This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Blockscape
Unusual Core Jan 6, 2013 @ 1:21am
Why can't we have more than 1 voxel-like game?
Why can't we have another voxel-based game other than minecraft? Seriously- Its like saying we shouldn't have Black Mesa because they cloned Half-Life... and that is a great mod and I enjoyed it very much! Back to the subject though, The reason we can't have "Minecraft Clones" doesn't seem aparent to me. To end this discription I will reask the question: Why can't we have another voxel-based game other than Minecraft?
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Vin the Magnificent Jan 7, 2013 @ 2:11pm 
If you look at greenlight games such as, say, blockscape, starforge, yogventures, and others that i can't name off of the top of my head, there are many more voxel games.
Vin the Magnificent Jan 7, 2013 @ 2:12pm 
I understand the discussion, though. Another way to put it would be this,

People who call this a minecraft clone, why is it a minecraft clone/why can't it be put on steam?

I assume that this is what you mean
Unusual Core Jan 8, 2013 @ 12:10am 
Originally posted by gavinman97:
I understand the discussion, though. Another way to put it would be this,

People who call this a minecraft clone, why is it a minecraft clone/why can't it be put on steam?

I assume that this is what you mean

Thats what I exactly what I ment, thanks for clearing it up!
SpookieDookie Jan 8, 2013 @ 5:34pm 
Because the people who play all of the different halo, modern warefare, CoD, CS, mass effect, battlefield etc... titles think that every game is unique in every way, and in so way similar to any others. This is why, unless they see a new weapon skin list, they call something a remake.
The Majestic Walrus Jan 9, 2013 @ 7:22pm 
Hear me out guys. This is A LOT like minecraft just look at it, I understand why people think it's a copy. Terraria was thought to be a rip off but look at it, the only thing's in common was the mining and survival but the thing about terraria is it's a whole different shabam than minecraft but right now blockscape is pretty much minecraft with slopes and higher resolution. I get that it's trying to be different but it's failed. P.S. Minecraft isn't a voxel based game it's polygon based (not trying to be a jerk)
Vandrick Jan 18, 2013 @ 6:26am 
For the same reason there can't be more than 1 Mexican restaurant...Oh WAIT! See what I did there? The whole logic of "don't want more than 1 awesome thing" completely boggles my mind. I'll take 5 Minecrafts please, each one offering a few different features. In fact, what confuses me is why anyone would wish there NOT to be more of something awesome. Does it really hurt them? Does more Minecraft games mean Minecraft all the sudden sucks and suffers a horrible death? Nope.

Originally posted by GMG Eddiebird:
Terraria was thought to be a rip off but look at it, the only thing's in common was the mining and survival but the thing about terraria is it's a whole different shabam than minecraft but right now blockscape is pretty much minecraft with slopes and higher resolution. I get that it's trying to be different but it's failed.

It IS different. Right now the only difference in Blockscape and Minecraft might be that Blockscape has infinitely better building options with block sizes and slopes, and better resolution. And, well, Blockscape could clone everything after that and it'd STILL be a big enough difference where I'd much rather play it than Minecraft. More control over building is plenty enough for a lot of people to warrant another game like Minecraft.

Either way, wishing against another something like Minecraft is kind of like wishing your little brother not to get a bowl of ice cream because you already have one. Doesn't take away from your ice cream or hurt you at all.

PS: I agree 100% with you about Terraria. Can't WAIT for Starbound to come out!
Among the Marked.j2 Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:32pm 
This is making me think one other major thing: if any game that is considered a "clone" were to be removed(such as this), that would make Minecraft a sort of monopoly, which in business is illegal, and thus wrong. In all legal ways the people arguing that this should be removed aren't gonna win anyway.
Note: sorta tired, so this may not sound quite realistic in hindsight when I return to this
Hotblack Desiato Feb 15, 2013 @ 7:42pm 
Unless this game has you mining for resources to build, and using those resources to make tools for further mining, and enchanting tables, and well you get the idea, if it doesn't have at least *some* of those things then it's not a "clone". Simply being a voxel game doesn't make it a clone. If you play a character with four slots for armor on his/her head, chest, legs and feet, then it might be a clone. If monsters come out at night, then it might be a clone. If you can farm animals and crops and enchant your tools and armor then it's definitely a clone. But again simply being a voxel-builder doesn't make it a copy or clone or ripoff of Minecraft.
Cruz Apr 22, 2013 @ 12:43pm 
when you go out to a shopping some cloth we see not hundreads but thousands of stores with different cloth, if you want some food you have thousands of different choices, if you want some fun, there's thousands of ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s, whatever you want there's a lot of choices and that's the best part of diversity, what's the fuc*ing problem of a game equal or similiar to minecraft ? If you don't like , dont play it, dont buy ignore it, if you are a notch fanboy than go f**k your self, the more similiar products the better, more we have to choose. I believe this Blockscape will be a lot more fun with a lot better features than minecraft or any other that i dont know it. I will probabily buy this one and stop playing minecraft until something that I like show up.
Mystchyphe Apr 25, 2013 @ 4:37am 
Because people are hanging from Notch's nuts. Quite frankly, i played MC from Alpha for years... And i'm playing BS now instead. Why? Cause, unlike MC, it (and it's creator) rock. Simple.
Cliviax Xheonov Mar 13 @ 5:46pm 
Originally posted by The Majestic Walrus:
Hear me out guys. This is A LOT like minecraft just look at it, I understand why people think it's a copy. Terraria was thought to be a rip off but look at it, the only thing's in common was the mining and survival but the thing about terraria is it's a whole different shabam than minecraft but right now blockscape is pretty much minecraft with slopes and higher resolution. I get that it's trying to be different but it's failed. P.S. Minecraft isn't a voxel based game it's polygon based (not trying to be a jerk)

@TheMajesticWalrus: You still failed to explain why it should not be on steam... Your dodging the question from the original post. He asked specifically why it should not be aloud on steam and instead you go off on tangent with a decent example but it does not connect because it is a weak arguement all together. Sorry lad, try harder.
PrincessGoddammit 4 hours ago 
Well, minecraft was an innovative thing for the time. Like Doom. Probably why they called any fps after that a "Doom-like". To me, and I have only played this game a few hours, likewise Minecraft, I think the only real comparison is that you can terraform and build things. Minecraft itself was a derivative of other games. Notch just did it better (some would say...) Remember, Macintosh was running "Windows" a long time before MS stole the idea but when you mention "Windows", who do you think of ?
As for wether or not this game should be on Steam.....well, right now I think it is a beautiful, sprawling, frustrating mess. Please shine it up a bit more before you release it on Steam, else I think the bad reviews will kill it. I personally want to see it succeed. I think it has a lot of potential. At least add a usable multiplayer capability, fix some of the graphical ♥♥♥♥ery and the greasy aiming system before you do. So far, Planet Explorers, Starforge Alpha, and probably a couple of others are on Steam and are VERY similar games to this one and much further along in terms of playability.So in that sense, this game imho, is still needing a little more time in the nest before flying off. I DO want to see it on Steam but not in the current state. Whew, that was long-winded, sorry, but I had a lot to say and your discussion was interesting so I hope you do not mind me adding my one or two bits worth.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50