This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Rebirth
lestat2150 Oct 31, 2013 @ 3:49am
Rebirth will take a LONG time to develop
Well...another zombie open world game. As soon as I noticed this on greenlight I immediatly thought of the dead linger. Another zombie procedurally generated game that is on early access. That game has taken 18 months to develop, exceeded their kickstarter campaign by nearly 100 grand, and is only 30% complete even after all the money they made from early access. The company that makes TDL, sandswept, is a team of about 15 guys. So how long do you really think rebirth will take to fully be produced? Easily longer, especially if Rico is doing this in his spare time.

The idea looks amazing and the graphics are very good. Just dont hold your breath with these types of games. Someone just needs to make a 3rd person zombie mmorpg already.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
TheArmorOfGlory Oct 31, 2013 @ 7:52am 
I hope that mabye later in development Rico will do a kickstarter to speed up development. If he did I would definetly donate.
lestat2150 Oct 31, 2013 @ 7:55am 
As would I.
Crimson Bort Nov 10, 2013 @ 11:16pm 
If you compare this to TDL in its current stage, this is looking far more polished at the moment.TDL is a great idea, but from what I've seen, isn't panning out the way it was planned, that game doesn't even look acceptable for pre-alpha in my opinion. This looks good! sure theres a lot of open world apocalypse games, but I personally can't get enough of em! They each seem to have their own pro's and cons that makes them their own unique experience.
lestat2150 Nov 10, 2013 @ 11:30pm 
Originally posted by Crimson Bort:
If you compare this to TDL in its current stage, this is looking far more polished at the moment.TDL is a great idea, but from what I've seen, isn't panning out the way it was planned, that game doesn't even look acceptable for pre-alpha in my opinion. This looks good! sure theres a lot of open world apocalypse games, but I personally can't get enough of em! They each seem to have their own pro's and cons that makes them their own unique experience.
I agree on TDL. It isnt nearly what it should be for early access on steam. Sandswept should've kept the old engine. But anyway, yeah I like zombie survival games as well. In fact they are the only games I like to play anymore. Here's hoping undead labs makes a decent zombie mmorpg that is nothinng like state of decay. Personally I thought the story was awful and the characters 1 dimensional. If rebirth gets put on kickstarter I will definatly back it. I want this game to get made already.
Crimson Bort Nov 11, 2013 @ 7:14pm 
I held off on state of decay for keyboard support, and now that it has it I've lost interest, theres better looking zombie survival games coming. Anyone seen the pre-alpha vid for dying light? If its as open world survival as they make it out to be thats going to be an amazing game. My gut is telling me its gonna be another Dead Island though.
SkullScience Nov 12, 2013 @ 5:58am 
Yeah, if you go on to The Dead Linger forums you will see the comments like 'unique', 'never been attempted' 'what other game has procedural generated worlds'? Erm, this for one. This already kind of looks more impressive than TDL, although not sure which started development first. I believe this is a single guy doing all the work, which kind of makes TDL look amateurish if they have a team. I will donate if it gets to kickstarter, but in all honesty, I really don't think either this or TDL will be an acomplished piece of software, certainly not worth the 20 bucks TDL is asking, and what I mean by that is it never will be, not now, not at v1.0. I get the impression Rico is a little more honest on that front. Let's face it, these are devs taking baby steps in a new genre (procedurally generated zombie survival) that a large company will come in and overtake everyone. Inevitable.
Rico  [developer] Nov 13, 2013 @ 6:15pm 
Hey folks,

First, thanks for all the kind comments, very much appreciated!

I am considering doing a Kickstarter to help us fund development a little bit, we'll need some help with licenses and such at the very least. I've been trying to fund the game with my own money and have done that thus far, as I really dislike the current trend where devs beg the community for money to *maybe* make a game they'll enjoy and all they do is put up some concept art and a canned, fake, video. All the footage we've released is done ingame and shows only features currently in the actual game, all real gameplay, always. Any crowdfunding we do would be to help speed up development and get cooler features into the game, not to try to pry preorders using concept art :-).

I've made most of the game myself from a programming standpoint, with art being contributed by our awesome artists. I have gotten another programmer involved this month but RL has gotten in the way month and has made things a bit difficult lately. However, work is steadily progressing as always. This is what I do instead of playing games most days!

It's true that to really get to my final vision for the game, it may take a little while. However that isn't to say there won't be something for you folks to play in the near future, it just means that we'll have to take it one step at a time. I want to really make Rebirth into a game you can sink hundreds of hours into and come out with fond memories. That's why I work so hard to create systems that will make the game as replayable as possible!

Rebirth is quite a bit more than a zombie game. After seeing a few other games run with our ideas in the past, I've been keeping things a bit closer to my chest than I'd like. It's a real shame because there's quite a lot of stuff that isn't quite ready for the light of day yet but I think it will definitely make you all very happy once we unveil it. Some pretty unique features to the horror genre, I feel. I've also drafted quite an interesting universe and I think The Others will surprise you all quite a bit. I'm not out to make another tired zombie survival simulator here, this is a survival horror game at it's core after all!

As you can see procedural generation in Rebirth is quite a bit more complex than in other games. We don't just slap generic houses on some terrain and call it a day. The entire level structure is procedurally generated. The terrains will eventually also be procedural as well, with procedural houses sitting on top of them most likely.

The AI is another thing I'll be showing you soon. It's a pretty realistic simulation using senses like sight and sound to drive all of their behaviors. It's been pretty cool for a while already but I've been so swamped with work that I've hardly had the time to give it a real showcase. That definitely needs to change.

It's true that I try to be honest about the game's development. I do have a day job, which is a mixed blessing. On one hand, it allows me to talk to you as players without having money goggles on and seeing dollar signs. On the other hand, it keeps me from working full time on Rebirth :-/

My goal is to make this a fun game, not make millions. The one thing I hope to get out of releasing Rebirth for sale isn't to line my pockets with cash, but to make enough to continue to expand it/make other games that people can enjoy as much as I love making them. It always makes me happy to see that our community likes my open approach to development and I'll continue to talk to you all as long as you'll have me!
Last edited by Rico; Nov 13, 2013 @ 6:19pm
lestat2150 Nov 13, 2013 @ 9:02pm 
Thanks Rico for that lenghthy explanation. Yeah I think we all understand you're a small indie team. Also I know that procedural generation is really difficult to code. Sandswept, the guys behind the dead linger, found it so difficult that they scrapped their in house engine and went with unity. Thats something to consider. Personally i find unity to look dreadful. The graphics you have for your showcase video are much better. Good luck with the project though, if it gets put on kickstarter and all you need is 50k or so i'm sure it'll get funded. As an example, look at the dead linger again...they wanted 45k and made somethng like 125k and after a year, STILL havent produced the game they promised. If it gets put on kickstarter and gets backed, just dont make the same mistake these other indie devs make by not finishing the product.
Crimson Bort Nov 14, 2013 @ 8:07pm 
Wow Rico, you dedicate more time to responding to feedback than some guys probably dedicate to their games! lol :P I have a good feeling about this one!
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50