This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Cloudbuilt
Coilworks  [developer] Sep 21, 2012 @ 1:21pm
Developer Q&A:
Is there anything about the game or the development that you would like to know? Ask away!

Please keep it relevant to us or the game, or we'll have to remove it to keep the thread easy-to-read.

A tip to anyone who wants to stay up to date on the discussion; Subscribe to this discussion through the button on the right here and you will receive a message every time something happens.
Last edited by Coilworks; Sep 22, 2012 @ 12:31pm
Showing 1-15 of 55 comments
< >
Indigo Ronin Sep 21, 2012 @ 2:22pm 
How story driven is the game, the intriguing gameplay style alone is enough to draw me in, but just curious as to how its plot relates or effects the game at large?
Coilworks  [developer] Sep 22, 2012 @ 12:27pm 
Originally posted by nate878:
How story driven is the game, the intriguing gameplay style alone is enough to draw me in, but just curious as to how its plot relates or effects the game at large?
Between the levels you are transported back to a hospital, where you can take part of the story. During the levels, the game will solely be focused on gameplay. Depending on what levels you clear and some other criterias, you will unlock different parts of the story.

You can always skip the hospital sections and just continue on with the levels. Even though it is skippable, the story does give a sense of theme to what is really happening in the game.
Gussver Sep 27, 2012 @ 11:41am 
How far along is the development? When can we expect it to be released? Will the game involve combat? Bosses?
Coilworks  [developer] Sep 29, 2012 @ 2:31am 
We are currently in a late alpha state where almost all of the games functionality is implemented. We can't really give release dates with any certainty until we've been Greenlit, as we want some Steam-features into the game.

There is a lot of combat in the game, and we have mixed it with the platforming. We try to have the action and platforming complement each other for a deeper and richer experience.

We will probably not have any boss battles at release, but if people are interested, we would be more than happy to look into it post-release. Boss battles are something we are all very interested in, but we will have to prioritize. We try to make the best game as possible with our current time frame.
Coilworks  [developer] Oct 7, 2012 @ 4:25pm 
We have been going through the comments looking for things that might be interesting to bring over to the QnA discussion. We will continue to add interesting information from the comments to this discussion. So recommend everyone that's interested in this type of information, to subscribe to this thread to get a notice when it's updated.

Originally posted by edo:
Liking it. Hoping for more gameplay videos. Also the protagonist's head is a bit too big even if it's intentional...

A: Thanks! We’re working on finishing up some stuff and hope to show more soon! Stay tuned!

It’s understandable that the size of the head can be perceived as a bit bigger than it actually is due to some camera work, but that have since then been tweaked.

Originally posted by Meteor:
Would there be chance of Steam Achievements? …

A: We will look into it as soon as we have a deal with Steam, but yeah, there is a chance ;)

Originally posted by (M3) Maximum White Hatting:
The artstyle looks like it might mess with my depth preception, in truth, the first screenshot looks like it might be hard to distinguish things. However, I would give it a go.

A: We have been doing a bunch of play testing already, but depth perception has never been a problems our play testers have addressed so far. Hopefully having the actual game in front of you will change your mind. But it is of course something we will test and pay a lot of attention to get right!

Originally posted by Seeric:
I would say that the camera seems to be a too too zoomed-in though and not necessarily at the best of angles; the current perspective looks like it works well for increasing the sense of speed when everything is going right, but I can also see it being responsble for players crasing into walls or, worse, outright stopping to try to look around at where they're supposed to go next and in either case utterly killing the momentum.

A: The camera it is absolutely something we are looking at during testing. We are pretty happy with the feeling of the camera as it is now, as people have pointed out it adds to the sense of speed. So we want to keep the feeling but improve it in many ways, like making sure that you have enough space to aim when running on walls. There are several tweaks we are experimenting with to get everything as good as possible.

Originally posted by [WBW:
Commissar Fuklaw]
Looks great! You need to add sidestep and a few more directional animations, but you've definitely got my vote.

A: We want to assure you that the animations in the video are only a rough draft, and it is far from final. We have been spending a lot more time on them since then (every single animation you see here is replaced). We are looking forward to showing you the improvements!

Originally posted by jatonsnsjtmaoent:
Not really sure how one would know what the goal is... and I'm not sure whether things are actually playable in the current state in any great amount of fun.

A: Goals and checkpoints on each level are clearly visualized through colored pillars of light throughout the level. Although, if you were to get lost, there is nothing stopping you from taking a moment to get your bearings. We are constantly testing readability of the levels and we are pretty satisfied with the results so far.

Concerning if things it is actually playable; yes it is playable and we have been play testing since early summer. We are constantly improving upon everything and hope to show you some more soon.

Originally posted by Chomp:
This was rejected? Honestly shocked.

A: As I’m sure you may know by now, but many games on Greenlight have not been rejected. We did not apply to Steam before Greenlight and have thus never been evaluated by steam as of yet. But we are taking you comment as a compliment! :) Thanks!

Coilworks  [developer] Oct 9, 2012 @ 10:51am 
Originally posted by Vincent Oroscoe:
Comment 1-3: You might clear up some confusion and make more sense if you just put cell-shaded 3D platformer instead of 'Classic 2D action platformer meets modern TPS (Third Person Shooter)', because this looks nothing like a 2D platformer (or anything else 2D) in style or gameplay. I'm also not sure what sort of impact Demi's injury/mental rehabilitation has/will have on gameplay, as the trailer doesn't show any sign of either. Because of that, I'm somewhat confused why those two details were added to the description at all. I'm not saying the game has to be plot-heavy or anything, but if you're going to have the main character of a high-speed platformer be an injured war vet and mentally unstable to boot, well...that probably should show up in gameplay at the very least.

Comment 2-3: That said, I am interested in this game, especially because it's cell-shaded; it gives it a VERY distinct art style, reminiscent to Borderlands 1 and 2 in its uniqueness...and I LOVE those two games for that. From the one song in the trailer, I have to say that too is somewhat reminiscent of the Borderlands series in its' western feel, which I also really like. The gameplay also looks fun, and if it's at all the way you described it (you don't HAVE to be fast if you don't want to), I think it'd be extremely fun to play, as I'm the type that usually likes to explore, though I'm all for trying to speedrun through. The fact everything is unlocked is great as well for it's pick-up-and-play factor.

Comment 3-3: Lastly, if I could give some advice, it'd be to maybe have a trailer showing a bit of backstory to show what Demi's injuries and mental state have to do with the game, and maybe give just enough information about how she got them to get people interested with her story, be a little more descriptive on things, and maybe give a little more info on the game, as the majority of the current game description is the same information repeated more than once. Sorry for the long comment, and hopefully I've been at least a little helpful. You got my vote either way. ^.-.^

No need to apologize for giving us feedback, we are only grateful! :)

I will try to respond to most of the feedback, but some of the things you mention we have recently addressed in our QnA discussion, so please refer to it for more information.

About the “'Classic 2D action platformer meets modern TPS (Third Person Shooter)” description, it is not referring to the style of graphics, rather about the games design, inspiration and mentality in general. We have looked to old retro game like Mario, Mega Man and Sonic for inspiration, and we try to stay true to the spirit of those old games even though our game is in fact a more modern third person game. Hope it makes more sense now?

How the story relates to gameplay is hard to describe with just a few words and without spoilers. To keep it short, the game takes place in her dreams while she tries to cope with her situation. Most things in the game are in some way reflecting her thoughts, and the different themes of the levels represent different ways for here to approach the situation. To avoid spoilers for those who are interested in exploring the story, I don’t want to go in to too much detail.

We try not to force anyone into any specific play style; of course we are working under limited resources, so there will be some limits to how much we can do. We try to add some type of reward for the different ways of approaching the game.

Concerning the trailer; we intended it to more of a teaser trailer. There is a lot of thing we don’t show, and there are thing (like the story) that is only hinted about (the room in the beginning is a hospital room). We will make a new trailer a little bit later on, showing more aspects of the game, including things like enemies, shooting, story and platformning abilities. Hope you are looking forward to it, as we are looking forward to show more as well!
Coilworks  [developer] Nov 10, 2012 @ 2:31pm 
We are glad to hear from everyone and we are reading through all of your comments! It is nice to see that you all seem positive about the game and where we are heading!

We have collected some comments with concerns we would like to address, but if you have any specific questions you would like to have answered, please feel free to write to us here, in the comments, mail, or anywhere!

Originally posted by Psygo:
I will support this but I think you need you character leaning forward while in the air and add a bit of motion blur around the screen to get the feeling of speed. Other than that, looks good.
Thanks, and you can rest assured that what you see in the trailer have changed a lot already. We have been putting a lot of working into adding effects and animations, which among other things will highten the sense of speed. Cloudbuilt is soon in beta phase, and we are looking forward to show you how things have changed, and will continue to change until the game is final.

Originally posted by mass gymnastic display:
It looks great, love the concept! Also, would be amazing if there was Mac support!
Thanks! Right now we are trying to focus our efforts and finish the game for the PC platform, but we always try to listen to our fans. If there is a genuine interest from mac users, we will make sure to investigate a possible mac support in the future, but we can’t sadly promise anything as of now.

Originally posted by Cazral:
Judging by the trailer: Fast and fun and the stages seem well-built. I'm only hoping there'll be some element of competition versus other players, and/or a multiplayer mode. (although I doubt there won't be either)
First off I want to make sure that we are talking about the same thing when you say “element of competition versus other players”. If you are talking about things like competing against other player’s high scores, racing against other players’ ghost data and similar interaction/competition; we will support that. But if you are talking about multiplayer in the sense of playing together with other players in real-time and interacting with each other, we will not do that for now. As this being our first project we want to maintain a focus, and try not to split our attention/resources on both a great single- and multi-player experience at the same time.

That being said, we always try to listen to our fans, and we do have some interesting and unique ideas about how to bring a Cloudbuilt style experience into multiplayer. But we try not to think too much about that for now, and we can’t say anything about ever adding multiplayer to this specific game. We want to, as I said earlier, focus on what is most important for this project right now, and work towards a release.

We hope you will be able to enjoy this single player experience any way, but still stay competitive with your friends and other players.

As a small treat, I can give you a little piece of new information about the high scores ;)

We will support different challenge modes that will greatly change the game experience and how you play the game. Each of the different challenge modes will have its own set of high scores. Some more suitable for the explorer type of players, others for the cautious and tactical players, and also the more high speed action oriented players. Exactly what game modes and how many there will be, is something I will leave for later as that is something we are still working on.

Setz Nov 11, 2012 @ 2:59pm 
This game was one of the earliest ones I upvoted on Greenlight and the probably the one I'm looking forward to most. Good luck with the rest of the project, and I hope the community gets you guys on Steam. I do speedruns in my spare time so this thing is right up my alley.

I'm curious, do you have an idea on the average length of a level, or how long the entire game will be? I'm also wondering if you guys have done any internal speedruns yet.
Coilworks  [developer] Nov 19, 2012 @ 4:22pm 
Originally posted by Setz:
This game was one of the earliest ones I upvoted on Greenlight and the probably the one I'm looking forward to most. Good luck with the rest of the project, and I hope the community gets you guys on Steam. I do speedruns in my spare time so this thing is right up my alley.

I'm curious, do you have an idea on the average length of a level, or how long the entire game will be? I'm also wondering if you guys have done any internal speedruns yet.

Thank you, we are happy to hear that you are looking forward to Cloudbuilt!

It has been a while since we play tested a complete playthrough of the game. Back then when playing for the first time, clearing the story mode would take around 4-8 hours for gamers, even for the seasoned gamers. Even though we still estimate the game length to be about the same, a lot has changed since then so we'll see where it lands after we've had a chance to do more playtesting. Then of course you have things to do beyond the story mode such as beating the challenges and competing for high scores.

Talking about highscores there is a big chunk of that clear time that can be shaved if you know the layout of the levels and have mastered all the moves. I would say a perfect run takes about 1-2 minutes per level, but that's doing it perfectly and using optimal/creative routes, and we constantly find new and better routes, shaving of seconds here and there.

Internal speed runs is something we have been doing a whole lot. When we do it, it's usually on individual levels and not the entire game from start to finish. It's always cool to see when someone has found a creative way to use the level in these runs.
Thand Jan 17, 2013 @ 2:31pm 
Do you plan in adding a map generator for the players to make their own levels?
Coilworks  [developer] Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:20pm 
It is not something that will be available at release, but it would be cool to see what crazy creation the community can come up with. Turning our internal tools into something that others can actually use would be a huge undertaking though. We are planning to take a closer look into just how big a task it would be to do this, but not before the game is released. So we can’t make any promises, for now.
What we can say is that there will be a lot of content and extra challenges to take on in the game at release, and we will definitely look into adding more after that.

From the comment section:
Originally posted by Thand:
It picked my interest, and I upvoted it. I liked the setting, music, art, but it DOES seem that it lacks something, and I cannot point it out. Maybe I would like something more like Prince of Persia, but the ocasional battle here and there would go against the purpose of the game. The way it looks in the video, the game is "just" a "gotta go fast", and this, for me, can be boring with time.

Yeah the teaser trailer only shows the platforming, but there is plenty of action in the game and we are working on creating some new video material for you guys. I agree that arena style battles as those in Prince of Persia would not fit in this game. In Cloudbuilt action and platforming is interwoven. An experienced player can still keep up the speed while taking out enemies and dodging attacks at the same time.
HoneyBadger Jan 26, 2013 @ 4:25am 
Will there be a timer that sets the time for how fast you did each stage?

It would make for some really great youtubing record moments.
Coilworks  [developer] Jan 29, 2013 @ 4:14am 
Yes, your clear time will be shown after you complete each level. We are also looking into high scores and comparing high scores with your friends’ to encourage that competitive spirit.

Looking forward to see what kinds of records the community can set!
Fenrir007 Feb 8, 2013 @ 4:15pm 
I have some quick questions for you guys:

1- Will there be a possibility for community built levels?

2- Regardless of the answer for question 1, do you plan on releasing additional levels (maybe on a time trial basis, without story) through DLC (paid or not)?

3- I know developers hate the "are we there yet" question, but... Did you move past alpha yet? Any idea of when we can pre-order it?

That's it - thanks for the attention!
Coilworks  [developer] Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:26am 
Hi @Fenrir007!

1) You can check out our reply to Thand’s question about player built levels, further up in the QnA discussion.

2) Count on it! :)

3) Actually we are working on getting some new material to show you guys all the progress that’s been made. Game feel and level design are well into beta, while some of the visual stuff is just getting there.
As for pre-orders, we're working on it and will let you know when it becomes available. We are looking forward to getting the game out to you guys, so you can play it!
Showing 1-15 of 55 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50