This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

theHunter
Charles "Bromochao" Stover Sep 10, 2013 @ 8:57pm
The camo is unrealistic.
Straight off the bat, all of the characters need to be wearing orange. It is a huge taboo to wear camouflage when hunting. That is the best way to get shot, and the characters wearing neither camo nor orange (such as red and white) will scare off deer. I suggest all characters be given at least orange overcoats to their camo attire to make the game more realistic and teach some common sense to people playing who either A) can't actually/don't know how to hunt and would benefit from the knowledge of wearing orange, or B) are already hunting fans and would be put off by the condoning of such dangerous behavior.
Showing 1-15 of 53 comments
< >
deadlydodo Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:50am 
Unfortunately you fail to realise that what hunting is like locally is not how hunting is done internationally. It could be that many people do not wear the same clothes in other countries than yours. There is also a blazing orange jacket to buy but it is not camoflaged at the moment.

This is also a game and so the reasons for wearing orange irl do not necessarily apply. What in -game reasons would you need to wear orange for?
Charles "Bromochao" Stover Sep 11, 2013 @ 12:07pm 
This has nothing to do with culture. Deer on other continents can't see orange just because they're on another land mass. You wear orange so that humans can see you while deer still can't. The game is promoting not only unrealistic hunting habits (for "The most realistic hunting game ever made!"), but dangerous hunting habits that can get someone killed if they try to mimic what they learned in this game in the real world (because it's supposedly a realistic game).

This is safety 101 for hunting. This is not cultural, not is not national. This is a matter of a realistic game being portrayed unrealistically while simultaneously teaching unsafe habits.
deadlydodo Sep 11, 2013 @ 1:04pm 
So all hunters on earth wear orange?

Realism is subjective not objective. The game is set in a ficticious hunting reserve that while based on real areas abides by its own laws.
Charles "Bromochao" Stover Sep 11, 2013 @ 1:19pm 
It's not about law. It's about literal hunting practice. And yes, the vast, vast majority of hunters on earth wear orange. I feel like you are arguing out of ignorance to try to make a point otherwise. The only people who don't are hunting on private property alone (while the demo shows multiple hunters during any scene).
Have you ever had an experience hunting, or are you just arguing because you're in a ♥♥♥♥y mood? This isn't subjective. There are a bunch of people in the woods shooting any anything that moves. Humans see orange in easy contrast to the environment and other "things that move" can't. This is not subjective. There is a reason the bright orange vests are so strongly associated with hunting. A realistic game should not normalize the idea that hunting without safety equipment is standard, let alone even tolerated. Realism is objective -- it either does or does not match reality. And in reality, hunters wear orange vests (and not white or red). To do otherwise is not realistic.
deadlydodo Sep 11, 2013 @ 1:41pm 
Of course it is subjective. I am also speaking out of experience as this topic about realism based on how individuals hunt has come up before. It is the same with quite a few hunting practices. How you hunt and the laws by which you abide is not the same for people in other areas of the world. The Evergreen Hunting Reserves rules are defined by Expansive Worlds, the developer. No one else.

I also like how you claim to want to educate people and then say that hunters shoot on sight. That is not good practice, you should only take a shot when you are 100% you know what you are shooting at.

I am merely trying to show you that what you say is not actually true for everyone. There is no reason to wear orange when you can't shoot your fellow hunters. If you want to wear orange, then wear the orange gear that has (quite recently I believe) been provided.
Charles "Bromochao" Stover Sep 11, 2013 @ 1:53pm 
You CAN shoot your fellow hunters in the real world, which is why it is worn. This is supposed to be a realistic depiction of hunting, and it isn't. It is not common practice, nor is it even GOOD practice, nor is it even NEUTRAL practice to not wear orange. It is BAD practice, uncommon, and therefore unrealistic. It normalizes bad practice by not being realistic, which not only falsifies the entire slogan of the game, but harms anyone playing who may consider carrying their game experience into the real world.
deadlydodo Sep 11, 2013 @ 2:36pm 
That is in your part of the world. In other parts of the world people may not and they will not, as is usually shown when this has been discussed, like having others peoples rules and traditions forced on them. Orange is worn to prevent being shot(hopefully) however those conditions may not exist everywhere and so people will get very annoyed at not being given the choice to wear what they normally wear.

Again, what people wear and how people hunt is subjective. You can easily host a multiplayer game and stipulate that hunters must where orange if you want, even though the positions of other hunters show up on the map if configured as such.

The thought behind the suggestion is a fair one when considering realism in your part of the world but you must understand that not everyone agrees. You understand what conditions require orange to be worn, so why can you not understand that in a situation where those conditions do not exist, it is unnecessary, and serves no purpose to wear orange?
Charles "Bromochao" Stover Sep 11, 2013 @ 2:37pm 
It is literally not in my part of the world. I don't know why you keep saying that, but I've already addressed it. Repeatedly.
deadlydodo Sep 11, 2013 @ 4:18pm 
Fine, it is not to do with how things are locally with you, just locally to others. However, people can wear what they want in the game and I don't see how that affects realism. The developers are never going to implement such rules as the backlash would be pretty significant I would wager.
Charles "Bromochao" Stover Sep 11, 2013 @ 4:42pm 
I think it should be enabled by default with the option to remove it if the player wants. But as the gameplay demos are now, it is not realistic at all. Hunters do not look like that. All I can think while watching the demo is how unrealistic it looks, almost cringeworthy. I support the ability to remove it, as it can be removed in real life as well. But to not have it enabled by default is teaching an unrealistic standard of hunting.
deadlydodo Sep 11, 2013 @ 6:00pm 
You keep saying hunters do not look like that. Yet there is no one standard hunting uniform. You are stating something as a fact when it is clearly not one. The apparel someone wears is up to them unless laws say otherwise. However, laws are local, not global hence my whole perplexion as to why you want to enforce something that has no business being enforced.

Wearing camo is not a taboo round the world and orange is not a traditional hunting colour from what I understand, it is a modern enough concept because of idiots being given a rifle. As you cannot shoot anyone else in game you do not need it and if someone is stupid enough to try and hunt in real life based on what they learn in game, they deserve to be neutered and never given a gun at all or anything else that can cause others harm.

If this game were based on one area of the world in everything including laws then you would have a fair point, but it isn't.
Charles "Bromochao" Stover Sep 11, 2013 @ 6:44pm 
I am literally not talking about laws, so I don't know why you keep saying that I am. I am just going to conclude that you are not familiar with real life hunting practices (which I should have realized earlier, but "not a traditional hunting colour" was the giveaway) and drop the subject, and leave the comment for the developer.
deadlydodo Sep 12, 2013 @ 5:51am 
I will repeat what I have said as you clearly do not listen. Real life practices to one person, is not the same as real life practices to another, hence why I said it is subjective. Do people in africa, asia, south america, russia, australisia, eastern/western europe all follow the same practices?

Also, it is has no purpose in the game. You do not have any unqualified or deranged people able to shoot you so no need for safety clothing. The hunter is a single player game with opportunity to have other people join you if you want. All hunting grounds are in effect private, invite only even if by default anyone can join a hosts game.

You cannot shoot anyone, at all. So any real life reason that orange clothing is worn in parts of the world do not exist. If you want a comment or to read about how other players of the game like having peopels perceptions of how to hunt forced upon them, go search the forums. Comments by the developer are rare for the most part and I would doubt you will get one on such a topic here.

Manji Sep 12, 2013 @ 6:29am 
if you hunt in groups yes you wear a orange west.
i think as a lone ranger **** all. but honestly isn't that bit ott ?
maybe the US army should give there soldiers orange west too, to drop the casulties through friedly fire lol and yea i think we should ban games like NFS or RaceRoom they even teach unsafe habits (speeding!!!) :) . are we already so brainless to make distictions between reality and a game ? if someone is realy interessted he will find out what he needs to know
btw em i allowed to hunt in pink bermuda shorts and a colourful hawaiian shirt ?

ban all computers, they teach bad habits ! :p
Last edited by Manji; Sep 12, 2013 @ 6:30am
Charles "Bromochao" Stover Sep 12, 2013 @ 11:04am 
Originally posted by deadlydodo:
I will repeat what I have said as you clearly do not listen. Real life practices to one person, is not the same as real life practices to another, hence why I said it is subjective. Do people in africa, asia, south america, russia, australisia, eastern/western europe all follow the same practices?

Also, it is has no purpose in the game. You do not have any unqualified or deranged people able to shoot you so no need for safety clothing. The hunter is a single player game with opportunity to have other people join you if you want. All hunting grounds are in effect private, invite only even if by default anyone can join a hosts game.

You cannot shoot anyone, at all. So any real life reason that orange clothing is worn in parts of the world do not exist. If you want a comment or to read about how other players of the game like having peopels perceptions of how to hunt forced upon them, go search the forums. Comments by the developer are rare for the most part and I would doubt you will get one on such a topic here.
Yes, deadlydodo, people in Africa, Asia, South America, Russia, Australia, and Europe all follow this same practice. I have said more times than I can count that this is not an issue of culture or law. This is an issue of deer being genetically unable to see the color orange. This is not something that changes on other continents. It's very ironic that you say I'm the one who doesn't listen, after I've thoroughly and repeatedly explained that to you.
Hunters are not shot by just unqualified or deranged people. This statement makes it blatantly obvious that you have zero experience in hunting.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that this game is taglined "the most realistic hunting game," not "the most realistic hunting game, except if no other humans are involved and deer are apparently blind to every color." If your argument is that it doesn't affect the gameplay, then you might as well make all the humans stick figures. Why not? Because that's less realistic.

I have never seen anyone less knowledgeable about hunting so hardheaded about it. Christ. You'd think you'd be embarrassed to spout such ignorance repeatedly, but you seem steadfast in making the same lacking arguments. If you aren't going to acknowledge what I say, why are you even replying? Maybe you should ask me if this applies to other places again. I don't think I have an answer for that one!

Originally posted by retroactive abortion:
if you hunt in groups yes you wear a orange west.
i think as a lone ranger **** all. but honestly isn't that bit ott ?
maybe the US army should give there soldiers orange west too, to drop the casulties through friedly fire lol and yea i think we should ban games like NFS or RaceRoom they even teach unsafe habits (speeding!!!) :) . are we already so brainless to make distictions between reality and a game ? if someone is realy interessted he will find out what he needs to know
btw em i allowed to hunt in pink bermuda shorts and a colourful hawaiian shirt ?

ban all computers, they teach bad habits ! :p
Those games don't claim to be realistic or imply educational uses. I think it'd be fine if the game allowed pink and Hawaiian clothing. For realism, though, animals should be more likely to notice you and run off (same for the red and white shirts in the demo). That would be a pinnacle of realism for clothing.
Last edited by Charles "Bromochao" Stover; Sep 12, 2013 @ 11:04am
Showing 1-15 of 53 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50