Depth
Depth > General Discussions > Topic Details
BabyCat  [developer] Jun 29, 2017 @ 7:54pm
An Introduction for Maneater
As some of you will remember, just over a year ago Digital Confectioners and Alex Quick, former Creative Director of Depth, decided to part ways. Since then Digital Confectioners have continued developing Depth. Alex has formed his own team, Blindside Interactive, who have been developing a new single player game titled Maneater. Digital Confectioners are unrelated to this project, so we’ve decided to make this post to provide some more info to alleviate confusion between the two brands.

As Depth was built as a joint effort of Digital Confectioners and Alex Quick, we agreed upon both parties retaining usage rights for all of Depth’s code and game assets when we parted ways. Although Maneater is in a new engine (Unreal Engine 4), it still makes use of some of the same assets as Depth, so it is easy to see why people might think it is part of the Depth universe. However, projects by Digital Confectioners and Blindside Interactive are completely unrelated.

Maneater is now well under development and if you are interested in a single player shark experience we recommend following their progress on their IndieDB page. Blindside Interactive is also now looking for a volunteer community manager which we thought some of you may be interested in.

:dappershark:
Last edited by BabyCat; Jun 29, 2017 @ 7:55pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
Gray Jun 29, 2017 @ 7:57pm 
Single player? Interesting.
Shemp205♡ Jun 29, 2017 @ 7:59pm 
Holy crap! So this is basically the backstory for the battle scarred tiger then?

And that is indeed a picture of Stubbs, I guess some backstory for Stubbs will be covered in there too. This is interesting indeed
Jynn Jun 29, 2017 @ 8:03pm 
Originally posted by Shemp205♡:
Holy crap! So this is basically the backstory for the battle scarred tiger then?

And that is indeed a picture of Stubbs, I guess some backstory for Stubbs will be covered in there too. This is interesting indeed

The post says the two games are completely unrelated.

"Although Maneater is in a new engine (Unreal Engine 4), it still makes use of some of the same assets as Depth, so it is easy to see why people might think it is part of the Depth universe"

as in, it is NOT part of the Depth universe, so those are not backstories for the Depth-versions of those characters
Shemp205♡ Jun 29, 2017 @ 8:05pm 
Originally posted by Jynn:
The post says the two games are completely unrelated.

"Although Maneater is in a new engine (Unreal Engine 4), it still makes use of some of the same assets as Depth, so it is easy to see why people might think it is part of the Depth universe"

as in, it is NOT part of the Depth universe, so those are not backstories for the Depth-versions of those characters

Ohhh so they look similar but this takes place in a compleatly different universe, I see. Still pretty cool though
Wesk Jun 29, 2017 @ 9:31pm 
Nice to see Depth assets in UE4, it's gonna fuel that fire for Depth 2: The Depthening.
Last edited by Wesk; Jun 29, 2017 @ 9:40pm
crunchy spingus Jun 29, 2017 @ 10:08pm 
Originally posted by BabyCat:
As some of you will remember, just over a year ago Digital Confectioners and Alex Quick, former Creative Director of Depth, decided to part ways. Since then Digital Confectioners have continued developing Depth. Alex has formed his own team, Blindside Interactive, who have been developing a new single player game titled Maneater. Digital Confectioners are unrelated to this project, so we’ve decided to make this post to provide some more info to alleviate confusion between the two brands.

As Depth was built as a joint effort of Digital Confectioners and Alex Quick, we agreed upon both parties retaining usage rights for all of Depth’s code and game assets when we parted ways. Although Maneater is in a new engine (Unreal Engine 4), it still makes use of some of the same assets as Depth, so it is easy to see why people might think it is part of the Depth universe. However, projects by Digital Confectioners and Blindside Interactive are completely unrelated.

Maneater is now well under development and if you are interested in a single player shark experience we recommend following their progress on their IndieDB page. Blindside Interactive is also now looking for a volunteer community manager which we thought some of you may be interested in.

:dappershark:
>same knife in the background that was featured in Depth
>capitan Stubbs obviously in the game (holding the baby tiger)
Still feels like the same universe, reguardless. Could've been a backstory for Capitan Stubbs.
ngnht Jun 29, 2017 @ 11:16pm 
Is the person in the boat holding a baby tiger called Cpt. Stubbs?
as in I can see that the person looks like Stubbs, do they have a different name?
[HS]=>®omano Jun 29, 2017 @ 11:36pm 
Did you read the thread before posting? Seriously? I mean, seriously you didn't read it?
ngnht Jun 29, 2017 @ 11:47pm 
If you are talking to me, yes I did. That's why I ask. It's unrelated to Depth, but models and assets are the same. Does the name apply too?

And for future reference, if you are replying to someone, do it like this, here:
Originally posted by HS=>®omano:
Did you read the thread before posting? Seriously? I mean, seriously you didn't read it?
See?
Last edited by ngnht; Jun 29, 2017 @ 11:47pm
AcidicTharj Jun 30, 2017 @ 2:13am 
While it is unrelated, this is pretty much the closest thing we'll get to a depth story mode. Pretty neat!
[I PRo] Seraph Jun 30, 2017 @ 4:25am 
Some of those shots look great already. I do hope they manage to find the time and resources to eventually only have original assets, as that would add more to the game for me.

And now I'm getting more hyped for Depth 2 seeing this in UE4. :greatwhite:
Requiem31 Jun 30, 2017 @ 4:37am 
But will it have laser shork?
cafeaulait Jun 30, 2017 @ 4:43am 
From the screenshots it looks like it will be shark only, meaning no playing as a diver? No thank you.
GlacticaMO Jun 30, 2017 @ 4:44am 
Is it on steam now?
[I PRo] Seraph Jun 30, 2017 @ 4:52am 
Originally posted by GlacticaMO:
Is it on steam now?

You could find that out very easily..
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Depth > General Discussions > Topic Details
Date Posted: Jun 29, 2017 @ 7:54pm
Posts: 35