Baldur's Gate 3

Baldur's Gate 3

frost Jul 19, 2019 @ 10:15am
I Don't Want a Baldur's Gate 3
Let me preface this by saying that I've always been a massive fan of the BG games, even bought an original boxed copy of BG2 on a trip to Germany (despite the rampant pirating going on), and remember playing it so many times over it wasn't funny. Well nigh every nook and cranny, line of dialogue, and location has been permanently burned into my heart. These games are deservedly praised as one of the best ever made.

Despite my love for the series, the prospect of a BG3 doesn't dazzle me in the slightest. Instead, there's anger and frustration, and one burning question: Why?

Why would you dare attempt a revival of BG when the saga has a definitive conclusion? I mean other than using the name as a siren song aimed at the fans of yore.

Why would you, the developer - knowing full well by looking at your body of work - think that you can hold a candle to what then-Bioware has achieved? How do you expect to live up to the improvements made by BG2 over BG1, and go from there?

Do you yourselves really believe that you have what it takes to make a classic? Because looking at your previous games (which are all right, by the way), well... let's just say it doesn't look too promising. At all. It's like the Foo Fighters attempting a King Crimson record.

It's too bad that some people don't have the respect for these games that they rightfully deserve and decide to ♥♥♥♥ with them on principle I suppose, or in order to rake in the nostalgia cash.

Let me leave you with a piece of advice - don't wear others' work as a cloak, and instead admire it from a distance, realising that that is something you can aspire to, but will never be able to re-create.
Last edited by frost; Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:03am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 270 comments
Beardpick Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:07am 
You know that a BG3 was in production until 2003 before it was axed, and would have had no direct connection to the previous 2 games, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

A DnD game based in and around Baldur's Gate (which doesn't even appear in BG2) is a return to the series more than a "continuation", and this nostalgia-laden concept that BG1 and BG2 were some kind of 'near-perfect' games that reached unattainable levels of design is just silly.

Infinity engine games are nice for what they are, but let's not pretend that the represent the pinnacle of RPG game development.
Last edited by Beardpick; Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:07am
frost Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:12am 
Originally posted by Beardpick:
You know that a BG3 was in production until 2003 before it was axed, and would have had no direct connection to the previous 2 games, right?

That's probably why it got axed.

Originally posted by Beardpick:
Infinity engine games are nice for what they are, but let's not pretend that the represent the pinnacle of RPG game development.

The engine has little to do with what made the games great. If you can't tell the difference, then I understand why you'd feel offended.

Also, people losing their ♥♥♥♥ over a sequel to a 20+ year old game is by itself a testament to their impact and lasting brilliance.
Last edited by frost; Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:16am
Beardpick Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:19am 
Originally posted by frost:

That's probably why it got axed.

The engine has little to do with what made the games great. If you can't tell the difference, then I understand why you'd feel offended.

Also, people losing their ♥♥♥♥ over a BG3 after 20+ years, is by itself a testament to their brilliance.

It got axed because Interplay was really bad at managing their business, and laid off the entire staff at Black Isle.

The only person who seems to be losing their ♥♥♥♥, is the guy starting a thread in the BG3 forums, saying that he doesn't want one because nothing will ever compare to BG1&2 in his heart.
Tesla Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:26am 


Originally posted by frost:
Originally posted by Beardpick:
You know that a BG3 was in production until 2003 before it was axed, and would have had no direct connection to the previous 2 games, right?

That's probably why it got axed.

Originally posted by Beardpick:
Infinity engine games are nice for what they are, but let's not pretend that the represent the pinnacle of RPG game development.

The engine has little to do with what made the games great. If you can't tell the difference, then I understand why you'd feel offended.

Also, people losing their ♥♥♥♥ over a sequel to a 20+ year old game is by itself a testament to their impact and lasting brilliance.


Im sorry to tell you but any time a niche but recognizable game makes a comeback people from all walks come to praise and lose their ♥♥♥♥ even if they never player or barely player the past games. Skyrim, Fallout 4, Monsterhunter worlds, Diablo 3. All of these games were bigger and had more hype than any of the other games in the series even had fans. BG3 is no exception. I doubt even a significant amount of the people who played the orginals remember much about them unless they played the Enhanced editions or played them recently.
frost Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:32am 
Originally posted by Beardpick:
It got axed because Interplay was really bad at managing their business, and laid off the entire staff at Black Isle.

Thanks for the history lesson, even though your quick Wikipedia search unfortunately didn't reveal to you that Sawyer's team (who went on to produce Icewind Dale) isn't responsible for the previous games, so attempting at stonewalling me with "facts" just backfired on you. Even though something tells me Sawyer would've done a better job than this studio could ever hope to achieve.

Originally posted by Beardpick:
The only person who seems to be losing their ♥♥♥♥, is the guy starting a thread in the BG3 forums, saying that he doesn't want one because nothing will ever compare to BG1&2 in his heart.

If I was losing my ♥♥♥♥, I assure you I wouldn't be typing on a keyboard. I call it out for what it is - a trip through nostalgia lane for a quick buck. But by all means, go ahead and enjoy the final product. I'm sure you'll like it. Not everyone has their standards set comparatively.
Last edited by frost; Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:46am
jmvbento Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:38am 
I Don't Want a Baldur's Gate 3

Fortunately, you don't have to buy it and they won't force it on your library, so I guess you got your heart's desire. Congratulations. You go, you.
frost Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:39am 
Originally posted by jmvbento:
I Don't Want a Baldur's Gate 3

Fortunately, you don't have to buy it and they won't force it on your library, so I guess you got your heart's desire. Congratulations. You go, you.
You'll still allow me the privilege of making a statement about my feelings towards it though, right?

Originally posted by Tesla:
Im sorry to tell you but any time a niche but recognizable game makes a comeback people from all walks come to praise and lose their ♥♥♥♥ even if they never player or barely player the past games. Skyrim, Fallout 4, Monsterhunter worlds, Diablo 3. All of these games were bigger and had more hype than any of the other games in the series even had fans. BG3 is no exception. I doubt even a significant amount of the people who played the orginals remember much about them unless they played the Enhanced editions or played them recently.

The point is that it's recognisable because it's exceptionally good. Does anyone ask for a sequel to Marathon 2: Durandal? No, because it was ♥♥♥♥♥.

And comparing gaming from the 90s to modern gaming is pointless - gaming was niche *as a whole*.
Last edited by frost; Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:45am
Night Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:39am 
and how exactly do you know you won't like it?
Also larian is one of the best studios for RPG's ever. They are very much so comparible to old bioware right now and they even do some things better (such as gameplay freedom and puzzles).

If you don't think larian deserves to make the game then you're basically saying 'that's it, no one will ever compare to old bioware, not ever ever ever, nope never'.


In that case there's nothing anyone can do to please you except just quit making all RPG's because Frost says they have no chance.
ExplosiveBolts Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:40am 
It's a good thing Larian doesn't care about what you want.
jmvbento Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:41am 
Originally posted by frost:
Originally posted by jmvbento:

Fortunately, you don't have to buy it and they won't force it on your library, so I guess you got your heart's desire. Congratulations. You go, you.
You'll still give me the privilege of making a statement about my feelings towards it though, right?
Sure, as long as you give me the privilege of making a statement about your statement about your feelings.
frost Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:43am 
Originally posted by Tesla:
Sure, as long as you give me the privilege of making a statement about your statement about your feelings.

Go ahead, try to make me care that you don't care that I care.

Originally posted by Night:
and how exactly do you know you won't like it?
Also larian is one of the best studios for RPG's ever. They are very much so comparible to old bioware right now and they even do some things better (such as gameplay freedom and puzzles).

I'm sorry my dude, but I've played their games. They lack the chops, especially in the writing department.
Last edited by frost; Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:44am
jmvbento Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:45am 
Originally posted by frost:
Originally posted by Tesla:
Sure, as long as you give me the privilege of making a statement about your statement about your feelings.

Go ahead, try to make me care that you don't care that I care.

Originally posted by Night:
and how exactly do you know you won't like it?
Also larian is one of the best studios for RPG's ever. They are very much so comparible to old bioware right now and they even do some things better (such as gameplay freedom and puzzles).

I'm sorry dude, but I played their games. They don't have the chops, especially in the writing department.

You responded twice already, so you care at least a LITTLE bit.

Also, saying that BG1 had any writing chops involved is ridiculous.
frost Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:48am 
Originally posted by jmvbento:
You responded twice already, so you care at least a LITTLE bit.

Also, saying that BG1 had any writing chops involved is ridiculous.

I try to respond to everybody, so don't get too full of yourself. And BG1's level of writing is something I have yet to see this developer actually manage to pull off.
Last edited by frost; Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:48am
Dixon Sider (Banned) Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:50am 
I want a BG3. I am jaded by the garbage we got for the last 20 years. Pathfinder Kingmaker is the start of a revolution in video gaming. My Steam library is full of so much trash, its a nice breath of fresh air to see some excellent game(s)
Last edited by Dixon Sider; Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:51am
clambchowder Jul 19, 2019 @ 11:51am 
You do sound pretty reasonable, but you could just not play it.
Maybe try playing Pillars of Eternity or something instead. I might be doing the same thing. :P
< >
Showing 1-15 of 270 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jul 19, 2019 @ 10:15am
Posts: 270