This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Higurashi When They Cry
creatzs Sep 23, 2013 @ 9:52am
What about Umineko?
I hope Valve will set things going also to offer the other games of the "When They Cry" franchise.

Who wouldn't love to see Umineko getting sold on Steam.
Last edited by creatzs; Sep 26, 2013 @ 4:45am
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Blarg354 Sep 25, 2013 @ 3:31pm 
YEAAA
Chaos_Alfa Sep 26, 2013 @ 3:32am 
I would love it if MangaGamer licensed the Umineko visual novel. The problem is that it has already been totally translated by a fan group. This means many people who wanted to read Umineko have already done it. This makes it less profitable for MangaGamer, but maybe with using Steam it will reach a much lager audience who haven't yet read Umineko yet.
creatzs Sep 26, 2013 @ 4:46am 
Originally posted by Chaos_Alfa:
I would love it if MangaGamer licensed the Umineko visual novel. The problem is that it has already been totally translated by a fan group. This means many people who wanted to read Umineko have already done it. This makes it less profitable for MangaGamer, but maybe with using Steam it will reach a much lager audience who haven't yet read Umineko yet.

Don't you think Higurashi is already translated by a fan group? If you would argue like you did even Higurashi won't even be released on Steam.
Chaos_Alfa Sep 26, 2013 @ 6:03am 
Originally posted by creatzs:

Don't you think Higurashi is already translated by a fan group? If you would argue like you did even Higurashi won't even be released on Steam.

I'm aware of the status of the fan groups who are translating Higurashi and Umineko in English. The English fan translation of Higurashi has come to a stand still with the second arc and the Umineko translation has been completed.

Another thing about Ryukishi07's visual novel is that he supports unofficial translations. Meaning MangaGamer will have to compete against a fully completed high quality fan translation of Umineko. This was not the case with Higurashi.

For more detail I recommend checking this post:
http://novelnews.net/2009/08/02/when-they-translate/

I'm not saying it will be impossible to sell an English version of Umineko, there is just a possibility that it will be difficult, but maybe now that they have access to Steam they will give it another shot.
Last edited by Chaos_Alfa; Sep 27, 2013 @ 10:35am
『Gaap』 Sep 28, 2013 @ 5:48am 
Wouldn't it be more fun if Ougon got in Steam though?
Kurozakura Sep 28, 2013 @ 9:57pm 
Yes, stir up some noise on forums about Ougon just like higurashi, and this will make it to greenlight hopefully.

And wouldnt it be much better for the MangaGamer and the Fan Groups, to let MangaGamer release it through steam at it is, and let the Fan Group release thier's as part of the game's steam workshop?

EDIT: Made a request at discussion since no one made one yet. http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/1/846965882712233608/?appid=765
Last edited by Kurozakura; Sep 28, 2013 @ 10:01pm
Reggie Oct 6, 2013 @ 12:12pm 
Originally posted by creatzs:

I'm aware of the status of the fan groups who are translating Higurashi and Umineko in English. The English fan translation of Higurashi has come to a stand still with the second arc and the Umineko translation has been completed.

Another thing about Ryukishi07's visual novel is that he supports unofficial translations. Meaning MangaGamer will have to compete against a fully completed high quality fan translation of Umineko. This was not the case with Higurashi.

For more detail I recommend checking this post:
http://novelnews.net/2009/08/02/when-they-translate/

I'm not saying it will be impossible to sell an English version of Umineko, there is just a possibility that it will be difficult, but maybe now that they have access to Steam they will give it another shot.

JAST USA is selling Steins;Gate even though there are fan translations.
Hell, I preordered the collector's edition.
If there is a market for it, people will buy it.
Shaded Spriter Oct 6, 2013 @ 4:24pm 
I am going to be buying Higurashi BECAUSE I want to buy an official English Translation of Umineko.

I have bought both on disc but like with Cave Story, Dark souls and a few other games - I am willing to buy it multiple times to support the developer and especially the translators.

The reason I haven't bought it directly from manga gamer is I do not trust many none-steam download places. (Humble Bundle, GOG.) and with Visual novels being a small industry outside of Japan I don't trust their back end to always be there to download the games.

Also slightly good news - They are selling the downloads through their site of Umineko (Japanese with a link to the witch hunt site) as of 3 days ago. [And the French version of Higurashi - I am guessing steam will have both options.]
Last edited by Shaded Spriter; Oct 6, 2013 @ 4:25pm
the_gurminator Oct 10, 2013 @ 1:25am 
Mangagamer apparently got Umineko recently. Japanese, but still. So depending on how long it takes them to translate it, this could be on here in a few years.
[Poa Compressa] AXEL ~Sabrutin Oct 16, 2013 @ 12:52pm 
Originally posted by the_gurminator:
Mangagamer apparently got Umineko recently. Japanese, but still. So depending on how long it takes them to translate it, this could be on here in a few years.
This.
Chaos_Alfa Oct 25, 2013 @ 2:37am 

They aren't planning on translating Umineko. They are just selling the Japanese version to make it easier for western people to get it and apply the translation patch. But I suppose there could be a change if Higurashi sells a lot on Steam they will reconsider.
Last edited by Chaos_Alfa; Oct 25, 2013 @ 5:47am
dilworks Oct 28, 2013 @ 10:03pm 

They aren't planning on translating Umineko. They are just selling the Japanese version to make it easier for western people to get it and apply the translation patch. But I suppose there could be a change if Higurashi sells a lot on Steam they will reconsider.
This.

Fan translation patches are useless if you still have to resort to pirating the original games. Jumping hoops just to find a proper version you can patch isn't my idea of fun. So selling the original Japanese version and letting users patch themselves is a reasonable compromise for me, as long as it is available in a form that I could buy (Steam? Desura? OK! Importing CDs from Japan? Some sales channel that rejects non-JP CC's? Not an option for me, sorry).
Last edited by dilworks; Oct 28, 2013 @ 10:04pm
End1essSorcerer Nov 3, 2013 @ 3:18am 
As far as I understand it Witch Hunt (the translation group) and MangaGamer decided to use the JP game and WH patch to avoid intellectual property issues http://forums.mangagamer.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149 (Yirba is a member of WH)

But yeah, while I do have Umineko (imported the games and just love them), and I would love to see it on Steam together with Higanbana and Rose Gun Days, but I suspect that would be very difficult and to expensive. So I will just suggest to buy Umineko from MG. I bought Higurashi from there, and while I have some complaints about the game (like cut content and bad to mediocre translation), I had no problems with the shopping itself.
Reflex F.N. Feb 6 @ 4:51am 
I would like to have Umineko on Steam, that would be great!
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50