The Long Dark

The Long Dark

View Stats:
Oh, Hi Mark! Oct 7, 2021 @ 11:35am
Removing cinematics is not a solution to black screen problem!
A lot of people having problems with black screen after disclaimer and the article that Hinterland posts suggests that you need to remove opening cutscenes to play the game. But it will only work for survival because any story mode cutscene will trigger that black screen again. And manually removing all cinematics from the game is not a solution because you will lose a lot of important content.

I hope Hinterland is working on a real solution of that problem because forcing people to remove content from their game is not acceptable. Release bugfix as soon as you can, this issue has been known to you for a long time and still you did nothing to prevent it in new episode.
Last edited by Oh, Hi Mark!; Oct 7, 2021 @ 11:45am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
lichazalin Oct 7, 2021 @ 1:18pm 
i am too, please solve problem.
kiplinghu Oct 7, 2021 @ 1:31pm 
yes, please fix this, the update is about the story. Delete the cutscene ruins the story.
rhwilson1953 Oct 7, 2021 @ 1:56pm 
Originally posted by Oh, Hi Mark!:
A lot of people having problems with black screen after disclaimer and the article that Hinterland posts suggests that you need to remove opening cutscenes to play the game. But it will only work for survival because any story mode cutscene will trigger that black screen again. And manually removing all cinematics from the game is not a solution because you will lose a lot of important content.

I hope Hinterland is working on a real solution of that problem because forcing people to remove content from their game is not acceptable. Release bugfix as soon as you can, this issue has been known to you for a long time and still you did nothing to prevent it in new episode.
Hinterland says to delete all the files from the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\StreamingAssets\Video\Windows folder. They say nothing about deleting the sub folders located there.
Last edited by rhwilson1953; Oct 7, 2021 @ 2:02pm
Puddy Oct 7, 2021 @ 4:25pm 
Originally posted by rhwilson1953:
Originally posted by Oh, Hi Mark!:
A lot of people having problems with black screen after disclaimer and the article that Hinterland posts suggests that you need to remove opening cutscenes to play the game. But it will only work for survival because any story mode cutscene will trigger that black screen again. And manually removing all cinematics from the game is not a solution because you will lose a lot of important content.

I hope Hinterland is working on a real solution of that problem because forcing people to remove content from their game is not acceptable. Release bugfix as soon as you can, this issue has been known to you for a long time and still you did nothing to prevent it in new episode.
Hinterland says to delete all the files from the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\StreamingAssets\Video\Windows folder. They say nothing about deleting the sub folders located there.

That's how i read it too, delete the files only.

After contacting support however, they said they meant to delete it all, folders too.

They are working on a fix though apparently so we're just gonna have to be patient.
Last edited by Puddy; Oct 7, 2021 @ 4:32pm
azazelcaos Oct 7, 2021 @ 4:56pm 
i'm waitin, i trust hinterland (win7 pc/radeon rx550)
Doctor Sex Oct 7, 2021 @ 8:00pm 
waiting as well, same issues with me. Also have windows 7 and deleting the intro cinematic still makes the game go to black screen when starting episode three
God.Vishna Oct 8, 2021 @ 8:54am 
We need bug fix
asimmo Oct 8, 2021 @ 8:41pm 
Not working here either. Windows 7.
EX Oct 8, 2021 @ 10:09pm 
Bei mir hatt das gestern geholfen. Allerdings habe ich jetzt viele Graphikfehler. Konnte aber noch nicht testen ob die Fehler auch bei alten Episoden oder Überlebensmodus sind
Spiel und Missionen starten aber jetzt. Steam auf Mac

https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020144152-Running-the-Game-using-OpenGL
MAJOR DEATH Oct 8, 2021 @ 11:24pm 
Originally posted by azazelcaos:
i'm waitin, i trust hinterland (win7 pc/radeon rx550)

A fool and his money are easily parted.
Doctor Sex Oct 9, 2021 @ 7:20am 
Originally posted by paulosoaresluz:
Guys,
There’s a known issue with Win7. Please visit: https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408005055636-Windows-7-Black-Screen-After-Disclaimer-or-Starting-WINTERMUTE-Episodes
I have done this and still get black screen entering episode three, this doesn't solve it
kiplinghu Oct 9, 2021 @ 9:12am 
This is a known issue with many Unity Engine games. A better fix for now is to transcode all the .mp4 files to .webm with VP8 as its codec. After that, you have to delete the mp4 files.
The software i'm using is Handbrake, you can find it on Github. Took my laptop 1.5 hours to transcode all the files. now it's working Fine.
Doctor Sex Oct 9, 2021 @ 8:19pm 
Originally posted by kiplinghu:
This is a known issue with many Unity Engine games. A better fix for now is to transcode all the .mp4 files to .webm with VP8 as its codec. After that, you have to delete the mp4 files.
The software i'm using is Handbrake, you can find it on Github. Took my laptop 1.5 hours to transcode all the files. now it's working Fine.
Any chance you can make the converted files available for us to download? pls?
alastairkendall Oct 9, 2021 @ 9:51pm 
Originally posted by ReynaRuina:
Originally posted by paulosoaresluz:
Guys,
There’s a known issue with Win7. Please visit: https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408005055636-Windows-7-Black-Screen-After-Disclaimer-or-Starting-WINTERMUTE-Episodes
I have done this and still get black screen entering episode three, this doesn't solve it
Yes, I just came here to find out why the game isn't launching. I had deleted the file they told me too and when I wrote to them recently, there reply didn't seem to suggest that this fix was a priority. Well it should be a priority given none of us can play Episode 4 who use Windows 7. Not fair.
Last edited by alastairkendall; Oct 9, 2021 @ 9:52pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 7, 2021 @ 11:35am
Posts: 20