This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Underhell
Blazey Sep 8, 2013 @ 6:54pm
Theory thread
I'm guessing with a game like this that the devs wanted us to think about what the hell's happening, happened, or is going to happen, so I'll um... I'll just leave this here.
Showing 1-15 of 66 comments
< >
Mkilbride Sep 8, 2013 @ 9:33pm 
Mxthe wrote a 600 page "script" for this game.

he's got a clear idea on the story he wants to tell, and how to tell it.

That said, good luck people.
greeneyedgirl927 Sep 10, 2013 @ 10:16am 
We know Tom is the West Janus. Maybe Micheal is the East Janus?
Last edited by greeneyedgirl927; Sep 10, 2013 @ 11:30am
Fidchell Sep 14, 2013 @ 1:24am 
This game definitely has me scratching my head. The presence of Takeo at the end made me wonder what/who was real. Really an intriguing story so far, and so well presented...
Blazey Sep 14, 2013 @ 1:26am 
Originally posted by Fidchell the Double Peasant:
This game definitely has me scratching my head. The presence of Takeo at the end made me wonder what/who was real. Really an intriguing story so far, and so well presented...
That was Takeo at the end?
Now my mind is gone.
Mkilbride Sep 14, 2013 @ 1:41am 
Haha, yeah it was.

Mxthe also told me there are twists and turns obviously, but I asked him to spoil it for me somewhat, nothing huge, I only asked him "Is it going to end with it was all a dream or hallucination?"

He said no. Sorry for that spoiler, but my enjoyment depended on knowing it, and I want others to as well. I'm just so sick of that plot twist. It's like the only plot twist anyone does in horror games these days and it's just damn dumb.
Blazey Sep 14, 2013 @ 1:43am 
I can understand why you asked that, I hate that ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.
Niolo Strent Sep 20, 2013 @ 6:40am 
My personal theory about Jake's wife was that Jake himself killed her. The Guilt monster that keeps manifesting in his dreams are his guilt at killing her. He's repressed the memory to avoid going insane. Another theory of mine is that Mia is the Eastern Janus, since in Tom's diary, he mentions that him and Mia share a tight unique bond. But, if that's true, how does Jake's wife know Mia? This game is like Alice in Wonderland, in that it makes us think, "How far does the rabbit hole go?"
Blazey Sep 20, 2013 @ 12:53pm 
Originally posted by Niolo Strent (Janus):
My personal theory about Jake's wife was that Jake himself killed her. The Guilt monster that keeps manifesting in his dreams are his guilt at killing her. He's repressed the memory to avoid going insane.
Have you been to the well yet? That actually made me start this thread, and also makes me think the same.
Niolo Strent Sep 20, 2013 @ 1:00pm 
My personal theory about Jake's wife was that Jake himself killed her. The Guilt monster that keeps manifesting in his dreams are his guilt at killing her. He's repressed the memory to avoid going insane.
Have you been to the well yet? That actually made me start this thread, and also makes me think the same.

Yeah, I've been to the well, where Angelo stalks you until you get those tapes. I swear, that will freaking scare the hell outta anyone. But it does fill in the blanks a bit. So, the two main suspects in Jake's wife's death is Angelo, or Jake himself.
Blazey Sep 20, 2013 @ 3:13pm 

Yeah, I've been to the well, where Angelo stalks you until you get those tapes. I swear, that will freaking scare the hell outta anyone. But it does fill in the blanks a bit. So, the two main suspects in Jake's wife's death is Angelo, or Jake himself.
Now that I explored the well a bit more, I was thinking maybe that Jake did kill his wife, as well as Angelo, while under a forced psychopathic meltdown (Like in the end of the prologue), and it was either the doings of Michael, Jake's employers, or the... erm, I forgot their name. Ito's guys- because of the job Angelo and his team messed up, which would explain why he keeps repeating "I'm sorry."
...But if that were the case, and Jake had no memory of it, then why would he feel guilt? Maybe there's something in the tapes, of which I have not finished, I missed. Either way, I'd also like to point to Jake's father for some evidence. It seems like he's warning Jake, Frank, and his mom that this would happen, which leads me to believe it was the doings of Jake's employers. Anyways, that's what I think.
Niolo Strent Sep 20, 2013 @ 3:19pm 

Now that I explored the well a bit more, I was thinking maybe that Jake did kill his wife, as well as Angelo, while under a forced psychopathic meltdown (Like in the end of the prologue), and it was either the doings of Michael, Jake's employers, or the... erm, I forgot their name. Ito's guys- because of the job Angelo and his team messed up, which would explain why he keeps repeating "I'm sorry."
...But if that were the case, and Jake had no memory of it, then why would he feel guilt? Maybe there's something in the tapes, of which I have not finished, I missed. Either way, I'd also like to point to Jake's father for some evidence. It seems like he's warning Jake, Frank, and his mom that this would happen, which leads me to believe it was the doings of Jake's employers. Anyways, that's what I think.

The reason why Jake feels guilt, if he killed his wife, is because while his memory of killing her is supressed and repressed to avoid the guilt, his subconscious still remembers killing her, and its leaking out, which is manifested by the Guilt Monster that's seen in Jake's dreams. Although, why the heck was Jake's wife in the initial portion of Chapter 2, or was that the Guilt Monster? Anyway, the "I'm sorry" bit said by Angelo was also said before he was pulled into the bathroom by Jake's wife and apparently killed..
Last edited by Niolo Strent; Sep 20, 2013 @ 3:19pm
Cpt.Haxray Sep 21, 2013 @ 9:59am 
Personaly, I agree with jake killing his wife, which totally explains the guilt. Problem is, angelo's part confuses me completely. Some sorta mission to observe Jake? Makes me wonder when the events of the house actualy take place. Maybe they take place AFTER the main chapters. Also, Anyone got any ideas what this stuff about "your gift, but if they tried to use it, it would kill you" or something like that spoken by the father in the dream part of chapter 1's house?... seeing as they were putting Jake under hypnosis and some guy mentioned "My men are still stuck in there"... maybe Jake is a physic or something that is able to see areas he never been to, or 'take control' of someone.
Niolo Strent Sep 21, 2013 @ 10:02am 
Originally posted by ZESgt.Haxtozous:
Personaly, I agree with jake killing his wife, which totally explains the guilt. Problem is, angelo's part confuses me completely. Some sorta mission to observe Jake? Makes me wonder when the events of the house actualy take place. Maybe they take place AFTER the main chapters. Also, Anyone got any ideas what this stuff about "your gift, but if they tried to use it, it would kill you" or something like that spoken by the father in the dream part of chapter 1's house?... seeing as they were putting Jake under hypnosis and some guy mentioned "My men are still stuck in there"... maybe Jake is a physic or something that is able to see areas he never been to, or 'take control' of someone.

The House portions certainly are odd, in that we don't know where or when they occur. The Dreams are him reliving memories that he doesn't remember, but his subconscious does, thus explaining why the Guilt Monster appears in the dreams.
Last edited by Niolo Strent; Sep 21, 2013 @ 10:02am
James870556 Sep 24, 2013 @ 6:32pm 
I honestly think that by chapter 3 we'll probably now the mystery of what happened to Jake's wife. The game still has me scratching my head though so here's the main points I got.

- Jake might have murdered his wife

- Frank raised Jake becuase for unknown reasons his father couldn't raise him

- Jake and his wife had some type of supernatural connection

- Jake's father is the Western Janus and Mia is possibly the Eastern

- The prologue's enemies were PMC's trying to "clean up" and silence scientists who knew about an illegal / unethical experiment that went horribly wrong ( pretty much like the Marines in Half Life 1 )

- Since nearly everyone except the top PMC's in "The Prologue" operation died when Jake went all Incredible Hulk he was blamed for the whole incident

- Jake will be hunted by the PMC's until he's dead because they need to silence the truth

- "Michael The Lawyer" is obviously a part of the the mysterious agency mentioned by Matthew Porter

"THEORIES"

- The agency has been trying to find out about A.R.C's experiments for some time

- The A.R.C is in opposition to the agency

- The leader of the A.R.C wants humanity to get out from under "The Agency's" control

- This whole event is one giant test for Jake. The A.R.C needs Jake to lead a worldwide revolution against "The Agency's" control.

Those are just my conclusions from the game and some theories.

Also something else I noticed in Jake's Wife's diary:

"Page 7: September 11th, 2001

My God, I can't believe what's happening, the entire country is shaking, everyone's afraid, all the neighbors are gathering to talk about what happened...I'ts terrible, I can't believe mankind can do such things...
I actually think I saw it happen, I saw a bright light in the sky this night, but when I learned that this horrible event happened during the day, it made me wonder what was that light I saw, it was too big to be a star and too fast to be a plane...

I could swear I felt the ground shake after the light reached the horizon, but we are really far away from the city so it could not have been..."

This make's me think the story will grow in scale as far as the events as the game goes on.

Niolo Strent Sep 25, 2013 @ 7:57am 
Originally posted by badcompany2izdabomb:
I honestly think that by chapter 3 we'll probably now the mystery of what happened to Jake's wife. The game still has me scratching my head though so here's the main points I got.

- Jake might have murdered his wife

- Frank raised Jake becuase for unknown reasons his father couldn't raise him

- Jake and his wife had some type of supernatural connection

- Jake's father is the Western Janus and Mia is possibly the Eastern

- The prologue's enemies were PMC's trying to "clean up" and silence scientists who knew about an illegal / unethical experiment that went horribly wrong ( pretty much like the Marines in Half Life 1 )

- Since nearly everyone except the top PMC's in "The Prologue" operation died when Jake went all Incredible Hulk he was blamed for the whole incident

- Jake will be hunted by the PMC's until he's dead because they need to silence the truth

- "Michael The Lawyer" is obviously a part of the the mysterious agency mentioned by Matthew Porter

"THEORIES"

- The agency has been trying to find out about A.R.C's experiments for some time

- The A.R.C is in opposition to the agency

- The leader of the A.R.C wants humanity to get out from under "The Agency's" control

- This whole event is one giant test for Jake. The A.R.C needs Jake to lead a worldwide revolution against "The Agency's" control.

Those are just my conclusions from the game and some theories.

Also something else I noticed in Jake's Wife's diary:

"Page 7: September 11th, 2001

My God, I can't believe what's happening, the entire country is shaking, everyone's afraid, all the neighbors are gathering to talk about what happened...I'ts terrible, I can't believe mankind can do such things...
I actually think I saw it happen, I saw a bright light in the sky this night, but when I learned that this horrible event happened during the day, it made me wonder what was that light I saw, it was too big to be a star and too fast to be a plane...

I could swear I felt the ground shake after the light reached the horizon, but we are really far away from the city so it could not have been..."

This make's me think the story will grow in scale as far as the events as the game goes on.

I concur with your theory that Mia is the Eastern Janus. She apparently "can handle anything". But how did Jake's wife know Mia? Also, I theorize that Mia is Jake's sister, since Raito is likely Jake's brother, given that Raito is the son of the CEO who owns the UDRC and ARC, which is Janus. Now, if Raito is Thomas's son, Raito is Jake's brother. Also, Mia is Raito's brother, so that would make Mia Jake's sister.

But I do want a happy ending for Jake. The poor guy's been through so much ♥♥♥♥ in his life, the guy deserves to have something go right for him.
Showing 1-15 of 66 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50