This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Stardew Valley
DarkWolffe Jul 15, 2013 @ 7:25pm
Servers, LAN, and Co-Op?
How does the networking function in this game?
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
Avatar of Shibby Aug 10, 2013 @ 6:45am 
I would also like to know if running a server would be possible. The thought of leaving a server up so me and my friends could come and go as we please intrests me.
DarkWolffe Aug 10, 2013 @ 12:28pm 
Originally posted by Avatar of Shibby:
I would also like to know if running a server would be possible. The thought of leaving a server up so me and my friends could come and go as we please intrests me.
That was my intent.
Chief Aug 11, 2013 @ 1:00pm 
Just wanted to stop by and post some of ConcernedApe's answers to some interview questions pertaining to this subject. Hope it helps.

--------------------

Indie Game HQ:

http://indiegamehq.com/stardew-valley-interview-country-life-rpg/

Indie Game HQ: When you say 4 player co-op, will this be local, LAN, or online?

Eric: 4 player Co-op will work online and on your LAN. I’m still not sure exactly how the mechanics will work, but I’m thinking of having every single player game act as a potential “server”… so, if you allow it, your friends could pop in at any time, or even make a home on your farm and stay permanently. Otherwise, Co-op should play almost exactly like single player.

--------------------

Cheerful Ghost:

http://cheerfulghost.com/jdodson/posts/1005

WhiteboySlim: As far as the co-op goes, can you provide some more details about how that will be handled? Will co-op work over a LAN or will it be internet only? Will the other players just be dropped into your town as visitors or will you all exist within the same town?

Eric Barone: Co-op will work on both internet and LAN. What I'm planning is that any farm you create could work as a potential "server"... so there will be some way of setting your farm as "open", and then your friends can stop in and play with you. Friends could even set up a permanent home in your valley. So it's kind of up to the you and the people you play with as to how closely you want to play together--as a full co-op, or as separate valleys with visits to each other.
DarkWolffe Aug 11, 2013 @ 5:21pm 
Originally posted by Chief:
Just wanted to stop by and post some of ConcernedApe's answers to some interview questions pertaining to this subject. Hope it helps.

--------------------

Indie Game HQ:

http://indiegamehq.com/stardew-valley-interview-country-life-rpg/

Indie Game HQ: When you say 4 player co-op, will this be local, LAN, or online?

Eric: 4 player Co-op will work online and on your LAN. I’m still not sure exactly how the mechanics will work, but I’m thinking of having every single player game act as a potential “server”… so, if you allow it, your friends could pop in at any time, or even make a home on your farm and stay permanently. Otherwise, Co-op should play almost exactly like single player.

--------------------

Cheerful Ghost:

http://cheerfulghost.com/jdodson/posts/1005

WhiteboySlim: As far as the co-op goes, can you provide some more details about how that will be handled? Will co-op work over a LAN or will it be internet only? Will the other players just be dropped into your town as visitors or will you all exist within the same town?

Eric Barone: Co-op will work on both internet and LAN. What I'm planning is that any farm you create could work as a potential "server"... so there will be some way of setting your farm as "open", and then your friends can stop in and play with you. Friends could even set up a permanent home in your valley. So it's kind of up to the you and the people you play with as to how closely you want to play together--as a full co-op, or as separate valleys with visits to each other.

Awesome! Thank you for this insight.
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50