Fallout: New Vegas

Fallout: New Vegas

View Stats:
LuckyHare87 Feb 24, 2013 @ 7:31am
Dead Money...Really "that" bad?
Is Dead Money really as bad as what people have told me? That its the worst DLC ever to be released for the Fallout games? I'm about to go into it for the first time and I've heard all about it from my friends at the gaming center...now I want to hear from you all? Whats your take on this DLC?
Last edited by LuckyHare87; Feb 24, 2013 @ 8:02am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 48 comments
Mauno Feb 24, 2013 @ 8:54am 
Its my personal favourite.

Many people hate it because they have to change their playstyle to survive in the Sierra Madre. If observing your surroundings and generally being calm is your style, you won't have any problems there.

Lots of people complain also because they can't find a massive amount of weapons / ammo for their weapon skill of choice, but that can also be avoided by looking around. Lots of small stashes of ammo and such everywhere, and you can get hundreds of rounds with the chips.

The story and themes in Dead Money are bloody great. Possibly the best-written part of the entire game. Interesting characters, all with great personalities and motivations.

So yeah, its not bad at all if you're willing to adapt, and its bloody great if you want a different kind of gameplay experience in New Vegas.

Hear beeping? Step back a few meters and look around, instead of rushing forward, getting killed and posting a rage thread on this discussion board.
Last edited by Mauno; Feb 24, 2013 @ 8:56am
Vic Evicerator Feb 24, 2013 @ 9:12am 
Another vote in favor of Dead Money. I liked it a lot (can't compare to the others as it's the only one I've completed so far).
Originally posted by Mauno:
Lots of people complain also because they can't find a massive amount of weapons / ammo for their weapon skill of choice, but that can also be avoided by looking around. Lots of small stashes of ammo and such everywhere, and you can get hundreds of rounds with the chips.

The story and themes in Dead Money are bloody great. Possibly the best-written part of the entire game. Interesting characters, all with great personalities and motivations.

For me, this is the charm of the DLC. The scarce resources give a good level of tension, unlike say, Dead Island, which is just annoying. :P

Aside from that, the second paragraph could be a copypasta for how much I agree with it. XD
Law Feb 24, 2013 @ 9:58am 
I was soured on it mainly from playing a character that didn't have a whole lot of endurance, and Project Nevada probably didn't help with how few hitpoints I had, constantly getting crippled and put to near death by the enemy.

It doesn't help at a certain point when you have all of them chasing you down and you're crawling along because both of your legs are stumps.

It's not so bad in non-hardcore mode though, so if that's how you're playing you'll probably have an alright time of it.

Edit: Oh and the hologram section. Hope you have a decent Sneak skill.

I just read a few other posts about Dead Money on the somethingawful forums, and whilst there is love and hate for it there (mostly hate), it made me realise the biggest issue I had with it: It's tedious, and it drags, and it makes you wish you were just back in the Mojave having a good time.
Last edited by Law; Feb 24, 2013 @ 11:05am
Boss Feb 24, 2013 @ 10:45am 
Mauno pretty much nailed it. Dead Money is my favorite Fallout DLC. The characters, setting and storyline are brilliant. When I finished the DLC it still occupied my thoughts for some days. Sadly it's underrated and some people don't like it because it requires you to adapt your playstyle. Dead Money is more survival horror than action-RPG, you can't rush and blindly follow the quest marker.
LuckyHare87 Feb 24, 2013 @ 11:09am 
So far everyones words are making me feel better about going into this. Maybe all my friends are just not able to adapt, I'm pretty good with sneaking around and I love making sneak attack critical hits. Maybe this DLC won't be so bad after all.
Mauno Feb 24, 2013 @ 11:18am 
Just keep your eyes open for traps and speakers and you'll be just fine. High sneak skill is really damn helpful in Dead Money.
Last edited by Mauno; Feb 24, 2013 @ 11:18am
LuckyHare87 Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:20pm 
*crosses fingers*
Here goes nothing...
Originally posted by Bas:
...Dead Money is more survival horror than action-RPG, you can't rush and blindly follow the quest marker.

Survival horror with plstols and decent combat skills. :p
Poptart_Cat "Yogi" Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:38pm 
dead mouny is one of the better fallout dlc it is more fallout than say mother ship zetta or point lookout i think oh and more fallout than honest hearts
Poptart_Cat "Yogi" Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:38pm 
honest hearts is still fun tho
Law Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:47pm 
Honest Hearts is Fallout as hell and really drives the "War Never Changes" point depending on the choices you make.
Mauno Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:48pm 
Disappointingly short main storyline, but the Survivalist's story really makes the DLC shine.

Randall's story is so well-written and has all the important themes of Fallout.
Last edited by Mauno; Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:49pm
kittehoverlord Feb 24, 2013 @ 5:31pm 
Honest Hearts is like being stuck in Arroyo. No tech, no robots, and lotsa broken english. The best part is when you fight She. Of course, the second time I fought her, I had travelled to the area prior to the quest and layed out about 12 frag and pulse mines. It was over before it started.

Dead Money on Hardcore is pretty fun. I just finished it like that for the first time. I walked out of the Sierra Madre with nothing but my underwear and 300wg of Gold bars. :3 I did forget about the weight added when I returned to the Mojave. That was a long slow walk back to Novac.
Originally posted by kittehoverlord:
Honest Hearts is like being stuck in Arroyo. No tech, no robots, and lotsa broken english. The best part is when you fight She. Of course, the second time I fought her, I had travelled to the area prior to the quest and layed out about 12 frag and pulse mines. It was over before it started.

Dead Money on Hardcore is pretty fun. I just finished it like that for the first time. I walked out of the Sierra Madre with nothing but my underwear and 300wg of Gold bars. :3 I did forget about the weight added when I returned to the Mojave. That was a long slow walk back to Novac.

That's what Long Haul is for.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 48 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Feb 24, 2013 @ 7:31am
Posts: 48