Grim Dawn

Grim Dawn

View Stats:
How do you fix the screen tearing with an AMD video card ?
I tried for hours now nothing work.

- I changed the config file for 4 cores
- With process lasso I use the threads 0 2 4 6
- This is my in game settings : https://imgur.com/a/Ql0b7h6
- I have right click the Grim Dawn.exe (and GrimInternals64.exe) and disabled the fullscreen optimization
- I tried with the amd enhanced sync on/off and vsync always on on/off
- I tried closing riva tuner statistic server but I usually have no problem at all using this in any games (I think I have not tried closing it while trying the vsync in amd but I changed my usual 45 max fps to 60 to equal my monitor [but I don't have 60 fps with these graphics maxed, maybe I should medium them all and stay at 60 FPS ? i don't need to do this in other games)
- I tried the game as fullscreen instead of borderless.
- I made a BitDefender exception for my saves (in documents) and in grim dawn/steam folder
- I disabled the cloud save in game and on steam but it crashed about 30 min ago and when I came to launch it steam told me the cloud sync failed, I launched the game anyway. I just verified for a third time, the cloud is disabled, I have no idea why I received this warning.
- I have the same problem with grim dawn, grim dawn x64, and legacy dx9.

I dont know what to do. That's super annoying. I started a new char but I don't feel I will play much this way. The horizontal wave coming from the top to the bottom of the monitor every about 15 sec make me rage too much...

i7-2600
Radeon RX 560
20gb DDR 1333
win10 64x

The amd settings I'm using right now with max settings in game...
1. https://imgur.com/a/bGmgeWT
2. https://imgur.com/a/E4erJ5m

I played many hours 2 years ago without problems. I'm pretty sure if I had these graphic waves 2 years ago I would still remember them.
Last edited by DestrockQc; Apr 18 @ 2:03am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
powbam Apr 17 @ 9:28am 
I currently am using an amd card, rx 580 and it's fine. I'm guessing you must have an older system if you normally play at 45 fps max. Screen-tearing is more commonly a symptom of NOT using Vsync, turning it on should have resolved it so not sure what that's about.

One workaround you can do that should (or might) resolve this is to change from Full-screen mode to Windowed Borderless.

If that doesn't help then you should probably post your full system specs so people have a better understanding of your system. I would suggest opening Task Manager and closing out any unnecessary background processes.
Last edited by powbam; Apr 17 @ 9:35am
DestrockQc Apr 17 @ 10:19am 
I tried to go fullscreen too if forgot to mention. And I max 45 in every games cause I see no point of going higher, it cost more electricity and use the video card and the fans for nothing. I don't go as low as only 30 fps cause I feel it but 45 everything is fine usually.

i7-2600
Radeon RX 560
20gb DDR 1333
win10 64x
powbam Apr 17 @ 11:30am 
Originally posted by DestrockQc:
I tried to go fullscreen too if forgot to mention.

So you're saying you had it on Borderless prior and it was still tearing?
DestrockQc Apr 18 @ 12:59am 
I edited my first post, it will be easier to read now.

borderless or fullscreen give the same results.
Check this, I recorded myself. I usually play on max settings, around 40-45 fps. I tried maxing to 60 fps but even with everything at low my GPU is unable to achieve it.

We some time see the problem I have on the big tree. These kind of weird horizontal glitch, I call them "wave" They make the game ugly and they annoy me. (we see one at 1:00 in the video)

Also, you see how the video is super chunky/clunky/laggy or wathewer how you say it in english ? I recorded myself many times in many games with OBS Studio and my videos are always perfectly fluid but in grim dawn look how bad it is wow ! I don't play like this don't worry, I don't know why it does this while recording but while playing the only problem I have are these waves.

https://open.lbry.com/@Destrock2:a/2:76
Often Apr 18 @ 11:00am 
Animation in that didn't look smooth, but that's not screen tearing.

You may be CPU limited, since your processor is like 11 years old at this point.
I was not sure if the term to use was screen tearing but after watching a video explaining it on youtube I was pretty sure it was it. How is it called then ? I'll go check more details if I know better what to search.

And no, I'm not CPU limited. I can play every games with this thing lol and I played it finely 2 years ago.
Last edited by DestrockQc; Apr 18 @ 1:31pm
I think I found and fixed the problem (but I made myself 2 more problems [nothing to do with GD]).

I was experiencing these waves everywhere it seem. This morning I was watching images and saw them. I was wondering if my monitor was good to throw in the garbage. But seriously, for 1 or 2 months everything was truely fine, I don't know if yet another windows update ♥♥♥♥♥♥ something somewhere... SIgh

When you do WINDOWS + P you can switch monitor. I have my pc monitor on my graphic card DVI, my old 4:3 monitor on my CPU VGA and my tv HDMI on my video card. Win10 changed my monitor from number 1 to number 2 so I will no longer be able to extend my old monitor (I use it to see the chat when I stream on twitch). I have to manually go extend it in the display settings every time. Also, I have a lot of difficulties to keep the signal on HDMI to my tv, everytime I watch something from my pc to my tv, I have to unplug my HDMI cable from my video card, if I don't the signal flash no stop (I even bought a brand new 8k hdmi cable to make sure the signal would be big enough). After many years with this problem, 1 or 2 months ago I finally found the solution. In the AMD settings, display, We can use the "amd eyefinity" which clone the hdmi and the pc 1:1, it put both two on the same and unique signal. They both are 1080 and 60 hz so I was fine, for 1-2 months.

But now I have to disable it back ssiiggghhhhhhhh........... I hate windows, my next format is a linux.

I made this video with GD using my 4 cores and 8 threads and of course with the eyefinity disabled. https://open.lbry.com/@Destrock2:a/999:85
Last edited by DestrockQc; Apr 19 @ 5:36am
Originally posted by DestrockQc:
And I max 45 in every games cause I see no point of going higher, it cost more electricity and use the video card and the fans for nothing.

Huh? Do you live on the ISS?
Last edited by KriKitBoNeZ; Apr 19 @ 5:54am
What is ISS ?
Originally posted by DestrockQc:
What is ISS ?

I'm not your Alexa, figure it out.
What you will have to figure out is why I no more see your replies.
Originally posted by DestrockQc:
What you will have to figure out is why I no more see your replies.


Have fun being wilfully ignorant. Toodles.
Often Apr 20 @ 4:34pm 
Originally posted by DestrockQc:
I think I found and fixed the problem (but I made myself 2 more problems [nothing to do with GD]).

I was experiencing these waves everywhere it seem. This morning I was watching images and saw them. I was wondering if my monitor was good to throw in the garbage. But seriously, for 1 or 2 months everything was truely fine, I don't know if yet another windows update ♥♥♥♥♥♥ something somewhere... SIgh

When you do WINDOWS + P you can switch monitor. I have my pc monitor on my graphic card DVI, my old 4:3 monitor on my CPU VGA and my tv HDMI on my video card. Win10 changed my monitor from number 1 to number 2 so I will no longer be able to extend my old monitor (I use it to see the chat when I stream on twitch). I have to manually go extend it in the display settings every time. Also, I have a lot of difficulties to keep the signal on HDMI to my tv, everytime I watch something from my pc to my tv, I have to unplug my HDMI cable from my video card, if I don't the signal flash no stop (I even bought a brand new 8k hdmi cable to make sure the signal would be big enough). After many years with this problem, 1 or 2 months ago I finally found the solution. In the AMD settings, display, We can use the "amd eyefinity" which clone the hdmi and the pc 1:1, it put both two on the same and unique signal. They both are 1080 and 60 hz so I was fine, for 1-2 months.

But now I have to disable it back ssiiggghhhhhhhh........... I hate windows, my next format is a linux.

I made this video with GD using my 4 cores and 8 threads and of course with the eyefinity disabled. https://open.lbry.com/@Destrock2:a/999:85

I'm still not seeing any example of screen tearing in the video you posted. So if you're getting it on monitor side, it's probably hardware related. Tearing is related to screen refresh not being synced properly to frame rate. It's why v-sync often fixes it because v-sync will force the game's framerate to run at your monitor's refresh rate.

If you're running at 45fps, your monitor's natural refresh rate (which is probably 60hz, or 59.9), is likely causing issues. Extending to a second desktop will cause issues with framerate slowing down (you may have been dipping to a lower framerate).

I run the game on a 144hz monitor with freesync, and experience no issues. I also have a much more recent CPU than you and run the game at anywhere between 130 and 140 fps. You could try running the 64bit client to see if you get any more frames out of it, but without running the game at 60frames, you're most likely going to get some tearing at the monitor level, because I didn't see anything in the video to indicate a problem other than some jank in the graphics to show that you're probably running less than 60 fps.
Last edited by Often; Apr 20 @ 4:34pm
Which video are you talking ? The first one or the second ? Good luck to see something on the second cause it was my proof of problem fixed lol. But you are right about the first video there is nothing to see, I just checked it now that my problem is fixed and I see nothing lol 🤔 That's wierd I was seeing it while watching the video which mean my problem was repeatable at the exact same place.

But I already wrote my problem was fixed and I didn't had to run my games over 45 fps...

I unsubscribed this thread cause I'm done with it and I boycott steam now, I don't want to waste more time here.
Last edited by DestrockQc; Apr 20 @ 5:48pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 17 @ 8:36am
Posts: 16