Steam for Linux

Steam for Linux

Team Fortress 2 - Invalid CD Key
Hey, I'm not sure what is wrong but I just installed Steam on my PC (ubuntu 12.04) and it fires up just fine but when I tried to start a tutorial game, it kicked me out complaining about the authenticity of my CD key. I bought TF2 many moons ago and it works fine on Windows. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Guy Inkognito Feb 12, 2013 @ 8:26am 
Go to "Steam > Settings > Account" and check if you are participating for "Steam Beta Update". If not, enable it, restart Steam and try playing your game again.
gutigen Feb 12, 2013 @ 9:18am 
And do not install Team Fortress 2 Beta which you can see in your library, use normal version, just do what Guy above has said :)
Kakurady Feb 15, 2013 @ 1:59pm 
Originally posted by Guy Inkognito:
Go to "Steam > Settings > Account" and check if you are participating for "Steam Beta Update".
I also had the problem where it says "CD Key authentication invalid for internet servers" when I tried to start a local practice game in Team Fortress 2.

Opting into "Steam Beta Update" seems to fix it. Thanks!
Three Eighty-Six Mar 14, 2013 @ 6:19am 
Believe it or not, the day I tried to play again and it worked fine.
Gordon Freeman Apr 23, 2014 @ 12:35am 
Thanks man it worked
noname Apr 23, 2014 @ 6:43am 
Originally posted by Three Eighty Six:
... I bought TF2 many moons ago! ....
What do you mean? TF2 is free to play.
Three Eighty-Six Apr 23, 2014 @ 10:18am 
Originally posted by Naharis H'ghar:
Originally posted by Three Eighty Six:
... I bought TF2 many moons ago! ....
What do you mean? TF2 is free to play.
It wasn't originally a free to play game.
noname Apr 23, 2014 @ 10:52am 
I see.
NitroSandwich Aug 22, 2014 @ 2:42am 
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm signed into Steam, going for the "Steam Beta Update", my internet connection is fine, but TF2 still won't let me join a game because my "CD Key is invalid".

Can someone help? I waited three hours for all of the updates to download and I want to get into the game.
reeve Sep 13, 2014 @ 5:10pm 
it wont work for me still.. i will give you a game if you help me and its works, i reallt want to play the game!
Three Eighty-Six Sep 14, 2014 @ 8:30am 
Apparently this is an issue on Valve's side of things.
TheEremla Sep 22, 2015 @ 9:18am 
Tnx man, this worked!!
Duckology | TFA Aug 13, 2016 @ 5:24pm 
Originally posted by Guy Inkognito:
Go to "Steam > Settings > Account" and check if you are participating for "Steam Beta Update". If not, enable it, restart Steam and try playing your game again.

You just saved my life.
77 Aug 14, 2016 @ 11:18pm 
.。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
Originally posted by Down with the Syndrome:
Hey, I'm not sure what is wrong but I just installed Steam on my PC (ubuntu 12.04) and it fires up just fine but when I tried to start a tutorial game, it kicked me out complaining about the authenticity of my CD key. I bought TF2 many moons ago and it works fine on Windows. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Feb 12, 2013 @ 7:56am
Posts: 18