RimWorld

RimWorld

RimWorld > General Discussions > Topic Details
thebritt2001 Mar 23, 2017 @ 6:57am
How to travel
Hey guys,

I can't figure out how to send my colonists to go travelling around the globe. I was under the impression from certain parts in the game (like the good stuff good for travelling) that I could go wandering around. I can't figure out how to do that. I also thought you could set up a second colony on another tile of the planetary map?
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Radiosity Mar 23, 2017 @ 10:53am 
I haven't tried caravans yet, but you can send people and supplies to different tiles by building the cargo pods and launching those. You'll need to be able to refine fuel for them as well. And yes, you can make a new colony (up to 5 by default), again by sending cargo pods out. Be aware that colonies DO NOT PAUSE, so if you're handling stuff in one, catastrophes can still occur in the others if you're not looking, it's a good idea to make sure your main colony is self-sufficient before sending people out to settle a new one.
FR Mathlaguerre Mar 23, 2017 @ 12:21pm 
Go to the world tab (where you see the world), select your colony, you now have a button "form a caravan".
Select the items/pawns/animals you want to send, the exit location, confirm and you're done, the people you selected will start preparing themselves.
Radiosity Mar 23, 2017 @ 12:46pm 
Originally posted by FR Mathlaguerre:
Go to the world tab (where you see the world), select your colony, you now have a button "form a caravan".
Select the items/pawns/animals you want to send, the exit location, confirm and you're done, the people you selected will start preparing themselves.
Neato, will have to give that a try whenever I play a new colony, been itching to try a two colony game.
FR Mathlaguerre Mar 23, 2017 @ 12:51pm 
Originally posted by Radiosity:
Originally posted by FR Mathlaguerre:
Go to the world tab (where you see the world), select your colony, you now have a button "form a caravan".
Select the items/pawns/animals you want to send, the exit location, confirm and you're done, the people you selected will start preparing themselves.
Neato, will have to give that a try whenever I play a new colony, been itching to try a two colony game.
Just a tip:
if you just send a pawn and more than one pack animal, if your pawn is loading an animal, other colonist may try to unload the other (it happened once, just keep the other busy).

Oh and I highly recommand the "set up camp" mod, it allow you to take a stop anywhere and not just when you are ambushed ,it's usefull to get ressources like food or for long travels, it also allow for a nomadic style of gameplay.
Last edited by FR Mathlaguerre; Mar 23, 2017 @ 12:52pm
Radiosity Mar 24, 2017 @ 8:24am 
Cool, thanks for the tip :)
thebritt2001 Mar 24, 2017 @ 6:49pm 
Great advice from everyone, thanks guys. I tried the "form a new caravan" method first and moved everyone all at once to see what would happen. I had to "abandon" my original colony and then I could build a new one.

I think the colony pod method would be a good idea in future if I want to do it properly. I suppose the idea would be to send out a small band, find a place I like and then send further resources and people via the colony pods.

That mod does sound good. I actually don't have any mods installed at all, suppose I'll go take a took. Generally I prefer to play games 'as meant to be played'.
FR Mathlaguerre Mar 25, 2017 @ 1:59am 
Originally posted by thebritt2001:
Great advice from everyone, thanks guys. I tried the "form a new caravan" method first and moved everyone all at once to see what would happen. I had to "abandon" my original colony and then I could build a new one.

I think the colony pod method would be a good idea in future if I want to do it properly. I suppose the idea would be to send out a small band, find a place I like and then send further resources and people via the colony pods.

That mod does sound good. I actually don't have any mods installed at all, suppose I'll go take a took. Generally I prefer to play games 'as meant to be played'.
In the options, you can set the maximum simultaneous colonies you can have, by default it's one (because of performances), that's why you had to abandon your first colony but you can increase it at anytime.
If I remind well, it's a slider.
Last edited by FR Mathlaguerre; Mar 25, 2017 @ 2:00am
thebritt2001 Mar 31, 2017 @ 3:25am 
Originally posted by FR Mathlaguerre:
In the options, you can set the maximum simultaneous colonies you can have, by default it's one (because of performances), that's why you had to abandon your first colony but you can increase it at anytime.
If I remind well, it's a slider.

Ah! Thanks again for the advice dude! Much appreciated!
FR Mathlaguerre Mar 31, 2017 @ 8:02am 
Originally posted by thebritt2001:
Originally posted by FR Mathlaguerre:
In the options, you can set the maximum simultaneous colonies you can have, by default it's one (because of performances), that's why you had to abandon your first colony but you can increase it at anytime.
If I remind well, it's a slider.

Ah! Thanks again for the advice dude! Much appreciated!
You're welcome, enjoy ^^
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

RimWorld > General Discussions > Topic Details
Date Posted: Mar 23, 2017 @ 6:57am
Posts: 9