This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Stardew Valley
DarkWolffe Jul 15, 2013 @ 7:25pm
Servers, LAN, and Co-Op?
How does the networking function in this game?
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Avatar of Shibby Aug 10, 2013 @ 6:45am 
I would also like to know if running a server would be possible. The thought of leaving a server up so me and my friends could come and go as we please intrests me.
DarkWolffe Aug 10, 2013 @ 12:28pm 
Originally posted by Avatar of Shibby:
I would also like to know if running a server would be possible. The thought of leaving a server up so me and my friends could come and go as we please intrests me.
That was my intent.
Chief Aug 11, 2013 @ 1:00pm 
Just wanted to stop by and post some of ConcernedApe's answers to some interview questions pertaining to this subject. Hope it helps.

--------------------

Indie Game HQ:

http://indiegamehq.com/stardew-valley-interview-country-life-rpg/

Indie Game HQ: When you say 4 player co-op, will this be local, LAN, or online?

Eric: 4 player Co-op will work online and on your LAN. I’m still not sure exactly how the mechanics will work, but I’m thinking of having every single player game act as a potential “server”… so, if you allow it, your friends could pop in at any time, or even make a home on your farm and stay permanently. Otherwise, Co-op should play almost exactly like single player.

--------------------

Cheerful Ghost:

http://cheerfulghost.com/jdodson/posts/1005

WhiteboySlim: As far as the co-op goes, can you provide some more details about how that will be handled? Will co-op work over a LAN or will it be internet only? Will the other players just be dropped into your town as visitors or will you all exist within the same town?

Eric Barone: Co-op will work on both internet and LAN. What I'm planning is that any farm you create could work as a potential "server"... so there will be some way of setting your farm as "open", and then your friends can stop in and play with you. Friends could even set up a permanent home in your valley. So it's kind of up to the you and the people you play with as to how closely you want to play together--as a full co-op, or as separate valleys with visits to each other.
DarkWolffe Aug 11, 2013 @ 5:21pm 
Originally posted by Chief:
Just wanted to stop by and post some of ConcernedApe's answers to some interview questions pertaining to this subject. Hope it helps.

--------------------

Indie Game HQ:

http://indiegamehq.com/stardew-valley-interview-country-life-rpg/

Indie Game HQ: When you say 4 player co-op, will this be local, LAN, or online?

Eric: 4 player Co-op will work online and on your LAN. I’m still not sure exactly how the mechanics will work, but I’m thinking of having every single player game act as a potential “server”… so, if you allow it, your friends could pop in at any time, or even make a home on your farm and stay permanently. Otherwise, Co-op should play almost exactly like single player.

--------------------

Cheerful Ghost:

http://cheerfulghost.com/jdodson/posts/1005

WhiteboySlim: As far as the co-op goes, can you provide some more details about how that will be handled? Will co-op work over a LAN or will it be internet only? Will the other players just be dropped into your town as visitors or will you all exist within the same town?

Eric Barone: Co-op will work on both internet and LAN. What I'm planning is that any farm you create could work as a potential "server"... so there will be some way of setting your farm as "open", and then your friends can stop in and play with you. Friends could even set up a permanent home in your valley. So it's kind of up to the you and the people you play with as to how closely you want to play together--as a full co-op, or as separate valleys with visits to each other.

Awesome! Thank you for this insight.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 15 30 50