Fallout: New Vegas

Fallout: New Vegas

View Stats:
Archer Dec 1, 2014 @ 12:59pm
Steam Error - Application load error 5:0000065434
I'm getting this error "Application load error 5:0000065434" when trying to launch the game through Nexus Mod Manager, but as I can see the problem isn't with NMM itself, but steam. I can launch the game fine through my Library, but if I go to my game folder at "D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas" and try running "FalloutNV.exe" I get that error as well, as if it was a pirated copy or something (that's why many people suggetion on other forums was to get a crack, since we can't launch the game through it's own .exe file, but only steam library). And there comes a problem, because in order for me to use Nexus Mod Manager I NEED to launch FalloutNV through it's .exe file. I been for hours reading threads on other websites of how to fix this and so far I couldn't find a solution. By my understandment this is a Steam glitch as a form of anti-piracy, since it looks to be the same error that torrent downloaders get when trying to launch the game without a Cracked .exe.
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Archer Dec 1, 2014 @ 1:28pm 
Ok, I might have find an awkward solution given by another player at this thread (http://steamcommunity.com/app/22380/discussions/0/846945411150802224/?l=english), since I can't take the game to steam folder so it can launch, why not to bring steam .exe to the game folder? Well, so far the game launched, I still can't find a rational reason for, but I haven't got the error again.
So, just copy the steam.exe file to your game folder (where FalloutNV.exe is located) and it might work.
I haven't test it yet in game though.
Last edited by Archer; Dec 1, 2014 @ 1:29pm
baddude1337 Dec 1, 2014 @ 1:30pm 
Try manually deleting the .exe file and revalidating your files on Steam. It will re-download the .exe file then.
Archer Dec 1, 2014 @ 6:28pm 
Originally posted by baddude1337:
Try manually deleting the .exe file and revalidating your files on Steam. It will re-download the .exe file then.
The problem wasn't with the .exe file, but with steam not finding it or the game not finding steam.
ToooMuchDog Dec 23, 2014 @ 8:03pm 
Please tell me how you fixed this, i'm desperate.
Archer Dec 27, 2014 @ 6:20am 
Originally posted by Annihilationator The Joe:
Please tell me how you fixed this, i'm desperate.
It's in my second post there: "[...]copy the steam.exe file to your game folder (where FalloutNV.exe is located) and it might work.". Hope it works for you, mate!
Btw: If it works but suddently after a few days stop working, like if Steam updates or something, I think you have to copy the Steam.exe file from your steam folder to the fallout folder again, overwriting the old one. It worked when mine start giving the error again.
Last edited by Archer; Dec 27, 2014 @ 6:23am
Bilbo Faggins Aug 1, 2015 @ 10:44am 
thanks so much this is pretty simple instead of all other kinds of crap everyone else posts... now i can finaly play with all the nmm mods i like!
Archer Aug 7, 2015 @ 6:41pm 
Originally posted by =/Chaos\=:
thanks so much this is pretty simple instead of all other kinds of crap everyone else posts... now i can finaly play with all the nmm mods i like!
Aye, haha. Glad it worked for you as well :D
Imagesbyalex Dec 21, 2016 @ 10:19pm 
Originally posted by 21MID PFC. A. Hawkings:
Originally posted by Annihilationator The Joe:
Please tell me how you fixed this, i'm desperate.
It's in my second post there: "[...]copy the steam.exe file to your game folder (where FalloutNV.exe is located) and it might work.". Hope it works for you, mate!
Btw: If it works but suddently after a few days stop working, like if Steam updates or something, I think you have to copy the Steam.exe file from your steam folder to the fallout folder again, overwriting the old one. It worked when mine start giving the error again.

Worked for me as well. Thanks!
Maniac Mac Jan 15, 2017 @ 5:34pm 
Hey guys, know I'm late to the party here. But when pull off said task, it says I am "missing executable". When I have the .exe for both steam and New Vegas in the file....
Archer Jan 28, 2017 @ 3:48pm 
Originally posted by Maniac Mac:
Hey guys, know I'm late to the party here. But when pull off said task, it says I am "missing executable". When I have the .exe for both steam and New Vegas in the file....
Sorry, what?
DrWUBWUB Apr 30, 2017 @ 6:50pm 
I have tried literally every single option and NOTHING works at all, FFS who can i speak to about getting steam to fix this f**king bug
Maniac Mac Apr 30, 2017 @ 7:46pm 
Originally posted by DrWUBWUB:
I have tried literally every single option and NOTHING works at all, FFS who can i speak to about getting steam to fix this f**king bug
I did a complete wipe of everything F:NV. Game, files, everything. Then did a fresh install of everything vanilla. From there you can add mods one by one to find out exactly where the problem came into effect.
Mistreszuul May 24, 2017 @ 4:13am 
A poster named G. gave a work around if your game is installed on a diff drive then steam its self, I just got FONV and like Skyrim I was guna mod the hell out of it yet it would give the error like most steam games if you just run the exe its self.

His idea was to make a symbolic link useing the mklink command threw the command prompt in admin mode, there was some small details that were missed that I stumbled threw and fiured out.
First change your main steam folder from read only and make sure there is no fallout new vegas folder, which there shouldnt b if you installed the game to a diff drive like i did.
Next run the cmd.exe as an admin. It in your windows\system32 folder. Personaly i have a shortcut to it on my desktop set to run as admin for other needs.
Next the commands the first line is where your steam is installed and the 2nd is where your game is installed. So for me steam is on my D drive and fallout is on my G drive so the command looks like this

mklink /d "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas" "G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas"
all one line, what this dose in short makes a fake folder in the D folder for fallout, this folder is differant in that far as the programs care its in D so you will want NMM to rescan for games and it should find it in the D drive folder for steam.

This is how i fixed my steam error 5 window
Fuhrer Finn Jul 13, 2018 @ 10:16am 
For some reason steam.exe sometimes turns into an .old file, all i did was turn it back into a .exe and copy pasted it into my fallout nv folder and solved the issue
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Dec 1, 2014 @ 12:59pm
Posts: 14