Hate Plus

Hate Plus

View Stats:
Hate Plus > General Discussions > Topic Details
Kyonko802 Aug 29, 2013 @ 10:42am
Level Four Revive Materia Project
If you've been keeping up with the achievement threads you'll know what this is.

For the uninitiated, this project was implemented by *Sam and myself in order to add a good ending for normal *Mute to Hate Plus. I'll keep it simple here, since the summaries on the Steam group page and the blog are better at explaining.

If you're interested, feel free to follow the blog and keep an eye out. Updates to the project will also appear in this dedicated thread.

Let's save *Mute together.

Steam Group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4RMP

Blog:
http://l4rm.wordpress.com/
< >
Showing 1-15 of 152 comments
noisycat Aug 29, 2013 @ 12:18pm 
Doesn't this seem a little disrespectful to the creator? Couldn't you just accept that she wrote things a certain way? Also, is this an edit of the original files, and if so do you have her permission to do so?

I mean, if it's fanfiction then go ahead. But if it is an edit of the files, you don't want people finding it and thinking it's how the story is supposed to go.
Kyonko802 Aug 29, 2013 @ 12:23pm 
It will be released as a separate file from the game. It's a mod so it has to be attached. There is no commercial gain from this.

If you find a file that states it's a good ending for Mute and attach it to the game, and STILL think it's how the game is supposed to go, that's a misconception on your part.

Disrespectful to the creator? No, I wouldn't say so. We're adding content to her game because we care so much about her character that we're willing to go the extra mile. Love has even stated that she's happy about people tearing the code to pieces to try and save Mute because it means they care about her.
Kyonko802 Aug 29, 2013 @ 2:50pm 
The general concept for application has been laid out, and the script is being written.

Updated the blog with the details I can give out.
Kayeka Aug 29, 2013 @ 2:54pm 
I don't know. The thing is that, after wrecking my brain quite a bit, I just couldn't figure out a way to convince her not to delete her own memories. She was confronted by the huge lie her entire life has been, the guilt over having horribly failed in protectiong the Mugunwha multiple times, and feared having to go to a place that she considered to be barbaric beyond salvation with a man who never actually agreed to be her husband (in my file, at least).

That's a whole lot of depair to deal with all of a sudden and because the inspector can't reach out to her and say something to help her, the decision to stay has to come from *Mute alone. *Mute made a decision, based on her strong sense of duty and convictions.

A *Mute who would make a different decision wouldn't be the same *Mute that I learned to care about. This project wouldn't bring back "my" *Mute, it would just give me another replacement version.

I was quite devastated by *Mute's suicide, but at least I got a very nice bittersweet ending out of it. I'll take that over an edning with a fake *Mute.
Kyonko802 Aug 29, 2013 @ 2:58pm 
Originally posted by Kayeka:
I don't know. The thing is that, after wrecking my brain quite a bit, I just couldn't figure out a way to convince her not to delete her own memories. She was confronted by the huge lie her entire life has been, the guilt over having horribly failed in protectiong the Mugunwha multiple times, and feared having to go to a place that she considered to be barbaric beyond salvation with a man who never actually agreed to be her husband (in my file, at least).

That's a whole lot of depair to deal with all of a sudden and because the inspector can't reach out to her and say something to help her, the decision to stay has to come from *Mute alone. *Mute made a decision, based on her strong sense of duty and convictions.

A *Mute who would make a different decision wouldn't be the same *Mute that I learned to care about. This project wouldn't bring back "my" *Mute, it would just give me another replacement version.

I was quite devastated by *Mute's suicide, but at least I got a very nice bittersweet ending out of it. I'll take that over an edning with a fake *Mute.
That's your prerogative then, and it's not like I can force this on you.

I can assure you though that we're going to stay true to Mute's character.

When it comes to suicide there are certain factors that can effect whether or not the person goes through with it.

In our mod I'm trying to make it so The Investigator can get some interaction, but that doesn't mean that you'll automatically be able to save Mute. She has to see something that would make her stay.

Once the shut down happens, as you said, the decision is all on Mute, and you can't do anything to effect it while the timer is on.

Simply put, you can effect her decision, yes, but in the end it's up to Mute to save herself.
Last edited by Kyonko802; Aug 29, 2013 @ 3:00pm
Mistic Aug 29, 2013 @ 3:01pm 
Well, I like the idea. The author made us think it was possible, so let's make it actually possible! Mods are a good old friend of the gaming community, so I don't see anything bad about it.

However, I agree with Kayeka that there are a lot of pitfalls, especially about *Mute staying in character. Thankfully there's the harem ending to prove how *Mute could manage to rethink her decision, but it was mostly thanks to *Hyun-ae's intervention. Even the choices the investigator had came from *Hyun-ae.

You know, the first time I thought we could use the logs to force the interaction (I think I spent a whole minute clicking on "Please talk to me"), but it seems it wasn't the case.
Last edited by Mistic; Aug 29, 2013 @ 3:05pm
Da_NKP Aug 29, 2013 @ 3:52pm 
Originally posted by Mistic:
Well, I like the idea. The author made us think it was possible, so let's make it actually possible! Mods are a good old friend of the gaming community, so I don't see anything bad about it.

However, I agree with Kayeka that there are a lot of pitfalls, especially about *Mute staying in character. Thankfully there's the harem ending to prove how *Mute could manage to rethink her decision, but it was mostly thanks to *Hyun-ae's intervention. Even the choices the investigator had came from *Hyun-ae.

You know, the first time I thought we could use the logs to force the interaction (I think I spent a whole minute clicking on "Please talk to me"), but it seems it wasn't the case.
Yep, Let me point everyone to a star trek game called Legacy. It was supposed to be the coolest game ever. You know what it was? Terrible, in every way. People loved the game so much though, and not in a quality sense, but a potential one, they modded the game. You know what it is now? Possibly the best star trek game, which helped it's sales level out form it's death-dive.

Now Hate Plus is a great game, don't get me wrong, but there are some (not me) that feel their money was wasted becuase of the innability of helping *Mute. With this mod, people who felt that way can completly enjoy the game again, which already had two other great endings.
Moki Aug 29, 2013 @ 5:36pm 
This mod is basically fanfiction (I don't mean that to be insulting.) I think Love at least finds the idea entertaining. She did seem to like Jewelfox's alternate ending story.
Kyonko802 Aug 29, 2013 @ 6:08pm 
Originally posted by Dolt Moki:
This mod is basically fanfiction (I don't mean that to be insulting.) I think Love at least finds the idea entertaining. She did seem to like Jewelfox's alternate ending story.
Her response to being told about the project on twitter was a surprised "Dang" and nothing more. She's never had a problem with stuff like this, no reason to start now.
Satan's Robot Aug 29, 2013 @ 8:44pm 
I haven't kept up with the Materia thread, but are you fellows currently taking applications for log file writers? I don't have much to say about *Mute's suicide, but there is one way in which Christine Love greatly disappointed me with her latest work, and I believe the situation can and should be rectified.

I would like to submit to your project an erotic scene between Old *Mute and Heo Seo-yeong.

Every other couple in the game talks about their sex life. Gambler Dude and Security Guard, Flower Girl and the Actress, Kim So-yi and the Chef, even Oh Eun-a and Ryu get it on. But not Old *Mute and Heo Seo-yeong. And, while it's great that the game was able to portray both a gay and a lesbian relationship positively, I really think Love could have gone a step further and brought us Old People and Computer People having sex, too.

Old *Mute is as much the protagonist of Hate Plus as anyone, and for her (and only her) not to have their sex life revealed in a game that deals so much with sex and gender is a terrible omission. An omission that--with your help--I feel could be restored, allowing Hate Plus to be the great game we all know it could be.
Kyonko802 Aug 29, 2013 @ 8:51pm 
Originally posted by SSJ_420z3r0_c00l_r4nch:
I haven't kept up with the Materia thread, but are you fellows currently taking applications for log file writers? I don't have much to say about *Mute's suicide, but there is one way in which Christine Love greatly disappointed me with her latest work, and I believe the situation can and should be rectified.

I would like to submit to your project an erotic scene between Old *Mute and Heo Seo-yeong.

Every other couple in the game talks about their sex life. Gambler Dude and Security Guard, Flower Girl and the Actress, Kim So-yi and the Chef, even Oh Eun-a and Ryu get it on. But not Old *Mute and Heo Seo-yeong. And, while it's great that the game was able to portray both a gay and a lesbian relationship positively, I really think Love could have gone a step further and brought us Old People and Computer People having sex, too.

Old *Mute is as much the protagonist of Hate Plus as anyone, and for her (and only her) not to have their sex life revealed in a game that deals so much with sex and gender is a terrible omission. An omission that--with your help--I feel could be restored, allowing Hate Plus to be the great game we all know it could be.
That's not the focus of the project, but if you want you can talk to our coders and see if one is willing to assist.

Also, how would that even work? :O
Satan's Robot Aug 29, 2013 @ 9:17pm 
This may sound fantastical, but I swear it is true: I have spent a lot of time thinking about how that might work, and I think I have an actionable plan. Just watch me.
Zem Aug 29, 2013 @ 9:37pm 
Not wanting to get too ahead of ourselves, or maybe mere formality, but...outside of her reaction to this project, has anyone asked for her "blessing"? Even if it is a fan thing, seperate from her work and non-canon.

Hell, maybe even if we work it (the final project outcome) worthy of being canon-ish and submit it to her, aaaand she agrees, she might make a way for this to trigger the achievement. Wishful thinking, of course.
Kyonko802 Aug 29, 2013 @ 10:48pm 
Originally posted by Zem:
Not wanting to get too ahead of ourselves, or maybe mere formality, but...outside of her reaction to this project, has anyone asked for her "blessing"? Even if it is a fan thing, seperate from her work and non-canon.

Hell, maybe even if we work it (the final project outcome) worthy of being canon-ish and submit it to her, aaaand she agrees, she might make a way for this to trigger the achievement. Wishful thinking, of course.
Considering her lack of reply to me on twitter all I know is that she's not planning on stopping us. That might be all we can get, as I don't think she's planning anything further with Hate Plus.
Da_NKP Aug 30, 2013 @ 3:20am 
Originally posted by Kyonko802:
Originally posted by Zem:
Not wanting to get too ahead of ourselves, or maybe mere formality, but...outside of her reaction to this project, has anyone asked for her "blessing"? Even if it is a fan thing, seperate from her work and non-canon.

Hell, maybe even if we work it (the final project outcome) worthy of being canon-ish and submit it to her, aaaand she agrees, she might make a way for this to trigger the achievement. Wishful thinking, of course.
Considering her lack of reply to me on twitter all I know is that she's not planning on stopping us. That might be all we can get, as I don't think she's planning anything further with Hate Plus.
Speaking of Twitters...
https://twitter.com/Da_NKP/status/371049761895243776
i think this puts a spin on her view of *Mute's suicide/death, perhaps?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 152 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Hate Plus > General Discussions > Topic Details