RimWorld

RimWorld

RimWorld > General Discussions > Topic Details
Can I get some, not total noob, but still noob advices/tips?
Is there any way to get 2 colonists to become lovers (ntgh weird I just need an extra room without having to build one)?
Why do all my colonists hate eachother (not all, the 2 that are married have a positive releishenship, each has 1 friend but all others are rivals and all of them like my prisoners better than eachother)?
Is there anyway to predict/know how long a mental break will last for? Anyway to forcfully end it faster (I tried arresting him but then I had to recruit him again which seemed like more work than just letting him destroy my stack of components)?
I am having troubles crafting more complex products, I know i have to set the bill on crafting station, but honestly I would sooner make beer in RL than in this game. Any tips on this subject are welcomed.
Are traders just a random event that a storyteller creates or do they come by at least semi-periodically?
Do men-in-black come every time ur colony is on a brink of collapse for its first time or is it 'luck' to get him/her?
Why do raiders set my crops, walls on fire despite my colonists being set in my wannabe killbox and raiders having a free path to them?anyway to stop that?
I've set up barricades in front of my firing line but the enemies just walk over them to start meleeing my colonists. Is there any structure i can build to allow my colonists to fire over it but dont allow for enemies (or my colonists) to walk over them?
Any oter ways of getting new colonists other than quests and recruiting surviving raiders (I am all for the greater good, but I still want to beat up then tend to and beat up again that one guy that killed my fav colonist rather than recruit him)?
Anyone contemplated the moral ramifications of organ harvesting, torturing or am I just overthinking it?
Whats the upper limit on the number of colonists, colonies I can have?
Why do colonists sometimes follow the work, recreational, sleep routine I've set up for them to the letter despite them being sleepy, hungry (getting a major mood debuff from it) and sometimes they just go off to do those things durning worktime despite the hunger, rest lvls not being low enough to get any debuff from it?
I know there are mods to improve, expand gameplay but how do I accually add them to the game? Any mods that most players find fun, exciting to play with (I saw there are 600 pages of mods for this game, please dont make me go through them to find some I think are fun/useful)?
Can I install mods mid game or do I have to start a new colony?
I saw on youtube there are more than just 3 original storytellers. Do i need an expension pack to get those or is it a mod, if so which one?
Mods I'd find fun/useful, if u know where i could find them: zombie apocalypse, cars, alien invasions, pretty much anything mythological, mod to randomize pets name (I really suck at naming, my wolf is called wolfy and my arctic fox arty...it was either that or bob), not necessarily more difficult raids but just more of them, mod that would allow me to build an empire (smth like 50 colonies or so, not that my managment skill are anywhere close to being able to pull it off, yet).
I know I can get this information online, but it would prob take me several hours to find it all where as a experianced player u can probably answer most in a matter of minutes.
Thanks to anyone who accually manage to read through this and a special thanks to anyone who mustred the will to answer some of mine questions after reading through this and, if u accually answer all of my questions just imagine a guy standing next to u saying thanks and bowing his head slighly.
Last edited by lil_foe; Mar 10 @ 3:59am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
Yes, here's the tip - stop using a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ kill box and play the game properly.
Here is a mod that addresses one of your issues
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2296557502
To install it hit the subscribe button on that mod's page, and then from the in-game main menu select mods to add it to your currently active mods.

There's even a mod to make that process easier to use
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1507748539
Last edited by AngleWyrm; Mar 10 @ 4:16am
M | Fuchsia Mar 10 @ 4:33am 
3
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Is there any way to get 2 colonists to become lovers (ntgh weird I just need an extra room without having to build one)?
Not really, you can force them to spend a lot of time in close proximity (eg working next to eachother) and if they like eachother this may happen, but it's still just chance.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Why do all my colonists hate eachother (not all, the 2 that are married have a positive releishenship, each has 1 friend but all others are rivals and all of them like my prisoners better than eachother)?
Sometimes people just are not compatible. Also doing certain acts will make people hate eachother, like butchering humans, killing family members that show up in raids, harvesting organs.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Is there anyway to predict/know how long a mental break will last for? Anyway to forcfully end it faster (I tried arresting him but then I had to recruit him again which seemed like more work than just letting him destroy my stack of components)?
Each mental break has a minimum and maximum time, minor ones are usually between 20000 and 60000 ticks (5 to 16 minutes), major vary widely with destructive ones being quite short. The longest ones are Psycho wondering (70000-90000 tick/20-25 minute) and catatonia (100000 to 300000 tick/30-80 minute). All mental breaks barring catatonia can be ended prematurely by arresting or beating the ♥♥♥♥ out of the colonist (this will yield relationship loss). This does have the downside of losing the +30 catharsis buff for completing a mental break, and arresting a pawn gives a mood loss.
Also once you arrest a pawn you do not need to recruit them again, you can just release them and they will rejoin.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
I am having troubles crafting more complex products, I know i have to set the bill on crafting station, but honestly I would sooner make beer in RL than in this game. Any tips on this subject are welcomed.
On things that require time to build it is best to keep enough wort to fill your barrels on hand, but stored, and then just roll your beer production so you always have some finishing up. But anything that is advanced will take some time to make.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Are traders just a random event that a storyteller creates or do they come by at least semi-periodically?
The are random. But you can add a rule to a scenario if you want them to come consistently.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Do men-in-black come every time ur colony is on a brink of collapse for its first time or is it 'luck' to get him/her?
When every colonist you have is downed or dead the game will roll for the event. But it is just a random chance.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Why do raiders set my crops, walls on fire despite my colonists being set in my wannabe killbox and raiders having a free path to them?anyway to stop that?
To annoy you. Put your crop behind your walls to protect it is the only way.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
I've set up barricades in front of my firing line but the enemies just walk over them to start meleeing my colonists. Is there any structure i can build to allow my colonists to fire over it but dont allow for enemies (or my colonists) to walk over them?
Not in vanilla, you can use chunks to slow down enemies, you can also put a door behind your sandbag so that when enemies are close you can just step backwards and have the door shut.
You can also get an embrasure mod.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Any oter ways of getting new colonists other than quests and recruiting surviving raiders (I am all for the greater good, but I still want to beat up then tend to and beat up again that one guy that killed my fav colonist rather than recruit him)?
You can buy colonists from slavers, you can also rescue crash landed pawns and patch them up and they may choose to stay with you. However after a certain number of pawns is reached (dependant on story teller) they will always choose to leave you.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Anyone contemplated the moral ramifications of organ harvesting, torturing or am I just overthinking it?
Your moral duty is to your colonists first!
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Whats the upper limit on the number of colonists, colonies I can have?
There is no "hard" limit, but each story teller has a low, soft and critical cap for colonists, when you reach the soft cap the game will make recruiting harder on prisoners, you will get fewer slavers and crashlanded survivors, once you reach the critical cap the game will go out of its way to remove a few of your colonists. If you are below the low cap the game will try and give you more followers with events and slavers.
The caps are as follows
Cassandra/Pheobe 4/13/18
Randy 4/13/50
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Why do colonists sometimes follow the work, recreational, sleep routine I've set up for them to the letter despite them being sleepy, hungry (getting a major mood debuff from it) and sometimes they just go off to do those things durning worktime despite the hunger, rest lvls not being low enough to get any debuff from it?
They will check to see if they could be eating right now when they are not currently working, but once they start doing a job they will stick to it until done. For short jobs like growing or cooking they will check a lot to see if they can skip out on work. But for longer jobs like tailoring they will probably stick to it until the schedule ends.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
I know there are mods to improve, expand gameplay but how do I accually add them to the game? Any mods that most players find fun, exciting to play with (I saw there are 600 pages of mods for this game, please dont make me go through them to find some I think are fun/useful)?
There a few guides on the workshop that have good modlists in them, also look through the top rated mods to see if anything strikes your fancy. The "Vanilla Expanded" series is a pretty guide suite of mods and is worth checking out once you get bored of regular vanilla.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Can I install mods mid game or do I have to start a new colony?
Most mods are fine to drop in mid save, some will cause issues though. Check the mod description and it will usually list if it is not. If a mod adds a new faction then you will need the faction discovery mod for them to be added to your world without starting a new save.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
I saw on youtube there are more than just 3 original storytellers. Do i need an expension pack to get those or is it a mod, if so which one?
Some mods add new storytellers.
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Mods I'd find fun/useful, if u know where i could find them: zombie apocalypse, cars, alien invasions, pretty much anything mythological, mod to randomize pets name (I really suck at naming, my wolf is called wolfy and my arctic fox arty...it was either that or bob), not necessarily more difficult raids but just more of them, mod that would allow me to build an empire (smth like 50 colonies or so, not that my managment skill are anywhere close to being able to pull it off, yet).
I will post a collection of general decent mods for you to peruse in a moment. Also animals will get given a random name when a colonist bonds with them.


Here is a very quick collection of just QoL mods I threw together.
The only mods in this pack that change any game functionality are Smart Medicine and Smarter Construction.
These mods basically just give you better menu functionality or tools to view information you would already have available.
The work tab mod also lets you break apart jobs and set values for each part of the job (Eg separate priority for butcher and cook).

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2420395426

This is the vanilla expanded mod suite. These mods are all quite well made and are some of the best available mods on the workshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1884025115

Here is a collection of small mods that either add a little to the game, change vanilla functionality a little bit. Nothing in here will change the game up too drastically though, although Yayo Combat will make combat quite a bit more lethal if you don't use armour.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2420403220

For anything that will change the game more drastically I would suggest thinking of what you want from a set of mods and then asking around for mods that specifically fit that sort of playthrough. It's best to build a focused collection of mods that work together rather than throwing everything and the kitchen sink in. Because load times and performance can tank quite badly.
Last edited by M | Fuchsia; Mar 10 @ 5:09am
If you are running lots of mods, the beefier the processor you are running and the more RAM you have available will serve well to drastically reduce load times and cut back on lag. Every single mod you add increases the strain Rimworld will add to your computer and while each individually has little impact, it adds up. I reccommend using the packs that Fuchsia as examples, maybe try them out and see what they have to offer, however my advice is to not just add mods willy nilly, think of whether or not "X" mod will add something to your gameplay. There is no point imo in adding mods that add stuff that you won't even interact with in a playthrough, it's increasing the hit to performance for no reason.
Last edited by Firestorm; Mar 10 @ 5:32am
Originally posted by Firestorm:
If you are running lots of mods, the beefier the processor you are running and the more RAM you have available will serve well to drastically reduce load times and cut back on lag. Every single mod you add increases the strain Rimworld will add to your computer and while each individually has little impact, it adds up. I reccommend using the packs that Fuchsia as examples, maybe try them out and see what they have to offer, however my advice is to not just add mods willy nilly, think if this mod will add something to your gameplay. There is no point imo in adding mods that add stuff that you won't even interact with in a playthrough, it's increasing the hit to performance for no reason.
This is sound advice. I will also add that initial loadtime will always become awful if you add a lot of mods. No amount of ram will help, you will always have an ass initial load time if you have a ton of mods. On top of that Rimworld is not multi-threaded. So you need one really beefy core to get good performance.

Every mod will have a small impact on performance. However mods that run scripts will have the main impact you need to worry about. This can be from both small and large mods. In the initial QoL pack I posted there is a mod called Dubs performance analyser which can be used to check what mods are calling resources, it is very useful for working out what is causing performance loss.

Also while adding mods mid-save is well and good. Removing mods mid-save can cause issues, especially mods that add new content. While it is possible to drop mods during a playthrough you need to make sure that everything added by that mod is scrubbed from the save, including hedifs, which unless you know how to use devmode will be quite difficult. This is especially bad for removing mods that add new weapons or animals. So it is a very good idea to be judicious with what mods you include in a playthrough.
Last edited by M | Fuchsia; Mar 10 @ 5:38am
Originally posted by Fuchsia:
On top of that Rimworld is not multi-threaded. So you need one really beefy core to get good performance.
*Laughs in Rimthreaded*
lil_foe Mar 10 @ 7:42am 
Originally posted by HDD3:
Yes, here's the tip - stop using a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ kill box and play the game properly.

I got attacked by 6 raiders armed with melee only, no armor on them. I had 7 colonists, 1 with heavy smg, 1 shotgun and the rest with pistols, revolvers...now i have 5 colonists 1 of which is missing his left hand and right leg, 1 lost an eye and a right hand and that is with using what I call a killbox (metal wall square with entry on 1 side and a firing line on the other). How, just how am I suppose to fight them fairly or properly as u said it???

!!!Also thanks a lot to everybody that responded, this was super fast and helpful!!!
Originally posted by lil_foe:
Is there any way to get 2 colonists to become lovers (ntgh weird I just need an extra room without having to build one)?
If you're playing Royalty there's a psycast that can be used to make it a lot more likely for pawns to become lovers with each other.
Otherwise no.
As for rooms, you could just use barracks instead, stuffing multiple people into one room. They won't like it as much but it's way more space efficient.

Is there anyway to predict/know how long a mental break will last for? Anyway to forcfully end it faster (I tried arresting him but then I had to recruit him again which seemed like more work than just letting him destroy my stack of components)?
All mental breaks except Catatonic, Run Wild, and Gave Up will be ended by arresting them. Some breaks will end while they're being carried to the prison (like Tantrum or Murderous Rage) and so you can just undraft the pawn and they'll be fine, others will end when they're put into the prison for real.
Except for Run Wild and Gave Up, you don't need to Recruit them, you can just Release them and they'll rejoin with a -10 mood debuff for a few days.
For Gave Up in particular, while you can't just arrest and Release, they WILL rejoin you if you beat the ♥♥♥♥ out of them as they try to leave the map.

Anyone contemplated the moral ramifications of organ harvesting, torturing or am I just overthinking it?
Rimworld is best described as a warcrime simulator.

Originally posted by lil_foe:
Originally posted by HDD3:
Yes, here's the tip - stop using a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ kill box and play the game properly.

I got attacked by 6 raiders armed with melee only, no armor on them. I had 7 colonists, 1 with heavy smg, 1 shotgun and the rest with pistols, revolvers...now i have 5 colonists 1 of which is missing his left hand and right leg, 1 lost an eye and a right hand and that is with using what I call a killbox (metal wall square with entry on 1 side and a firing line on the other). How, just how am I suppose to fight them fairly or properly as u said it???
The way to fight melee-only groups of enemies is to limit how many of them can attack you at once. Hold open a door and set your guys up on the other side of it, that way only a single enemy can attack you at once while all of yours can attack them.
Originally posted by Fuchsia:
snip
All useful tips, however if I remember correctly pawns still receive the "Catharsis" buff after arresting them, though that might have changed in a recent hotfix. However catharsis' duration is shorter than duration of the debuff for being arrested.
rubish 1 Mar 10 @ 8:24am 
you could try the empire mod for an empire and rimworld of magic for magic ;o antimatter anihlation save our ship and glitter tech are also fun and theres a zombie apocalypse one as well just search it up
Originally posted by bearhiderug:
this helps for relations

stuff people into closer proximity more often
people who rescue others will boost opnions, so you can cheese by forceing pawns down
healing and dcotors gt high opnions, where + social

realy ez =]
Unless they really really hate each other even after that.
Then it would be best to separate them, put them on different schedules. One works at night, other one works at day.
Originally posted by Smelly Fish:
Originally posted by bearhiderug:
this helps for relations

stuff people into closer proximity more often
people who rescue others will boost opnions, so you can cheese by forceing pawns down
healing and dcotors gt high opnions, where + social

realy ez =]
Unless they really really hate each other even after that.
Then it would be best to separate them, put them on different schedules. One works at night, other one works at day.
There is actually a forbidden technique to make people like eachother more.
Take one of the pawns that you want to improve relationships with and either have someone beat the ♥♥♥♥ out of them or force them to OD on drugs, have the other one rescue him, repeat until the relationship is better and then swap the pawns over.
Originally posted by Fuchsia:
Originally posted by Smelly Fish:
Unless they really really hate each other even after that.
Then it would be best to separate them, put them on different schedules. One works at night, other one works at day.
There is actually a forbidden technique to make people like eachother more.
Take one of the pawns that you want to improve relationships with and either have someone beat the ♥♥♥♥ out of them or force them to OD on drugs, have the other one rescue him, repeat until the relationship is better and then swap the pawns over.
Doesn't the "rescued" relationship buff decay after a while? If they are incompatible then they will just hate themselves again. I'd rather put them on different schedules than have injured pawns possibly with crushed noses and fingers when a raid could happen right around the corner.
Last edited by Smelly Fish; Mar 10 @ 12:27pm
Originally posted by Smelly Fish:
Originally posted by Fuchsia:
There is actually a forbidden technique to make people like eachother more.
Take one of the pawns that you want to improve relationships with and either have someone beat the ♥♥♥♥ out of them or force them to OD on drugs, have the other one rescue him, repeat until the relationship is better and then swap the pawns over.
Doesn't the "rescued" relationship buff decay after a while? If they are incompatible then they will just hate themselves again. I'd rather put them on different schedules than have injured pawns possibly with crushed noses and fingers when a raid could happen right around the corner.
You can get replacement fingers and noses in raids so it's no biggy.
And yeah it will decay, but it pawns with high relation gain additional compatibility, so while they like eachother they will have a bunch of positive interactions.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

RimWorld > General Discussions > Topic Details