Half-Life 2

Half-Life 2

View Stats:
Half-Life 2 > General Discussions > Topic Details
Jillas Aug 5, 2016 @ 7:12pm
Collection of patches for HL2 games and Portal
(Remove the space):
https://mega .nz/#F!pFExXQ5b!kgMyS_fSaimwa5QGcNmWsg

[Last updated 2019 November 17th]

These are the patches I've been working on the past couple years. They fix many problems left in the newer versions of the games. There's patches for HL2 and the Episodes, Lost Coast, HL2 Deathmatch, and Portal.

It requires a modified gameinfo.txt file for each game, so it's possible Steam will replace it and the mod will be disabled. In that case, you must replace the file for it to work again.

This mod DOES NOT and WILL NOT support Half-Life 2: Update.

Changes:

All games:
Fixed foliage surfaceprop showing wood decals
Fixed HDR overrides and DX8 fallbacks
Added original higher quality textures/effects
Fixed mismatched textures of HDR versions of sky_day03_06 and sky_day03_06b
Fixed transparent textures displaying oddly on newer video cards
Fixed NPCs not blinking
Re-enabled Combine pain sounds
Added underwater screen overlays
Fixed dropship turrets not firing

HL2:
Fixed incorrect achievement trigger in d1_eli_02
Fixed jittery animation on Lamarr in d1_trainstation_05
Fixed APC in d2_coast_04 causing game over if pushed into water
Fixed APC flipping over in d2_coast_04
Readjusted citadel ambient sound in d1_canals_01
Fixed APC sometimes not moving in d1_canals_01a
Allowed manhacks to destroy duct borders in d1_canals_03
Fixed skybox turning black in d1_trainstation_05 and d3_breen_01
Fixed APCs clipping into clip in d1_trainstation_02
Recreated original Citadel clouds
Updated coast water
Restored missing envmaps on displacements
Removed vortigaunt suit charge limit

HL2 DM:
Fixed MOTD UI transparency
Added detail textures

EP1:
Fixed Alyx saying "Here we go- We did it, Gordon." twice
Fixed vortex effect
Fixed missing chapter title in ep1_c17_05

EP2:
Fixed advisor barn scene not playing sounds correctly
Fixed screen flashing white when taking damage
Fixed dark mountains in skybox

Portal:
Fixed some dialogue in escape_00 not being audible
Locked FOV for ending cutscene in escape_02
Fixed visible error texture on portal gun viewmodel


To install:
Copy the directories within the archive to [Steam dir]/Steamapps/Common
Replace and merge any files and directories

It is expected that you have HL2, Lost Coast, and both episodes (and Portal and HL2DM, if you want) already installed. If you install any of them later, you MUST reinstall the patch.
Last edited by Jillas; Nov 17, 2019 @ 8:45pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 126 comments
Jorel Nov 10, 2016 @ 5:11am 
I was looking for some of these fixes for a time, and i'm thankful because someone actually made them, but my HL2 crashes while loading after I moved these files into the folder.
Last edited by Jorel; Nov 10, 2016 @ 5:12am
Jillas Nov 10, 2016 @ 1:40pm 
Originally posted by giulliano_lonardoni:
I was looking for some of these fixes for a time, and i'm thankful because someone actually made them, but my HL2 crashes while loading after I moved these files into the folder.
Do you have any other mods installed?

You could try enabling beta updates if you haven't already (in the Steam game properties window, under the ‘betas’ tab), though you'll need to replace the files again. Otherwise, you can try to see if it will work without the ‘bin_custom’ directory.
Jorel Nov 10, 2016 @ 5:18pm 
I did enable the beta updates and it worked, thanks. But the point is that our limited human vocabulary can't express how grateful I am. You rescued simple details that added value to the game atmosphere, like the NPCs blinking, and were lost until now.
Last edited by Jorel; Nov 10, 2016 @ 5:19pm
bruh Nov 11, 2016 @ 8:21am 
"Mods will fix it" club
Now featuring Valve
Jorel Nov 11, 2016 @ 9:52am 
Originally posted by part_of_whole:
"Mods will fix it" club
Now featuring Valve
Yes, my VALVe games looks like something that was fixed with duct tape time over time. I'm just looking for something that fixes a shader glitch in Portal 2 right now.
Last edited by Jorel; Nov 11, 2016 @ 9:57am
HammerFall Nov 11, 2016 @ 11:26am 
If steam does replace those files you should stop them by setting file as Read Only
Rykah Nov 11, 2016 @ 4:21pm 
Can you release the code changes you've made that has required you to compile new client and server files? I assume that sort of thing includes the NPC blinking fix, and that'd be very nice to implement into a mod.
Jillas Nov 11, 2016 @ 9:04pm 
Originally posted by Rara:
Can you release the code changes you've made that has required you to compile new client and server files? I assume that sort of thing includes the NPC blinking fix, and that'd be very nice to implement into a mod.
https://mega .nz/#F!QRUTnQpQ!teI4UgfrF07MI6K0W2vpzw
Last edited by Jillas; Aug 9, 2017 @ 5:28pm
Zaxx Dec 11, 2016 @ 8:56pm 
Wow, G-Man blinks in the intro again! Thanks for this. :D
Last edited by Zaxx; Dec 11, 2016 @ 8:56pm
Kermit the Forg Feb 25, 2017 @ 7:50am 
Is there any way to make it not crash without enabling the beta? I don't like the beta tag that it gives the game when I look at in my library.
Jillas Feb 25, 2017 @ 9:08am 
Originally posted by aNGER:
Is there any way to make it not crash without enabling the beta? I don't like the beta tag that it gives the game when I look at in my library.
Try removing or disabling ‘bin_custom’? That will remove some bug fixes but it might work without beta updates. If you're redownloading anything of the game after install the patch, Steam might be replacing the gameinfo.txt file, which will disable the mod until you replace it.
Jillas Jun 13, 2017 @ 8:13pm 
Steam hid the link, it should be visible now.
5eyes Aug 19, 2017 @ 10:44am 
I used this and it fixed the blinking but it also kind of broke triggers at the part where Alyx hurdles the stairs and beyond it shows a big yellow block with the word "trigger" written all over it. I used it on Half Life 2: Update though, so I don't know if that is the reason.
Jorel Aug 19, 2017 @ 10:54am 
Originally posted by Skekenon:
I used this and it fixed the blinking but it also kind of broke triggers at the part where Alyx hurdles the stairs and beyond it shows a big yellow block with the word "trigger" written all over it. I used it on Half Life 2: Update though, so I don't know if that is the reason.

It happened to me too in HL2:Update, but It stopped after I copied ONLY the client.dll and server.dll files into the "Half-Life 2 Update\hl2\bin" folder. I did a full HL2:Update playthrough after, and I found no further issues.
Last edited by Jorel; Aug 19, 2017 @ 10:56am
5eyes Aug 19, 2017 @ 11:01am 
Originally posted by Giant Hogweed:
It happened to me too in HL2:Update, but It stopped after I copied ONLY the client.dll and server.dll files into the "Half-Life 2 Update\hl2\bin" folder. I did a full HL2:Update playthrough after, and I found no further issues.
That worked! Thank you so much :D
< >
Showing 1-15 of 126 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Half-Life 2 > General Discussions > Topic Details