This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Rebirth
Rico  [developer] Sep 29, 2012 @ 12:58pm
Elements of Horror - Build your own scare
Title says it all. Horror will come into play a night, and sometimes during the day in some rare occasions. What would you like to see in the game, horror-wise?

If you could design a scare for the game, describe it here. If I like your idea, I will work with you to implement it into the game!

I have many ideas but everyone has their definition of scary. Tell me yours and lets try to build the most horryfing sandbox experience possible. I want people to crap their pants when the sun sets and night sets in.

Go!
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
< >
Spector3 Sep 29, 2012 @ 2:40pm 
Both Day and Night- certain foods and plants as helusanagens cause freaky looking things that makes him/her see things such as their skin being burnt to the bone or seeing themselves puking out scarab like beetles.
Night- Strigoi {close to a boss like stature[only shows up in dark areas](creatures that begin with human like shape and can turn into things such as werewolves and vampires)} start to morph and do their blood curdling screams with Banshees (quick version of story: woman who is similar to the grim reaper and her tears are blood and always crys{kill her she lets out a loud shout and zombies come charging in.}
Day- plants open up things similar to mouths to photosynthesise (closes at night) and when it senses body heat it launches needle-tipped vines and pukes out acid into the players body then sucks it up to cause it to gain extra nutrients.
Skooma Sep 29, 2012 @ 3:50pm 
When you mentioned that you have enemies that wait and sit in the ground for you, that already is pretty terrifying because trap-door spiders.

Personally, I hate things that sit and watch you. Maybe having an enemy that has dim-glowing eyes that just follow you wherever you go. Even more interesting, you could have this supernatural-ish enemy be kind of an attractor to other types of enemies. It'll lead other enemies to you unless you can chase it off, but whenever you approach it, it'll run.
Last edited by Skooma; Sep 29, 2012 @ 4:01pm
Charstine Sep 29, 2012 @ 4:18pm 
I've always been afraid of the shapes that dark shadows can create. Whether it's a human figure off in the distance or just an unnatural shape that chills to the bone despite being unrelated to anything we recognize as frightening. Making these shadows actually be an entity capable to move and watch you is beyond creepy.

To latch on to s0ne's idea, I feel like this supernatural-ish enemy would be frightening if a) it's form was something close to what we'd recognize as human or b) if it resembled a part of the environment yet still watched you with eyes.

I definitely like the idea of it attracting enemies to it. It would give the player a great sense of danger when he/she ran in to one after already having the misfortune of meeting one prior. This enemy would essentially be the ticking time-bomb that the player would need to figure out how to get rid of before more aggressive enemies come along.
Spector3 Sep 29, 2012 @ 5:07pm 
Strigoi when they morph would give off a very disgusting mass of muscle possibly fur and eyes all mixed up.Of course it would walk but its multi form possibility would freak you out the most. Imagine this creature could change into a little girl with nails similar to knives or it could change into a werewolf, its possibilities are endless. Their weakest state has always been its beginning form. Its strongest was in mid morph because during this (in one story) it drag a little girl into it and she and it became one when it was killed (however) she had became a form it had been a hybrid of werewolf and vampire she had been attached with it for 7 yrs. and she became part of it when she was 9 yrs. old. Luckily (for her) the young man protected her after killing the beast, but they had twins after a couple of yrs. together and one was a vampire the other a werewolf. And so on and so forth. Basically DONT MESS WITH THEM!
Rico  [developer] Oct 2, 2012 @ 9:47am 

Originally posted by s0ne4ever:
When you mentioned that you have enemies that wait and sit in the ground for you, that already is pretty terrifying because trap-door spiders.

Personally, I hate things that sit and watch you. Maybe having an enemy that has dim-glowing eyes that just follow you wherever you go. Even more interesting, you could have this supernatural-ish enemy be kind of an attractor to other types of enemies. It'll lead other enemies to you unless you can chase it off, but whenever you approach it, it'll run.

This guy actually matches quite a few of the things my first "night time enemy" already does.

I call them Shadowmen, they're an enemy I had created for a mod I was working on a long time ago, that never saw the light of day.

The attractor idea sounds interesting, I'll see if I can work that into an enemy type eventually, I'll keep you guys posted when I start on it. I'm still doing some heavy work on optimizing the basic AI, since all other AI will run on top of it, and measuring performance so I haven't started pumping out bad guys like crazy yet. There are already about 3 basic enemy types though (all completely different from each other) so I don't think I'm off to a bad start.

Last edited by Rico; Oct 2, 2012 @ 9:51am
Skooma Oct 2, 2012 @ 2:05pm 
Originally posted by Rico:

This guy actually matches quite a few of the things my first "night time enemy" already does.

I call them Shadowmen, they're an enemy I had created for a mod I was working on a long time ago, that never saw the light of day.

The attractor idea sounds interesting, I'll see if I can work that into an enemy type eventually, I'll keep you guys posted when I start on it. I'm still doing some heavy work on optimizing the basic AI, since all other AI will run on top of it, and measuring performance so I haven't started pumping out bad guys like crazy yet. There are already about 3 basic enemy types though (all completely different from each other) so I don't think I'm off to a bad start.

Yay shadowmen.....! I'm looking forward to some of my worst fears happening while I'm fighting for my life >_> xD

I'm very excited to see how you work out the enemy AI. Don't worry about pumping out results xD Having a basis for things is good enough for me. I would like to see a devblog or livestream of you working on the enemy AI though :O
Spector3 Oct 2, 2012 @ 5:50pm 
Originally posted by Rico:

Yay shadowmen.....! I'm looking forward to some of my worst fears happening while I'm fighting for my life >_> xD

I'm very excited to see how you work out the enemy AI. Don't worry about pumping out results xD Having a basis for things is good enough for me. I would like to see a devblog or livestream of you working on the enemy AI though :O
Yea (if you can livestream) you should record the AI creation.
Maybe at night have a special fish enemy that glows like a flashlight in water(like an angler fish) but make its tail and gills do this. It wouldd have a cool looking affect and bug the hell out of you if you're on a boat.
Donutking6190 Oct 12, 2012 @ 12:07am 
When I play a horror game Like Slender or Amnesia, I always have the feeling that something is going to just come out of nowhere and scare the crap out of me. so to me i think it's really the background music and ambience that can really put someone in the mood of a good horror.
your game sounds Epic. I can't wait to play it.
Skooma Oct 13, 2012 @ 10:43am 
Originally posted by DonutKing6190:
When I play a horror game Like Slender or Amnesia, I always have the feeling that something is going to just come out of nowhere and scare the crap out of me. so to me i think it's really the background music and ambience that can really put someone in the mood of a good horror.
your game sounds Epic. I can't wait to play it.

I completely agree that atmosphere has to play a part in building a successful scare. However, I think that a lack of background music can also create the necessary suspense. I know that in pure silence, all of my sense start becoming sensitive to everything around me, which is why pitch darkness can be so terrifying. All your nerves try to make sense of everything and anything that is happening. For ambiance, the dev has already mentioned the importance of lighting. So, I'm looking forward to how the environment is going to work toward enhancing any fearful situations.
whispertogether Oct 20, 2012 @ 8:59pm 
The creepiest thing is something you know is there, but cannot see. If you had a creature that follows the player, making some noises occasionally, spooking the player. The player would need a light to find it, and it may charge immeddiatly if spotted, spooking the crap out of someone. If the creature followed the player, and chose a time when it didnt have its armor, or its weapon out, to attack, that would freak the person out as well.

Creepy things could also be scavers that mutate into something either freaky wolfish or big mutants of muscle when you attack them.

* you see two scavengers pearing over a bunch of water bottles, seeing which are filled. You are sneaking up behind them from around the counter, preparing your gun to pop them both quickly in the head. You get close, pop of both shots, and hear both the bodies hit the ground. satisfied, you take their stuff, and start looking at the waterbottles. As you are busy looking, the scavengers begin to stand up. turning around, you see that the creatures arent human. taking on a frightening height and muscle bulge, they begin to snarl and roar, flexing their new, sinewy arms, then charge you, stabbing you through the eye with a long clawed finger. After fighting over your body, on drives the other off, peeling your skin to take for itself. *
Brennen Die Herzen Oct 23, 2012 @ 7:26pm 
(Some study material I used: http://redlodge.schoolwires.com/59610818143418910/lib/59610818143418910/_files/horror.pdf )

Imagine walking into an abandoned house during the day, just doing your normal routine. Kick open a few doors, pop some caps into a few giant rats, pick up scraps from the floor and clear any shelves of useful supplies. Making your way up the creaking stairs, a thumping can be heard. Not footsteps, as they are too heavy, too labored, and getting more violent with each hit. As your feet slowly add to the slowly loudening slamming, you reach the top of the stairwell. The noise almost instantaneously stops. You thumb your temple with one hand, thinking about your next move as you quickly ready your Revolver in the other. Slowly opening the doors to each bedroom, nothing seems out of the ordinary. You cringe a little looking into a children's bedroom, but all seems A-Okay.

You reach for the handle to the door heading back to the stairwell to check out the last room. As you twist the knob, a deafening crash reverberates up the stairs. After waiting a while in the children's room, you make your way outside, heart racing, adrenaline pumping through your veins. You regret not bringing along your 12 gauge. The door to the last room is smashed through and dragged halfway down the stairwell. More disturbing, though, is the long trail of blood leading from the newly opened room to the first floor. Half-heartedly creeping downstairs, you poke your head into the kitchen.

Blood surrounds a smashed in window, and tuffs of hair line the shattered glass. Behind the counter lies a body of a scavenger, at least you think it's a scavenger. Bones are poking out from every angle and the ribcage is ripped open. The "man's" death had to have been swift, you hope. Turning to leave, you catch a glimpse of the front door slamming shut as a low growling noise shakes your very bones. Somehow your instincts tell you you're trespassing. How to proceed is up to you. Do you make a last stand in the battered and recently bloodied house? Wait to see if the beast leaves you be in search of a new victim? Make a mad dash through the woods, hoping to reach your safe house before the creature reaches you? Whatever you choose, it'll definitely be an uphill battle.

People are both afraid and curious of the unknown. You give a gamer something interesting; they'll look into it, even if it'll scare their pants off. Only reveal enough to get them interested, and when the time is right, show them their curiosity opened Pandora's Box and they just lost a match of Russian Roulette.
Last edited by Brennen Die Herzen; Oct 23, 2012 @ 7:26pm
Rico  [developer] Oct 23, 2012 @ 9:35pm 
@pattthebakr:

That link is very interesting, I read a lot of it and I have to say it was a nice read.

I like your example a lot. I tend to follow the school of thought that suspense and the unknown play a huge part in horror and being scared. As you may imagine, I favor the school of psychological horror over things like extreme gore (though it does have its place).

Definitely keep posting your ideas. I really like them! One thing I'm interested in, is your take on something like a dynamic scare. The scenario you mentioned isn't bad, but its something that would be hard to pull off due to the sandbox nature of the game. In a linear corridor horror game (like pretty much all others, I think this is one of the first attempts at a horror sandbox?) you get complete control over everything. A player can walk over X spot and trigger an event, and you can then do all kinds of stuff to make them go the way you like. In a sandbox, that gets harder, because if you start focusing on linear elements too much you take the sandbox experience and destroy it.
Last edited by Rico; Oct 23, 2012 @ 9:35pm
Brennen Die Herzen Oct 24, 2012 @ 11:03am 
@Rico

I know what you mean, sandboxes are much harder to code horror aspects into rather than a linear set up. This is why I admire the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games so much, even with the go anywhere, do anything aspect, the devs managed to make me feel like there could be anything around any corner. The psionic enemies are the best, for sure. Burers, Controllers, and Poltergeists are all examples of the great monster design. Having an enemy which can screw with your mind is a terrifying aspect, nothing you can physically do to stop it besides pumping said monster full of lead. I remember my first play through of Deadspace 2 like it was yesterday.

*SPOILER*

When you crawl out of the ventilation shaft in the Unitology sector, and "Nicole" goes to stab you in the eye terrified me. The jump scare was enough, but when you defeat her and realize you were actually trying to stab yourself instead of it being a pure illusion was just gut-wrenching. You realized you really had no control over this one aspect of the game. Isaac was truly insane, and god only knew what would happen next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z7qaDpOG_Y (low quality, but it gets the point across)

*SPOILER END*

A psionic enemy that attacks only when you're safe from other enemies is a great way to keep someone on their toes. You'd have to battle through the many tricks before you'd be able to shove a gun up their mouth. It's also rather satisfying ending your enemy when you couldn't touch them before.

semi-related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayZG-RJCUYs
Last edited by Brennen Die Herzen; Oct 24, 2012 @ 11:04am
MILKMAN Oct 26, 2012 @ 6:09am 
The shadow idea was cool. Maybe making those shadows able to attack... Also psionic enemies that can't controll your mind, but distract by creating creepy illusions.
CussOven Nov 30, 2012 @ 5:29am 
Is this discussion still open? Eh... I wish I came here sooner... Anyways!:

Stealth.

Personally, I'd like to see heavy stealth elements in the game. You've probably never even heard of it, but "Thief" is a great example of what I'm talking about. Or "Penumbra" as a weaker example.

But yeah, maybe you could make a mode where you can't use weapons. That would be a lot more fun for people like me. Where you'd have to rely on sneaking around, hiding in corners, trying to still your breathing so you won't be heard and maybe even letting the player build traps of different kinds out of the materials they find in the day.

But yeah, stealth mechanics would have to be added. You'd have to set rules for lighting, sound, possibly sent (That would be a new one!), and would definitely need to add leaning into the game. So you can lean to look around corners, of course.

But that would be freaky. Having to cloak your scent to avoid a special enemy that tracks you through scent. And maybe it's sense of smell is so good because it's blind or something. Oh! And how about this?!: If you're injured, you'd better find a way to patch up your wound quickly, because that special enemy picks up the scent of BLOOD particuarly well.

Intelligent AI would be nice too. Like maybe enemies that can track footprints. Or something like that. The only problem with the "footprints" idea is that you'd have to give it to a creature that hunts other creatures that wear shoes. LOL. So in other words, not zombies.

Hm... There's another idea. Do you think it's a good or bad idea to let an enemy be hostile to another type of enemy?

Well, I think that's it for now. By the way, S.T.A.L.K.E.R is considered "horror"? LMAO. THAT'S surprising.
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50