Nuclear Throne
Butt Germs Aug 6, 2017 @ 3:33pm
Is this game too RNG dependent?
I feel like about 30% of the game is relying on you to not be a moron and run into bullets, while the other 70% depend on what the map layout is. I'm well aware that the nature of roguelikes is to be difficult and random, but NT is way too random for its difficulty. Some of the most annoying examples are several of the scuffles with Big Dog while two snipers stand behind him in an open area filled to the brim with Ravens, Assassins, and cars, nigh everything about the frozen city maps if you spawn in a maze (Lil hunter is a jerk about perfect spawns too), and a personal instance of the labs where two hallways full of every enemy in the labs flooded the 4x4ish room I was in after my only weapon I had ammo for was an energy screwdriver. I don't want to say I'm good at the game (Hell, my best record is getting ruined in the first IDPD hq level as Crystal aka Ms. Handholding), but the game feels like your skill doesn't matter.
Last edited by Butt Germs; Aug 6, 2017 @ 3:33pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
paugus Aug 6, 2017 @ 3:33pm 
No. If you think your skill doesn't matter, it's because you need to get better.
InsaneFirebat Aug 6, 2017 @ 6:10pm 
There's almost always a way out of every crappy situation. Try recording your runs and playing them back when things go bad.
※Snowflake※ (Banned) Aug 6, 2017 @ 7:06pm 
git gud
















But in all seriousness, I do believe it all depends on mostly luck and skill. Be lucky to get a good weapon build but you gotta have skill to wield it.
glass Aug 6, 2017 @ 7:13pm 
Skill matters way more than you think. If you look at thronebutt, a website which records everyone's daily score. You will notice two things.

1) Someone always gets extremely far (This means that there is a way out of every situation)

2) The top players (you can see their 30 latest score), tend to get very far most of the time. This shows that skill plays a large role and they can get runs consistently regardless of layout.
Last edited by glass; Aug 6, 2017 @ 7:13pm
minetime43 Aug 7, 2017 @ 11:58am 
I have to agree here
※Snowflake※ (Banned) Aug 7, 2017 @ 12:08pm 
Originally posted by minetime43:
I have to agree here
Why? Explain please.
minetime43 Aug 7, 2017 @ 12:20pm 
Sometimes you spawn in a small room with good guns

Sometimes you spawn in the open with only a screw driver and 3 snipers aiming at you
※Snowflake※ (Banned) Aug 7, 2017 @ 12:48pm 
Originally posted by minetime43:
Sometimes you spawn in a small room with good guns

Sometimes you spawn in the open with only a screw driver and 3 snipers aiming at you
Luck based. Also a screwdriver can block bullets m8
minetime43 Aug 7, 2017 @ 1:19pm 
Unless you have the reactions of jesus you can't block 3 snipers with

Also luck is rng
Last edited by minetime43; Aug 7, 2017 @ 1:25pm
※Snowflake※ (Banned) Aug 7, 2017 @ 1:24pm 
Originally posted by minetime43:
Unless you have the reactions of jesus you can't block 3 snipers with it
Yes you can. It's not that hard really. With long arms you'll block them easily. Also ever heard of quotes?
minetime43 Aug 7, 2017 @ 1:39pm 
long arms is rng based
Last edited by minetime43; Aug 7, 2017 @ 1:40pm
※Snowflake※ (Banned) Aug 7, 2017 @ 1:42pm 
Originally posted by minetime43:
long arms is rng based
So is a screwdriver and 3 snipers.
Butt Germs Aug 7, 2017 @ 1:43pm 
Originally posted by minetime43:
Rng is luck
See the difference is that I gave examples on why I think its rng based. You're just insisting that it is with little quips and expecting us to back you up. You can't do that man.
minetime43 Aug 7, 2017 @ 2:07pm 
Originally posted by ShroomTV:
Originally posted by minetime43:
long arms is rng based
So is a screwdriver and 3 snipers.
My point

The game can be fun or not fun at all depending on rng
※Snowflake※ (Banned) Aug 7, 2017 @ 2:28pm 
Originally posted by minetime43:
Originally posted by ShroomTV:
So is a screwdriver and 3 snipers.
My point

The game can be fun or not fun at all depending on rng
Not depending on RNG, depending your skill
< >
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Aug 6, 2017 @ 3:33pm
Posts: 32