This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Stardew Valley
Giant Cheeseburger Sep 25, 2012 @ 7:02pm
Progress, upkeep, endings and end-game
I'm wondering what the progression of the game ends up being by the end. Is there an "ending" at which point it's Game Over? I hope not.

I realize there's a limited amount of content you can put in the game (limited number of people, dialogues, etc.) but there is SO MUCH POTENTIAL to actually being able to have an endless system. It would be ambitious, but I just know how much people would love to have stuff like...

- Deterioration of buildings, fences, etc. over the course of years
- Higher quality materials take longer to deteriorate
- Quality of repairs depends on skills (or optionally to hire someone)
- Children who actually grow older and have personality
- Getting to middle age, kind of the "cycle of life" stuff

All of this makes you feel more connected to what you have, because you know it won't last forever, and if the game keeps going, you'll appreciate things and so on. Even if you can't put it in for your first release, I would gladly pay money for an expansion pack or something, where you can raise kids, and have that cycle of life.

Anyway, I know you're working with limited resources and time and everything, but you seem to be pretty good, and hopefully if you get approved and make money with this you'll be able to do a lot with it. (And I think you can get more ratings and approvals if you go with the kind of ambitious direction I'm talking about.) Good luck!
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
ConcernedApe  [developer] Sep 25, 2012 @ 7:44pm 
Hello! Currently there is an evaluation event after 2 years to determine whether you've earned the title of "Stardew Hero". It's not really that important, though... you get to keep playing as long as you want afterward. I would love to keep adding more and more content with time. It's definitely my plan if SV ends up being a success! I am already moving the game towards an "endless" system (e.g. dynamic personalities/schedules for the townspeople), and it will only become more like that in the future. There are so many possibilities!

Revolver GITAROO Sep 27, 2012 @ 10:16pm 
I agree with Cheeseburger. It would be really great to add-ons and such. I'm keeping my eye on this game. Pretty excited to see something like this in the making! Good luck!
Wobblah Sep 30, 2012 @ 1:57pm 
I toltally agree with Cheeseburger's ideas but I don't think that addons fit this game really, I would rather pay some more for the original game but then comes the question would people give the game the same chance then. It's something to think about though.
Pocketknife Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:17pm 
I am excited for this. I hope you give more thought to co-op right off the bat. I would love to see 4 player coop on a shared screen. There are so few couch co-op games for steam, and this is the kind of game people could play with kids too. This could be really popular, especially with people who are partial to harvest moon.
James009 Oct 1, 2012 @ 9:37pm 
Agreed with what everyone is saying. I think the best way to be successful in designing these sort of games (outside of good marketing and budgets) is to offer a simple concept that allows players to have control and customization. Not limiting us to two years is great, dynamic personalities keeps re-playability high, and endless systems offer great options.

It'd be cool to age and have sort of "legacy" style game options (where you control your kid) but I doubt that'd be availible. I think if you have an overabundance of content where we can keep discovering new things with each playthrough, that'd be enough. IMHO, the best way to do this is through some dynamic stuff or templated random events. Anyways, I'm just rambling now.

If this truely is anything like Harvest Moon then WIN. Hope you get rich, Apeman.
Gfye_ Oct 2, 2012 @ 7:23am 
100% onboard, cant wait to see more of Stardew Valley, you have a lot of loving and passionate fans excited for its release somewhere on the internet ! :D
Dizzard Oct 4, 2012 @ 12:02pm 
I think it would be interesting if there were campaigns or future timelines were you could play as different characters. Like playing as your son/daughter and they're either trying to live up to your high standards (if you became "Stardew Hero") or if you failed to get the title they have to prove your families worth.

So the game does go on forever, but the control shifts over time. So it's a generational/family tree thing. Although that would mean other npcs would have to age and die too....seems pretty awkward. It would probably be a better idea to just stick with the characters you have and keep adding to their stories instead.

As for co-op.....actually I like the idea of being able to link up your farm with three other farms and you could trade produce, livestock and compete against them in contests. (maybe you could even compete to woo the love of an npc) So you have the town somewhere in the middle and then leading off into four different directions where the farms of four different players. So that way you could either help each other with harvesting or have a rivalry. (like in one of the harvest moon games I believe there were two towns/farms that were rivals)

I'm rambling a bit now though.
Giant Cheeseburger Oct 4, 2012 @ 1:36pm 
Why does everyone need multiplayer? Games like this are perfect for long solo play. Right away you introduce an economy, which means supply and demand, etc, etc. It's just not good.

As for people dying or leaving, you could create "goodbye" events in which people say farewell to somebody leaving the town, or even a funeral thing if somebody is getting old who dies. It doesn't need to just be awkward, it can be a meaningful event. Adding new random NPCs and replacing those who leave, sounds cool to me. I bet there are programmers in this community would actually love to help with adding different NPC types, and so on.
evolution.400 Oct 28, 2012 @ 9:06pm 
There's no need for multiplayer, but I think it would be interesting to see how it would work out for Stardew.
scribblykakuloo Oct 30, 2012 @ 8:36am 
I think a ongoing 'no ending' game would be cool if new characters kept getting injected into the game. Maybe even other users creating characters and sending them out to be used. =D
SabotageTheFool Dec 26, 2012 @ 6:32pm 
What about having opposing farms each who think that they can be the legendary farmer and after you win the main part, you can still compete with them to have the better farm in different aspects month to month, year to year. Opens for nice rival banter in encounters ^_^
Benguin Jan 3, 2013 @ 11:09pm 
I think it'd be awesome to play with a buddy :3

It'd defintely make it easier to water a giant field of crops, heheh. Only thing is, where does player 2 live? Can player 2 get a spouse too? What if player 2 has an affair with my spouse? HOW DARE HE! And this is why we need PvP in the game. Otherwise everyone will be sleeping with everyone elses husband or wife.
R3D24 Jan 5, 2013 @ 7:37pm 
I personaly think that there should be multiplayer kind of like in Farming Simulator 2013 but you have the option to run your own farm, or work on another playes. Ohh and something i would LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE to see is being able to buy more land for your farm. PS: I really want this game 0.O
Benguin Jan 6, 2013 @ 12:26am 
Question is, how big is the world? In the Harvest Moon games I played they were pretty small, though you _could_ farm on plots of land outside your farm.. It'd be nice to have way bigger worlds, given that we have an easy way to get places, perhaps via an NPC who will take you there? Perhaps at the expense of time and money..
[A]JumP[S] Feb 13, 2013 @ 6:17am 
Didn't real all the comment but I really like what OP said, and the thing about legacy system. I would love if it something like that you get old and at some point you can chose to end with you dead close the story or move to play you child for endless world (but then the whole town somehow need to able to have this find marriage and breed all the time).
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50