This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

TRIP
The King Jan 20, 2014 @ 1:28pm
To the Delevoper
I have a question to the delevoper, or even maybe a request. I really like art games and this is hard to say because I've never actually played the game but just by watching videos of it, it seems like it may be easier to lose interest in this game than it is with other art games, like LSD Dream Emulator or Proteus or Dear Ester. For example in Proteus, there are also special events or seqeunces that happen to keep things interesting and to peak your curiousity. In LDS Dream Emulator, every single thing you touch changes the world around you. And in my opinion, that's what I feel is lacking from Trip. I wish for more reaction from the world. In Proteus, audio cues seemed to work when coming into contact with something, but this is not Proteus. This is a different game, whose focus is not on music and sounds, and I think the experiance of Trip would be much more amazing if the creatures interacted with you to some extent, instead of just audio cues. I know one thing I was thinking- in the industrial mechnical part of the game, that tall creature at the end of the hall you have to walk under, I imagined it's arms quickly striking down at the character as if to hurt it or stop it from passing and then once you take the item past him, he freaks out. It doesn't have to hurt or kill you, but it would entice a feeling of fear and surprise. And ultimately, when you have an art game, it's all about the experiance and the emotions the player is feeling. You WANT that player to feel as many emotions as possible when playing that kind of game.

I also wish there was an objective, and I have to ask . . . why isn't there? Even in Proteus it feels like the game is guiding you towards something. But there doesn't have to be an objective. Let me rephrase that. I'm wishing for something to do other than explore. I love exploration, don't get me wrong, but if a goal was added, the hours of enjoyment to have in this game would doubled. Even exploring a beautiful world will eventually grow tiring but if a goal to work towards is added, then the player has something more specific to do. This is just my suggestion, but I thought it would be really cute if each creature needed help, and you were to help them. For example, the creature hunched over the river holding a cube. Perhaps he drops the cube in the water. It floats away in the river. Said creature regrets it and wants it back, and you, the character, has to search the river for the cube and bring it back to him. Maybe you're rewarded with an item that another character seeks (Although it should by no means be a guessing game which character needs which item. There could be a symbol above their head.) I would really enjoy it if each character had their own personality. It would make you feel . . . closer to them, closer to the world, and if you had the ability to help the native creatures, it would feel as if the world has something more significant to offer you because as is, just wandering around, it doesn't seem like you're apart of anything.

Anyway, those are my suggestions for the game- interactions and little quests, or at least a personal way to react with the characters. Please, do let me know what you think of my ideas.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
xenon  [developer] Feb 21, 2014 @ 10:39pm 
Are you the developer of Proteus?
xenon  [developer] Feb 21, 2014 @ 10:48pm 
And to answer the vast majority of your questions, I'm not a programmer. Furthermore, the obsession with an end-goal or an objective is narrow-scoped and detrimental to the art-game movement. You don't walk up to a sculpture and demand interaction. If you can't wrap your head around it or if the concept bores you, this game is not for you.
Death_Adder May 2, 2014 @ 5:59pm 
I feel the need to comment on this because I don't believe this is a game. I believe it is a virtual first person experience within an open world display of great visuals/effects/sounds. This is very much art but not a game.

I like what you and your friends have created. I believe what the virtual art visual community must do is branch out of the "game" name and create a whole new genre with it's own name. This could start with you. I hope this doesn't end here with Trip.
The King Jul 3, 2014 @ 4:10pm 
Originally posted by Xenon:
And to answer the vast majority of your questions, I'm not a programmer. Furthermore, the obsession with an end-goal or an objective is narrow-scoped and detrimental to the art-game movement. You don't walk up to a sculpture and demand interaction. If you can't wrap your head around it or if the concept bores you, this game is not for you.

Wow . . . . I can't believe how rude you are. I politely gave suggestions that would have made your game appeal to a larger audience, and you come back being a jerk? Usually developers are very thrilled and grateful for constructive criticism. I wasn't trying to insult your game or your vision or anything. I was trying to be helpful, to help you get your game on Steam. Your game needs to appeal to a great many people if it's to get accepted onto Steam, and it's been a long time and so far hasn't yet, so adding new things would have helped. If you want a lot of people to pay for your game, and if you want a lot of people to have an interest to play your game and to be excited for it's release, developers need to listen to what the players want in the game. I mean, that's exactly what these forums are for. If you can't accept any kind of feedback whatsoever, I don't think you should be designing games. That is a BIG part of being a developer. If you completly shut yourself out and never listen to the community, no one is going to want to play your games. Don't jump down the throats of your fans who either want to help improve things in your game or request things to be in it that they would be very happy to see. It's not insulting your work in any way, so you need to not take it personally. Constructive criticism is very crucial. It's how people and their projects grow and become better than they are.
Arale//Zero Jul 27, 2014 @ 11:23pm 
I think the developer is just seeing your comments as the opposite of what he's striving for and is kind of backlashing to that.

He could be politer, but he probably isn't going to listen to your criticism cause it's not the kind of game he wants to make.

That said, I think events are definitely an important part of making a good exploration game. An end-goal, perhaps not so much, but if all there is to do is walk around with no interesting points that aren't solely visual, that's a bit of a problem. Doesn't make the game bad, but it could be better.

I don't know too much about the details of TRIP, but let me point out what other exploration games have done.

Yume Nikki - Collectable items, large number of events, some ways to interact with certain parts of the world through items

Dear Esther - Since it's one path, randomized dialogue and other subtle changes

LSD - High levels of randomization

Proteus - Musical response, events, and seasons

What I'm saying is, developer - be creative and find ways to enrich the game without removing from it's points. It's tricky but possible to expand a game with new elements without ruining it's artistic value and prior focus.

I still think TRIP looks like some fun for a bit, tho.
MISSINGNO. Sep 3, 2014 @ 12:57am 
That was "being rude"? I can't wait for some real world things to happen to our sensitive little guy Alix. This does have an objective: load it up and enjoy.
AnimaXX Sep 16, 2014 @ 2:35pm 
i kinda would enjoy this game
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 15 30 50