This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Black Mesa
CthulhuSaves Jan 14, 2013 @ 11:42pm
Black Mesa vs. HL: Source
So, bottom line, what's the difference? From what I've read, Black Mesa is supposed to be Half-Life remade with the Source engine, but isn't that what HL: Source already is?

I played the original HL way back when and loved it (and the parallels), and now was going to go back and re-play it with the Source version before catching-up with HL2, so naturally I'm curious about the differences.

Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Sandvich18 Jan 15, 2013 @ 2:25am 
Try it by yourself, you'll see the difference ;)
AidenDemon Jan 15, 2013 @ 3:30am 
HL Source - suck, Black Mesa is half of half life, but look pretty awesome. But they must get back cuted levels!
Botspan Jan 15, 2013 @ 8:37am 
HL:Source is just an experiment by Valve to port the original Half-Life from Goldsrc to Source Engine. Graphics are exactly the same from HL1 with only few improvements thx to Source like flashlight, water shader, etc.

Black Mesa, on the other hand, is a complete remake from scratch. You'll get high-res and high-detail maps, models, etc. Also, it's completely free so getting Black Mesa would be better.
AidenFoxx Jan 15, 2013 @ 2:03pm 
As Psycho said, Black Mesa is a complete remake of the original game created using modern technologies, and takes advantage of all the features of the source engine; and you can really tell the difference between the two. Black Mesa plays like a completely modern game.

Having played both, I highly reccomend Black Mesa. It's currently missing the Xen levels, but the developers intend to create what will be essentially a whole new game for the Xen world.

Plus, it's free! You can't go wrong ;)
Snipes, The Sniper/Witch Hunter Jan 15, 2013 @ 4:49pm 
I think that the BMS team should make the same thing for Half Life: Opposing Force! :D
EvilBob Jan 15, 2013 @ 8:47pm 
Originally posted by GentJohn Freeman:
I think that the BMS team should make the same thing for Half Life: Opposing Force! :D
If the Black Mesa Devs got a penny for every time someone says this,
http://www.moddb.com/mods/operation-black-mesa
CthulhuSaves Jan 15, 2013 @ 9:40pm 
I'm more of a Blue-Shift kinda guy, anyway. lol

I swear, I fully expected a fourth installment back then featuring a janitor. I was gonna dub it, "Half-Life: Mop Up!"
wirs Jan 16, 2013 @ 5:56am 
you know it took them almost 8 years to finish this ?
Last edited by wirs; Jan 16, 2013 @ 5:57am
PrattBot Jan 17, 2013 @ 4:12am 
All you have to do is view two screenshots side by side and you will find out what Black Mesa is about.
Playing the first few levels of HL:S and BMS will answer any remaining questions.
Enile Jan 18, 2013 @ 12:02am 

No. But see this.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/operation-black-mesa
Justice Jan 18, 2013 @ 4:45am 
Originally posted by Kurgan:
I'm more of a Blue-Shift kinda guy, anyway. lol

I swear, I fully expected a fourth installment back then featuring a janitor. I was gonna dub it, "Half-Life: Mop Up!"
http://www.moddb.com/mods/guardduty << That's what this is for :)
CthulhuSaves Jan 18, 2013 @ 5:27am 
Hah! Love it. Hope they've made good progress and it's not something we'll have to wait years to see.

And I really would love to put together a humorous 4th installment featuring the janitor, if I actually had any talent in this area (which I don't). Would be a lot of fun.
Baron Bacon V, phd. Jan 20, 2013 @ 10:12am 
the diffrence is that HLS uses Source 04' while black mesa uses an updated version of Source 07', same as portal 2 and TF2
Hλlf-Mod Jan 20, 2013 @ 5:53pm 
BM:S is indeed a great remake. I play HL:S only cus its fun tokill the scientists and the BS gaurds. When it becomes realsed I will try to beat it... then play it again only to do crap with the console commands! as long as the scientists can be killed in the beggining... along with the BS gaurds
The Winter Soldier Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:56am 
Helf Life: Source didn't get a graphical upgrade from what I know, just better physics and water.
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50