealing with the higher response times modern games are using.

Edit: Here's a post about it, maybe read the whole thread if you're interested.
Thanks for the info!
Chookies Nov 5, 2015 @ 11:20am 
There is nothing else, I tried everything I am giving up on this game. Anyways I hope this gets fixed one day and then I can play but for now I am not willing to waste any more of my time trying to find a solution. But thanks for the infos and all :DD
spoon66 Nov 5, 2015 @ 12:02pm 
I have the poor FPS & stuttering to.
Though that was after moving to Win 10.
Before every thing was fine in win 8 .

though not fully maxed out.

Now it plain bad even running at the lowest settings is poor FPS & Stutters all over the place.
I am to running a G27 setup.

Running a i5 at 4ghz 8 gigs ram & a AMD 7950 1024 .
Still find it hard that in just a few days its gone from be able to paly to forget it.

I ran it before the last update & had all sorts of slowing down issues , so my problem was since I moved onto win 10 I followed DM instructions after getting the none starting game error code.

It worked but was more likea slide show than DR was only a week or to ago.
So dropped all my settings to low & then it ran okish .

But still big spikes in sudden stutters & slowdowns.

I did some searching around read the AMD latest drivers were have some issues in Win 10
So I installed the betas just to see.

Ho I forgot I had lots of missing textures & tripping blurring going on on some stages before & after the new AMD drivers.

This other people had happening to in DR.

Other people have talked about big drops in FPS in several games since moving to Win 10.

Ok after the latest update I hoped things may have gotten better but not its a little worse not seing any trippy textures but stuttering is there & low FPS.

I to have read the people are getting slow down soon as the plug there G27 in & not if its unplugged I tried this lastnight & yes there seems to be less stutter with out the wheel been plugged in than without.

You can even see the stuttering in the menu screen the banner text stutters like crazy with the wheel plugged in.

I to would say its some sort of conflict be it software or hardware based .

As I know of all my other games are running fine but not DR.

Not really sure who is to blame is it Microsoft new windows 10 software , if so maybe after next weeks big update & fixes maybe things could start working better.

If its AMD then we could be waiting a while to get it fixed.

CM so far I have found them very good with their wheel support seem odd they would mess up now.
Less they screwed things up while adding support for the new Logitech wheels.

Ho almost forgot could this be Logi techs problem to lets face it profiler for the G27 could do with an update but not much chance of that one now they have the new versions out.

Hope this is not another P-cars type issue that sidlines people who not own the correctly support hardware like the AMD Graphics issues that plagued P-cars on launch.
[AiR] MikeDH Nov 5, 2015 @ 12:45pm 
Originally posted by Manwith Noname:
Originally posted by ChookiesCookies:
Too much ffb signal could it really be a problem?

Actually, yes. There were reports with Assetto Corsa and Microsoft Sidewinder users having problems. Going in to one of the configs and changing the FFB response time solved it.

I can't remember what the exact problems were but it could be similar I guess. The thing is, a G25 / G27 should be capable of dealing with the higher response times modern games are using.

Edit: Here's a post about it, maybe read the whole thread if you're interested.

Too much in form of signals per second is correct. Not too much FFB strength, this is irrelevant. If the strength is to high then the FFB simply clips, which is although annoying but you'll get no stuttering i quess, because the game could send the signals. But if you got the problems since the last patch where they changed the FFB behaviour this would be obviously a change in the effect files which causes this problem. Maybe CM can sent you the ones before the patch. But if you quit ... :/ ... to bad ... normally early access is here to fix these things. This is why a developer jumps in ... think about it ... i can't help cm to fix the problem ... i only can advise to check the FFB refreshrate ... and then you are right it is CM's job.
Last edited by [AiR] MikeDH; Nov 5, 2015 @ 12:52pm
Manwith Noname Nov 5, 2015 @ 12:56pm 
Originally posted by MikeDH:
Too much in form of signals per second is correct. Not too much FFB strength, this is irrelevant.

Yeah, the comments in no way relate to the level of the FFB signal.
[AiR] MikeDH Nov 5, 2015 @ 1:13pm 
Originally posted by Manwith Noname:
Originally posted by MikeDH:
Too much in form of signals per second is correct. Not too much FFB strength, this is irrelevant.

Yeah, the comments in no way relate to the level of the FFB signal.

That's really annoying. As far as i know the G25/G27 Hardware could handle a refresh rate of 500Hz. The T500 RS has initially 125 Hz but got a Firmware Update and now although support 500Hz. So the problem is the very old driver of the G25/27, which is the man in the middle. If CM adds more ffb signals due to the suspension update of the physics engine, this could be the reason. Only way is the reduce the ffb update rate to match the logitech driver maximum, even if the Hardware could handle much more ...
Last edited by [AiR] MikeDH; Nov 5, 2015 @ 1:28pm
< >
Showing 16-30 of 54 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

DiRT Rally > General Chat > Topic Details
Date Posted: Nov 5, 2015 @ 7:04am
Posts: 54