This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Mighty No. Gaim Sep 4, 2013 @ 10:15pm
Shantae Risky's Revenge NOT 100% guaranteed
Yeah, it has been greenlit, but with WayForward creating another (HD) Shantae game (currently on the Kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero) I did some digging myself...

Quote from the comments of said Kickstarter project "@Iain Macfarlane RE: the past games, I think Risky's Revenge on Steam would be the most likely to happen down the line."

While positive this is NOT a "We're greenlit, we are doing it"... Also after asking specifically about this I got words (from my reply and friends) that they are "looking into it, once the KS ends"

Also on the Frontpage Risky's Revenge is only listed for DSiWare and Pirate's Curse is a soon to be eShop release, while they don't mention the steam version of RR at all!

So with that and the Kickstarter game won't be released until Oct 2014, fans of Shantae, who don't have a DSi/2DS/3DS might not get to play the game...

So yeah for greenlight .__.;
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Javierasecas Sep 9, 2013 @ 1:59am 
yeah, but we will have a brand new shantaee game for pc and after that risky's revenge
inkBot Sep 9, 2013 @ 3:29am 
Sucks for those of us who like to play games in order.
Bonobi Sep 9, 2013 @ 11:22pm 
Man, well this stinks. If only it could have been geenlit the same year that it was proposed here
Ninja Stu Sep 10, 2013 @ 8:15pm 
Well I'd hope that the fact it passed greenlight shows Wayforward that we want to buy this on Steam.

Actually, I'd like all of the Shantae games on here. Wayforward, put them on here and I'll buy them. Can't wait for 1/2 Genie Hero as well.
Chizu Sep 11, 2013 @ 9:40am 
I hate that greenlight was the only way this was gonna be on pc anyway, they waited to be greenlit to even think about converting Risky's Revenge?
♥♥♥♥ that. There a million other ways to sell the game on pc, and their lack of interest in doing it before hand really does not fill me with confidence in this port.
And Since I like Chronology and always play a game series in order as much as I can, I won't be buying the new one till This one is released. Sorry guys :v
Syragar Sep 14, 2013 @ 6:34pm 
Originally posted by Chizu:
I hate that greenlight was the only way this was gonna be on pc anyway, they waited to be greenlit to even think about converting Risky's Revenge?
♥♥♥♥ that. There a million other ways to sell the game on pc, and their lack of interest in doing it before hand really does not fill me with confidence in this port.
And Since I like Chronology and always play a game series in order as much as I can, I won't be buying the new one till This one is released. Sorry guys :v

I understand your frustrations... and I kinda share them as well. I love WayForward games, but the way they handled the Steam version of this one... well... it leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

If you want to play them in order... you should know that this isn't the first game. The first one was on the GBC a long time ago. The only way to buy it now is on the 3DS E-shop. And honestly, while I like Risky's Revenge, the original was a much larger game. Risky's Revenge (while a lot of fun) is a bit short. I think Nintendo's file size limitations for DSI Ware was to blame for that.

Oh... and Half-Genie Hero isn't the 3rd game either. There's a game that hasn't been released yet on the 3DS called Pirate's Curse that will be the 3rd game. Half-Genie Hero will be the 4th game in the series.

So the series is in this order:
Shantae (GBC, also on 3DS eShop)
Shantae - Risky's Revenge (DSI-Ware)
Shantae - Pirate's Curse (3DS eShop - not released yet)
Shantae - Half-Genie Hero (multi-platform - on KickStarter)
Last edited by Syragar; Sep 14, 2013 @ 6:35pm
Mighty No. Gaim Sep 16, 2013 @ 2:31am 
Good news EVERYPONY! Heard that they stated they FULLY commit to the steam release, but have to free up some programmers first. Sure it doesn't sound (much) better, but at least it's no more "looking into"-♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ...
Dancing Cactus Sep 16, 2013 @ 5:35am 
WayForward is known for taking a long time to develop each of the Shantae games.

This one will be released some time in the next year and Half-Genie Hero will be released
in 2016 (estimated from having watched WayForward releases for years).

Also Shantae - Half-Genie Hero is most likely what Pirate's Curse was going to be (I don't see WayForward going any further with that eShop title, not with SRR and SHGH on the table).
Syragar Sep 16, 2013 @ 11:35am 
Originally posted by Dancing Cactus:
Also Shantae - Half-Genie Hero is most likely what Pirate's Curse was going to be (I don't see WayForward going any further with that eShop title, not with SRR and SHGH on the table).
No. I believe this will be a totally different game. I have heard no news of them cancelling Pirate's Curse (it is still scheduled for release before the end of 2013). Also, the kickstarter page for Half-Genie Hero mentions Pirate's Curse as the "third act" in the series.

It looks like we'll be getting the 2nd and 4th game here on Steam... but we'll be missing the 1st and 3rd game.
Last edited by Syragar; Sep 16, 2013 @ 11:36am
Dancing Cactus Sep 16, 2013 @ 4:17pm 
Originally posted by Syragar:
No. I believe this will be a totally different game. I have heard no news of them cancelling Pirate's Curse (it is still scheduled for release before the end of 2013). Also, the kickstarter page for Half-Genie Hero mentions Pirate's Curse as the "third act" in the series.

It looks like we'll be getting the 2nd and 4th game here on Steam... but we'll be missing the 1st and 3rd game.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I see that now in the FAQs on their Kickstarter page.

I've never seen Wayforward with so much Shantae news on the table, so I just assumed that Pirate's Curse had been renamed/converted.

Pirate's Curse makes sense for a fairly easy release (easy compared to the usual Wayforward release), because they already have the game engine and character sprites Ret-2-Go!

I'm not too worried about not geting the 1st and 3rd games on steam. The third one will probably show up on steam in another 3 years (maybe as a greenlight as well). The first one may show up as a future kickstarter digital bonus or a steam pre-order bonus, the game is too good to just be left off of PC (heck, maybe even a digital HD remaster in the future along with all the other DSi/Wii ware titles such as Mighty Switch Force and Mighty Milky May - I have big dreams).

Also one final note. The series doesn't have an over arcing/linear story. Anybody can play any of the games in any order (even the dialog in the original game acted like most of the characters knew each other for years). Just pointing that out to anybody who might think that its vital to play these in order!
Last edited by Dancing Cactus; Sep 16, 2013 @ 4:21pm
Syragar Sep 16, 2013 @ 9:46pm 
True. There is no arcing story to the series so far. Nothing really happens at the end of the 1st game that is mentioned in Risky's Revenge (at least not that I can remember). However, there are a couple of things that happened at the end of Risky's Revenge that I believe will probably be mentioned at the beginning of Pirate's Curse... I can't see how they wouldn't be.

• Shantae being betrayed by Rottytops
  • Risky successfully robs Shantae of her genie powers... resulting in her being 100% human at the end of the game.
Last edited by Syragar; Sep 16, 2013 @ 9:57pm
Dancing Cactus Sep 18, 2013 @ 6:44pm 
Originally posted by Syragar:
True. There is no arcing story to the series so far. Nothing really happens at the end of the 1st game that is mentioned in Risky's Revenge (at least not that I can remember). However, there are a couple of things that happened at the end of Risky's Revenge that I believe will probably be mentioned at the beginning of Pirate's Curse... I can't see how they wouldn't be.

• Shantae being betrayed by Rottytops
  • Risky successfully robs Shantae of her genie powers... resulting in her being 100% human at the end of the game.

Thanks for mentioning this! I only played Risky's Revenge for a little over an hour and just assumed that the story never picked up from what I saw (very strait forward). Those seem like too Important of things not to be referenced again later.

Kind of surprised that I didn't know about those things. Of all the information that I know about shantae I never heard anybody mention this before.

Then again Shantae news is famous for alluding me. The only reason I know about this greenlight (a year late) is because it is noted in the Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter (witch I also only know about because I saw a link at the bottom of the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter Page).

Seriously, Wayforward update your official Risky's Revenge page! They don't even have links to their Facebook and Twitter accounts on the official site (time to delete that bookmark). Of course I should have known that they did, but still...

On a side note Pirate's Curse had a playable demo at the most resent PAX Prime! So it shouldn't be long now for that title (saw that on the WayForward blog - yet another place for WayForward to spread info that I don't catch).
Syragar Sep 18, 2013 @ 7:26pm 
Thanks for mentioning this! I only played Risky's Revenge for a little over an hour and just assumed that the story never picked up from what I saw (very strait forward). Those seem like too Important of things not to be referenced again later.

Yep. They actually hinted about the first item in the first game.
If you talk to the NPCs around the zombie caravan, one person says, "If you meet RottyTops, you'd better watch your back! I wouldn't trust her any deeper than I could bury her!" and another one says, "RottyTops has two ugly brothers. Good thing they're all apart right now, 'cause when they're a trio they're bad news!"

And if you want to see the actual ending... I found a couple of vids (not mine):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_K1AEzvKuQ&t=6m38s and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9xwzmo6kFQ
Last edited by Syragar; Sep 18, 2013 @ 7:29pm
Author X Sep 19, 2013 @ 3:10pm 
Just to keep this board/topic updated, this was addressed by the WayForward twitter account:

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/380782768822558720

"It's definitely coming, but there's no date set. The conversion will take a couple months once we're able to get people on it."

So it sounds like it's a minimum of a few months away, but may take longer if the people that would port it are working on Pirate's Curse or Half-Genie Hero first.
Chizu Sep 25, 2013 @ 12:39pm 
well I guess at least theyve acknowledged it.
Would it have been too much to ask for one person to spare 5 minutes to make a post here?
An announcement or something acknowledging the fact that this game got greenlit and that it will still be appearing on steam and they havent just forgotten it and moved on :v

I mean I am sure they're busy, but how long would a short announcement post take :v
uncommunicative devs kinda wind me up :v
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50