This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Blockland
DocSocrates Jan 29, 2013 @ 1:33pm
MC "Rips" and Voxel Games
(I know there is a topic on this already, but I want to also talk about Voxels)

To all of those still saying this is a MC rip, let me enlighten you.

MC Came out offically for the PC in May 17, 2009 in Alpha Version (Wikipedia)
Blockland was released as freeware (Like MC's Alpha if you will) in November 2007 (Wikipedia)

Another point I shall make is that Blockland Offcial release date for a retail price was in Feburary 2009. (Wikipedia)

Before MC was even released as a game in Alpha, Blockland creater Eric Hartman would have already been making money on Blockland.

With this, we can deduct that Blockland is in fact older than MC, and therefore can not be a rip of MC because Blockland came before MC.

Sure MC might have made more money than Blockland in the end, but size does not/should not determine wether a game is a rip merely on the fact that MC is more mainstream.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I'm talking about MC clones, let me enlighten you on another topic.

MC is part of a new genre called Voxel

Posting directly from Wikipedia on the topic of Voxel games
"A voxel represents a single sample, or data point, on a regularly spaced, three dimensional grid."

MC as we all know is a game of cubes. If you are to look on this website I'll paste below, you will find several other games that revolve around the Voxel type graphics/Gameplay.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxel)

In the end, MC may have started something big, but that doesn't mean that every single game from this point on in the Voxel genre shall be a rip from MC.

Dwarf Fortress is part of a small genre known as the Fortress Genre. There are now newer games that are being made that are part of the Fortress Genre, such as Gnomeria. This game could be argued to be a rip from Dwarf Fortress, but if you play Gnomeria, you'll find that there are many differences such as an easier interface but not so much depth as there was in DF.

In the end, gives some games a chance. MC might have been a fire starter in the Voxel genre, but instead of damning every game in the voxel genre because of it's likeness to MC, we should try to help these developers.

Who knows? Maybe one day MC will just be a 20 year old game sitting on some dad's shelf. When he shows it to his kid, will the kid say it's just a rip of Supa Mina Pro?

Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Imt767 Jan 30, 2013 @ 11:04am 
Someone has been screwing with Blockland's Wikipedia page. All those dates are way off... Blockland was released RETAIL in 2007, and was freeware (Vanilla Blockland) back in 2004. I know as I played Vanilla back in 2006, and purchased retail in 2008.
Also, news archives for the win. http://blockland.us/News-Archive.html
DocSocrates Jan 30, 2013 @ 12:59pm 
Originally posted by Imt767:
Someone has been screwing with Blockland's Wikipedia page. All those dates are way off... Blockland was released RETAIL in 2007, and was freeware (Vanilla Blockland) back in 2004. I know as I played Vanilla back in 2006, and purchased retail in 2008.
Also, news archives for the win. http://blockland.us/News-Archive.html

Further proves how BL is not a rip
dargereldren Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:35am 
Originally posted by 3eVoltDocSocates:
Blockland was released as freeware (Like MC's Alpha if you will) in November 2007 (Wikipedia)
Wrong. It was November 2004. Not 2007. Retail was released in February 2007.
Re-read the Wikipedia article.
Originally posted by Blockland on Wikipedia:
November 2004 (freeware)
February 24, 2007 (retail)

Edit: I didn't realize this was mentioned before. But still, it's wrong and should be fixed ASAP.
Last edited by dargereldren; Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:36am
Mold Feb 1, 2013 @ 1:17am 
You got the date wrong. v0002 (bl alpha) came out in the end of 2003 or early 2004 (It's too long ago)
wfchildress Feb 1, 2013 @ 4:48pm 
If this game dosen't get Greenlit and not released to the public due to these haters and trolls, I will........BDX777, your voice will not be heard. ;)
Darkhog Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:27pm 
Originally posted by The Resonte!:
Second, Gun Massacre comes up in your
opinion quite a lot, and uh... http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?action=profile;u=29034;sa=showPosts Usually people will drama people like this I suppose.
Like this http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=166054.0[/quote

//edit This and following coming from me, as whatever I do, steam forums show this text as part of quote. Gah.
Also, his "idea": http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=114177.0. No wonder he got flamed, if I would post such ideas, I would be flamed too. Also in case you wonder, no I wouldn't. I give useful feedback and don't whine when it get denied (at least not publicly ;)).
Last edited by Darkhog; Feb 2, 2013 @ 6:29am
Evans ma name Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:39pm 
When someone finds a game with a good community call me up on that, but serriously this game is amazing, Ive been playing it for a few years, and im still not bored. I dont believe theirs a game without pedos and ♥♥♥♥♥s on it, you know what the BAN button in servers is for?. Besides, this game is better than roblox, and dare I say it, better than minecraft, yes better than minecraft, dont hate on me for my opinion, Minecrafts worse in my opinion, basically without the proper rules in place newbs and trolls can just destroy everything youve worked for, besides, Ive always loved sandbox building games, I only second this game to garrys mod, its a lot more social though, plus its a bit more straightforward, Just accept my facts, that ♥♥♥♥♥s exist, they do, it sucks, but just get over it because this game needs to be green lit.
Evans ma name Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:49pm 
ANd by the way, I agree the forums are ♥♥♥♥, that community is ♥♥♥♥. JUST IGNORE THEM. Like I said Ive been playing this game a few years, and guess what, Never touched the forums, not once, Dont need it, never needed it, with the release of RTB the forums are just a trolling ground, no one really cares though...Just play the game, I find the community on their is quite nice, the only ♥♥♥♥♥s are the newbs...and whatever the fuq, its a newb, for all you blocklanders, We were all newbs. Ive met so many people with a military rank in their name, or master chief or 117, Its annoying as ♥♥♥♥, it is, but we learn, my name...It was Gen. Evan...then I realized what a garbage name that was, and no comments on my current name, cause its original as they come....So just think about that before replying to my first post,,,
DocSocrates Feb 1, 2013 @ 7:04pm 
Guys I realize the date is off but the point is that BL came out first.
The Resonte! Feb 2, 2013 @ 5:45am 

He's right.
Bass Feb 2, 2013 @ 7:03am 
Originally posted by The Resonte!:

He's right.
As always
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50