This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Heroes & Generals
Enzo Oct 20, 2012 @ 12:11pm
Anyones opinon so far?
I would like to know how the beta is going? The concept seems amazing, but I've seen great attempts fall. If anyone is in the beta can they provide some incite to the game?
Last edited by Enzo; Oct 20, 2012 @ 12:11pm
Showing 1-15 of 53 comments
< >
Dondergod Oct 21, 2012 @ 3:39am 
Well, it's hard to say how it will look when it is 'finished' (they will keep patching after release), right now it's awesome. Battles are very intense (went from 12vs12 to 16vs16 3 days ago, it will go up until minimum of 24vs24 but might as well go 32vs32 or bigger) and the generals part is starting to shape up nicely as well. A problem however is that there are still many many bugs as well as parts of the game that aren't implanted yet. I've been playing for months now and it's an amazing game, but if you would get a key tomorrow, you really have to prepare on some big bugs. Compared to 6 months ago however, the game has already come very far!
Enzo Oct 21, 2012 @ 6:48am 
Thanks for answering. How do you feel about the free to play element? Pay to win? Pay per play? Does the game have a constant push for teamwork? Also in your opion what is the best and worst element of the game so far?
Dondergod Oct 21, 2012 @ 7:38am 
so far, everything can be bought with credits, however using real money, you get things instant, that's the only difference. At the moment though, it's hard to earn some good credits, they need to up that a little bit.

about teamplay, a lot of players go solo, but I notice when having 5/16 guys on teamspeak, you start winning 9/10 battles. So teamwork really pays off.

Best part, well I mostly love the mix of strategy and action. It's a shame a lot of new players don't seem to understand it. You can have battles where you have 50 infantry supply and the enemy has 400 infantry supply, 40 tanks 20 planes and so on. I love the fact that you can have battles like that. But some people call it 'oh this game is so unbalanced blablabla'.

My personal motto in that is, the battles don't have to be balanced, as long as the war is balanced.

The worst part is harder, seeing the game is still in development and a lot of things simply aren't done yet. The current lobby system for example is horrible, but it's not finished yet, they need to test it step by step so it's something we have to go through. I also think it's to easy for infantry to destroy tanks, but that is most likely to change as well.

In my opinion, the worst element is the battle-timer. When you are assaulting, you have 30 minutes to attack (when you capture a victory point it stops though). I would like to see it unlimited and supply to be the only 'timer'. But yeah, that's my personal opinion of course ;).
Enzo Oct 21, 2012 @ 11:27am 
Great reply. It seems like the H&G is still a long way from release. Perhaps 2013? Care to give us any incite on the weapons, classes, or vehicles? Do you feel like the development team is listening to the testers?
Dondergod Oct 21, 2012 @ 3:54pm 
I could tell you lots about weapons and vehicles and such, but I don't want to be typing for 3 hours. Classes are quite limited in this game. In the next big build (still 1-2 months away, last big build came out 2 days ago) they will make the classes go back to what they once where.

An infantry assault team for example, has 1 squad leader slot (submachine gunner) and 5 rifleman slots. An armoured unit has 6 crew member slots, who can spawn a total of 3 tanks at the same time (tank has 2 seats, so that's why they do give you 6 crewmembers)(actually tanks has 5 seats, 2 combat positions and 3 to just sit on the tank to move faster)

So, depending on what kind of assault teams you have in a battle (what generals sent in) you can take control over a certain class.
The rifleman is the most common soldier.

I think I've never seen a developer group so involved with their players as this one. They comment on a lot of forumposts, they often jump ingame and talk with players. I've also really seen them make changes based on community's comments.

I myself have been honoured time after time by Reto-moto actually. Months ago I was mentioned in one of the weekly info-bulletins with 2 others for always helping the noobies out. The tutorial I wrote on wikipedia now is linked in the game. And quite recently I have actually been named 'Community Editor' meaning I am leading a community driven newsletter program.

What I can say about the devs is, they cheer for people showing critics about the game. As long of course, as you do it with respect and arguement your opinions, give suggestions and such. They rather have you say that you don't like a certain aspect than tell them how perfect everything is. Unless everyone would say it so it would mean it's true :P
schoppenstecher Oct 23, 2012 @ 2:00am 
I was waiting for this concept a long time. And I hope that it pays off. But I have to admit that the gun sounds are mostly horrible. Developers, please go to youtube and download a K98k shot sound and add it to the game.
Enzo Oct 24, 2012 @ 4:54am 
It seems like the game is making some real progress. Although from the videoes I've seen it seems like there is still some work that needs to be done.
farsite3 Oct 24, 2012 @ 5:24am 
The game is absolutely fantastic. Weapons are somewhat limited, and hard to earn. But if you are pretty good it doesn't take long. The higher your rank, the more money you get, which is nice. Also, there are several different default classes you can be for each squad you spawn in, although mostly you can use your custom rifleman. My personal favorite is to spawn as my rifleman in a paratrooper plane and drop on the enemy capture point roof and take them out.

One major reason I like it is that this game is, believe it or not, definately not a pay to win game. Every item can and will most likely be bought with credits. You also get gold when you level up usually. Gold just gets turned in for credits, like 1 gold for 500 credits. You can pay real money to buy war bonds, which basically give you a small steady stream of gold. I haven't bought war bonds before, but know basically how they work.

Anyways, I hope that this answers your questions. And really, it doesn't have too many bugs, just when you do find one, it is usually pretty bad, like instantly dying in a tank and falling through the ground. But the bugs are comparatively rare to other games still in closed beta.
Enzo Oct 24, 2012 @ 5:26am 
Speaking of weapons. Can you confirm any weapons for either faction?
csw266 Oct 27, 2012 @ 10:28am 
there are a surprising amount of weapon options. you can also spend your credits on modifications like different springs and sights that tweak the gun properties - damage, rate of fire, etc. It seems like you can fund everything just through credits earned, however you are limited to a rifleman with the basic weapon for some time as quite a lot of credits are needed to unlock all the different soldier types
Gray Fox Oct 28, 2012 @ 4:40pm 
I can tell you is it's a browser based game and keeps like 4 windows open at all times. not good either no in game tutorial and no way to change any settings, just don't even. not good at all
Enzo Oct 28, 2012 @ 5:23pm 
Well it's nice to hear both sides of the game. Why does the game require 4 browser windows open? I'm assuming a tutorial and settings change will be added later.
DarkByNight Oct 28, 2012 @ 8:37pm 
Originally posted by Gray Fox:
I can tell you is it's a browser based game and keeps like 4 windows open at all times. not good either no in game tutorial and no way to change any settings, just don't even. not good at all

There are written tutorials and video tutorials. What more do you expect?
Of course, it might have been really hard for you to figure out the "game guide" button contains game guides. :)

Also, it keeps one browser window and a data streamer open, that's hardly 4 windows.
PEGO Oct 29, 2012 @ 12:19pm 
Great game !! i have been there since last year's ALPHA.. Trust me... the way this game evolves is showing GREAT PROMISE !!
There is a lot still to be done, and every Build that is released seems way ebtter than the previous one. I can't imagine how good it si going to be in public release...

there is something about the weapon modifications that balances everyone, and makes this game a good free to pay. Every weapon modification you buy with credits has a lifetime, if you use it too much, it will brake down eventually, and you are going to have to repair it using credits. you can modify almost every aspect of your weapon : bullets, cannon, spring, sight, trigger. and all of them brake down eventually, and give different advantages, as well as DISadvantges. For example, some mods give more damage, but bring down the precision a LOT or decrease the Rate of fire , etc...
So this game is NOT a pay to win, and will never be a pay to win.
Even the Divisions (assault teams) you control have a limited numbers of soldiers, and have to be supplied . so if they are isolated in the middle of nemy territory, you wont be supplied, and you can eb pushed in by the enemy until no more soldiers are left in the town ...
Also, a lot of things in this game will be made to make as realistic/credible as possible...
Harger Oct 29, 2012 @ 12:44pm 
You're not missing out on anything incredible in the beta at the moment; there's only 3 or 4maps and you normally only play 1, there isn't any great gun play and there isn't a huge amount of people or teamwork in games. However, this is all fixable and I'm sure it will be fixed for release, you'll be missing out big time if you don't play it when it's out.
Showing 1-15 of 53 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50