This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Blockscape
Kaoe Oct 23, 2012 @ 3:49pm
| This is not Minecraft.. READ THIS! |
I just had to make a discussion here, all of you people who think this is a minecraft copy do not understand that minecraft is a voxel sandbox, just like this game. But you know what? That's all. Simply because it is in the same genre does not mean it's the same game. I bet half of you haven't even played this. If you have never played any other sandbox games besides Minecraft and you feel that you even come close to having the knowledge that is required to tell the difference between a minecraft rip-off and a genuine voxel sandbox, you need to wake up pal. There were voxel sandboxes before Minecraft, and there have been and will be more voxel sandboxes after Minecraft. Minecraft doesn't own the genre by itself, get over it. Call of Duty is not the same as Battlefield or TF2, and Blockscape is not the same as Minecraft. Seriously, reality check people!

If you actually have a legitimate response to this, feel free to share it. Otherwise, take your narrow-minded opinions elsewhere.

EDIT: It appears that half of the people posting in this discussion are confused about what exactly a "clone" is. A clone is a game based-off of or simmiar to a game that came before it. Blockscape is a clone, and that's a good thing. I'll use a quote from this discussion to prove my point. "Spawn of Totoro Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:24pm
Think back to Doom. It wasn't the first of it's kind, but it was the most popular. When a new FPS game was released they called it a Doom clone. Same with Diablo, It wasn't the first, but it is what made that genre more mainstream.

Minecraft just opened up a new genre to the masses. A game that was easy to use and fun to play, that very few of them had even heard of this type of game before.

People are just comparing it to what they know, that is all. Let them. It will help this genre prosper and evolve. It is a complement, not an insult.

As more games of this type come out, there will be more variations, bigger differences. Eventually this genre will have it's own COD, Battlefield and TF2. It i a good thing."

Hopefully most of you will see this insight into what a clone really is, not a copy, but the next generation game in that genre.

EDIT: Today I'm adding a section for quotes from people who see it how it is, unbiased people who can see clearly and know the facts of the matter at hand.

| ~ --- QUOTES --- ~ |

Kaoe Nov 6, 2012 @ 6:43pm
Originally posted by LordKekse:
Guys. Since it in the same genre of block building sandboxes doesn't mean it's Minecraft. Think, there is a first for everything. Like when the first touch phone came out, people admired it. When the second one came out, made by a different company, people admired it. They didn't go OMG! THIS IS A COPY OF THE FIRST TOUCH PHONE! I INSTANTLY HATE IT!

Actually the first touch phone was the IBM Simon, in 1992. Ever heard of it?

In that way you could say the iPhone is like minecraft, easy to use and fun, but not the first. anything after that is simply a copy of the iPhone, right? No. Just like anything after Minecraft is not a copy of minecraft.
----------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by hsw2201:
I say it "PROGRESS"
Originally posted by YoMomo:
Yay! The fight is almost finished! I was going to RAGE!
As Kaoe said:CLONE DON'T MEAN COPY!!!!
And even if i'm a big fan of Minecraft, I realy want to try this game.
T.E.N Nov 9, 2012 @ 1:45pm
im glad to see pepole atualy can tell wether a game is a rip off or just a marker of progres mincraft has dominated the block style sandbox genra like cod
Originally posted by Einstein:
I am a ripoff of my dad. Sue me for that. I would love this game to become as successful as minecraft and i hope that its getting as much post-release love as minecraft did.
Originally posted by Racoonieboy:
Some people don't seem to realize that everything is a copy of something else. In order for progress to be made, one needs to improve on something others have made. This game takes Minecraft and improves upon it.
Yes, this is a Minecraft clone. That's not a bad thing, and that's not a valid reason to hate Blockscape. This game will hopefully improve the overall genre, and bashing it solely because it resembles Minecraft is hindering progress.

Originally posted by Shaun:
I'll throw in my own two pence and say that I'm totally against the money grabbing "clones" that are mostly found on Xbox but this really grabbed my attension and whilst it's still in early development I can see myself and a friend buying this to build really nice things and explore what is to come.
I won't go as far out to say this game is better but this looks like to be a true gem and has the potential to be the next great game of the genre. The guy who makes this game is immensly dedicated to this and I can only immagine just like Notch that this has been a dreaming becoming true. This game has a demo whils it's not perfect atm it will give you a sense of what's to come so people out their to jump to conclusions that this is a clone then don't without giving this a look at otherwise you're pulling arguments out of nowhere.

The reasons why some people believe that this game is a copy/clone is because it has simular graphical style to minecraft and admitterly looks abit like minecraft at first glance. another reason they decide this is a fake/clone or copy is because they're scared that by a game such as this becoming great could hamper their gaming joy of minecraft and some people are really 'proud' of Notch and Mojang that any threat to minecraft's sales and numbers they will be ready to sacrifice almost anything in order to try and bring the new potentinal game along with it's developer down to the ground thus keeping minecraft at the top of the food chain.

THe reasons why most people want this game to be produced are for many reasons some too long that I can't write it all down so firstly people like change and inovation to revolutionise a certain genere of games. another reason is that people are really REALLY bored of minecraft and its countless odd/weird mods to 'improve' minecraft so people want something that doesnt need mods to keep the game alive and allow them to forfil and creativity they have in their head and apply them in a world they are confortable in and getting the sense of acomplishment. All my friends who play minecraft and have not migrated from the xbox completly agree that some games like this deserve a look at and respect for the developers because of all the the hard work they put into their projects and having to do it while noisy people want to bring them down.

In My opinion although this is currently a game i can't really play since it's still very unfinished I still really admire this game and will keep my eye out on it too see how this project turns out. It seems that PC gaming has been a curse to it's own success by allowing freshly ripe xbox loud mouth no logic kids to jump on the band wagon and ruin alot of servers and games with their wasted breath. yes that sounds grim but they will be loads who will agree with me. remember guys if you want to make opinion don't shout out lines and paragraphs as if they're facts because they're not instead make some points for both sides of this debate whilst adapting your point of view to fit in with current discussions and at the end give your personal opinion.

P.S past 3am took me ages to write this damn post :3
Originally posted by PeanutCarl:
Well, you just said it, MODS, not the original game out of the box (vanilla), so why not play all the things you can do with mods, that are often buggy or glitching, when you can play them out of the box in BlockScape, and anyway, there are way more ways of building in BlockScape, more shapes, higher resolution, full HD etc. Don't mind me, I like Minecraft too, I also like Blockland, which is way older than Minecraft and even that people call Blockland an MC copy (I lol'd when a guy said that) so there is no really reason to call EVERY voxel game a Minecraft copy, Notch himself specifies that he got ideas from Infiminer, so why not blame MC for using Infiminer's idea? Yeah, you won't, because they are TWO different games, such as Blockland, Blockscape, and many other voxel games.
Originally posted by Overseer:
Originally posted by Rabble Rouser:
But it really is the same thing. There's nothing about Blockscape that isn't just a more complicated version of Minecraft save for the tower defense mode. Hell, with a couple of mods, you could probably get all of Blockscape's features into Minecraft anyway.

Please note that Blockscape is in Phase 1 alpha. Minecraft is finished. Survival in Blockscape doesn't release until the end of this year. We have no idea what is to come, but if you follow Jen's vlogs (the creator of Blockscape), you'll see that he has BIG plans, such as being able to mix and match materials to make tools, rather than have set tools such as Minecraft's wood, stone, iron, etc. Don't judge based on an alpha.
Originally posted by Ferco:
"Minecraft is a sandbox construction game, inspired by Infiniminer, Dwarf Fortress and Dungeon Keeper," Minecraft Wiki.

Blockscape was inspired by Minecraft, Lego, Far Cry and Sim City according to:
Interview with developer Jens Blomquist [indiegamehq.com]

There are many games inspired by others and in the same categories. For example Quake inspired many first person shooters that we have today.

Markus Persson aka Notch tweeted "Wow, blockscape is starting to look pretty neat!! http://www.blockscape.com/ " therefore Minecraft approves of Blockscape :)
Originally posted by Icynova65:
Ok, so what if it's a clone? Aren't all cars clones of the first car? I'm pretty sure we still drive those, and they get better and better every year. Some car's are better than others, and some we stick with because they're familiar to us, games are no different. This game may be similar to Minecraft but it is not Minecraft, watching the video's clearly proves that just from the graphics alone. If that wasn't enough to show that this game stands out from Minecraft the building mechanics should be. Smoothing of edged surfaces, adding slopes, not to mention spherical holes, each and everyone of these things took great time and detail to craft. Sure you might be able to slap some Mods onto Minecraft but it will never be as good looking and as smooth as Blockscape. There are still many things I'd liked to see added but as far as it goes this is a great looking game and I'm really looking forward to playing it one day. The only problem I have with it is the name, it's not bad but it's not great. Other than that keep up the great work!
Last edited by Kaoe; Sep 26, 2013 @ 9:20pm
Showing 1-15 of 376 comments
< >
Austragus Oct 23, 2012 @ 3:51pm 
Love you you spelled Blockscape wrong.
Kaoe Oct 23, 2012 @ 3:56pm 
Originally posted by Austragus:
Love you you spelled Blockscape wrong.
Love the productivity that you bring to this discussion.
STROHh 80 Oct 23, 2012 @ 5:07pm 
why even bother?
Crumblus Crisp Oct 23, 2012 @ 5:39pm 
But it really is the same thing. There's nothing about Blockscape that isn't just a more complicated version of Minecraft save for the tower defense mode. Hell, with a couple of mods, you could probably get all of Blockscape's features into Minecraft anyway.
fascinate\syroj ☆ Oct 23, 2012 @ 6:52pm 
@Rabble Rouser: not really, but you should know that this is the basic game!
Kaoe Oct 23, 2012 @ 7:03pm 
Originally posted by Rabble Rouser:

Yes and I'm sure you could also mod minecraft to be just like TF2, so what?
Kaoe Oct 23, 2012 @ 7:07pm 
Originally posted by STROHh 80:
why even bother?

It works sometimes. Some people are actually capable of seeing logical reasoning and changing their opinion believe it or not.
Munchin' Tacos Oct 23, 2012 @ 9:20pm 
took the words right out of my mouth
Atomicow Oct 23, 2012 @ 11:29pm 
Minecraft isn't even a voxel renderer. It's just blocky 3D.
Liquid {newb} Oct 24, 2012 @ 12:41am 
And just because it is similar doesn't mean you shouldnt play it. Thats like saying, "Yep, just beat zelda. Now I dont have to play any other RPG ever."
fieryhellreaper Oct 24, 2012 @ 7:02am 
i like the idea of this game. i played a demo of it on 360. all i want to know is do u actually have a setting where u have to find and create objects, ot do u have unlimmited supplies like the demo
Last edited by fieryhellreaper; Oct 24, 2012 @ 7:03am
IcyBones Oct 24, 2012 @ 8:42am 
I think this game looks great. Minecraft was fun, trust me I read Notch's tumblr every day for over a year. I started playing MC in VERY early alpha. Although I agree with OP here. This is a game that is similar to minecraft but that doesnt make it a rip off. Its simply based on the same genre minecraft falls into. Anyone that loves minecraft should at least watch some gameplay videos of this game once it goes into beta with working survival mode. Who knows, maybe this game can be much more than minecraft.

Good luck Dev's your gonna need it. I look forward to buying/ reviewing/ livestreaming and playing this game when you release it to the sharks.
The Majestic Snoopzilla Oct 24, 2012 @ 4:01pm 
Originally posted by Atomicow:
Minecraft isn't even a voxel renderer. It's just blocky 3D.
not to mention alot of ligthing affects that people think are caused by 3d light in the world is just 2d and not dynamic
The Majestic Snoopzilla Oct 24, 2012 @ 4:08pm 
Originally posted by GHAST JezzDawga:
Wow, you guys really hate Minecraft...
I would just like to say a few things:
1: Could you make something better, you stuck-up ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ (That only goes to the people who are currently slandering Minecraft)? And would you develop it 24-7-355/356 if about 50 out of 1 million people wanted updates and if not would slander it everywhere? Give them a freaking break, they deserve to soak up the fame and relax.

2: BlockScape, what a pathetic name. It's like somebody used a thesaurus and just got through the legal rights.

3: OK, they're the same genre, but come on! There are probably hundreds of similarities and stolen stuff. I bet you, one day they will include an enemy that explodes and makes no noise unless attacking or being attacked too.

4: Oooooh, it's got slopes! Big freaking deal. You probably just modified and stole stairs, just like everything else.
I really don't know why this was greenlit.

1: are you suggesting that minecraft has a super original name???
2: no devs dont take 3 month long breaks simply because they want to. any great dev team is actively patching their game instead of releasing "snapshots" to tease everyone about what they will get in 2 months.
3:"you probably just modified and stole stairs just like everything else" give proof of your ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ remark, and play the game. this guy has been working on this game for a lot longer than you think and the game overall has a much more complex engine. but your tiny little mind cant handle thinking like that
4: asshats like you are the reason this post was created. To make everyone get over their ♥♥♥♥ing backing for minecraft. ♥♥♥♥ing people play the game and think they know everything, think they know when something is a "fake" or "copy" when they have no idea of the work behind it that truely differentiates the games. Just because you are 6 and played minecraft doesnt give you authority to come in here and just ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ your way around.
Spawn of Totoro Oct 24, 2012 @ 8:24pm 
Think back to Doom. It wasn't the first of it's kind, but it was the most popular. When a new FPS game was released they called it a Doom clone. Same with Diablo, It wasn't the first, but it is what made that genre more mainstream.

Minecraft just opened up a new genre to the masses. A game that was easy to use and fun to play, that very few of them had even heard of this type of game before.

People are just comparing it to what they know, that is all. Let them. It will help this genre prosper and evolve. It is a complement, not an insult.

As more games of this type come out, there will be more variations, bigger differences. Eventually this genre will have it's own COD, Battlefield and TF2. It i a good thing.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Oct 24, 2012 @ 8:28pm
Showing 1-15 of 376 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50