This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator
irrevenant Jan 14, 2013 @ 3:28am
Internet (rather than LAN) play?
I understand that it's optimal to get 6 players together in a room with a big screen to play this. If that's not viable, is it possible to play this with a crew that's spread over the internet?

(1) If you're playing remotely, can the big screen (the one that everyone sees) be put on a second monitor instead? Can it be put on a single monitor?
(2) Can you host a server so people can log in over the internet?
(3) Does Artemis support voice comms?

Also, while random player matching is obviously not suitable for this, will there be any sort of online presence to help players hook up for internet play when 5 friends aren't available?

< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
SCBD (♥) Jan 14, 2013 @ 6:47pm 
The Artemis Bridge Simulator FAQ[]

Q: Why can’t my crew play over the internet, using some voice chat software?
A: I always wanted the players to be in one room together, just like a spaceship bridge. I want the captain to be able to push the helmsman aside and shout "Full power, DAMN you!!!" BUT, as a veteran game developer, I recognize that players play my game the way THEY like, not the way I like. V1.1 optimized the network code, and a server option that lets you adjust the network update speed, so Artemis plays across the internet just fine.
SCBD (♥) Jan 14, 2013 @ 6:49pm 
Can't answer 1.

I think 3 is a no, so you'd need third-party software for that.
irrevenant Jan 14, 2013 @ 10:48pm 
Originally posted by ♥Scurve♥:
Can't answer 1.

I think 3 is a no, so you'd need third-party software for that.
Yeah, #1 really is the major requirement. Either of the other two can be worked around if necessary, but it'd be a pretty boring game if people couldn't see the main screen.
techbear  [developer] Jan 17, 2013 @ 9:48pm 
Yes to #1. Extra computers can be easily configured as "repeater" main screens. Also, every client computer has extra screens for long range sensors and the "front window" view.

No, no voice chat or matchmaking server right now, but people happily use Skype or Vent, and there's an event calendar website at If Steam gets Artemis, perhaps Valve could offer its tech to bring better solutions to players.
Behrditz Jan 21, 2013 @ 8:36pm 
If it gets on steam, just invite all the crew into a single Steam chat and turn on the integrated voice chat. Pew pew problem solved.
LoneGunman Feb 8, 2013 @ 11:11am 
Or just get on a TS or Vent server...but Steam Chat works. :)
Steph Mar 6, 2013 @ 11:38am 
Please leave it only for lan.
[MYTH] Azimath Mar 26, 2013 @ 8:28am 
Yes to #1 and #2, no to #3 and #4.
  • One client can be set up to run several different stations and a main screen (just pick multiple consoles before pressing "ready to play"). You also can just launch two instances of the clent and use either fullscreen on 2+ monitors or windowed on one monitor (be sure to pick a size that lets both fit), then log them both on to the same server, setting one as a main screen (the game allows multiple main screens on a ship) and the other as a console.

• You can set up the server so others can reach it over WAN. You can either: Set up port forwarding on your router (if you are behind one) for port 2010 TCP (artemis default, I think you can configure it) and then give the remote players your IP (like a minecraft server, if you've done that), or you can set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network), and essentially create a network that looks and behaves like a LAN enough for use with artemis, but runs over WAN, allowing remote users to connect with a password (Google LogMeIn hamachi and download the free, unmanaged version, which makes it super easy to set up a VPN, but limits you to 5 people on one VPN).

• As far as #3, there is no chat functionality in artemis, but seeing as this is on a steam message board, you probably already have an acceptable group voice chat feature (assuming you and your friends aren't "free steam", which you will no longer be if you buy the game). I personally prefer TS3, and I set up a server using port forwarding for when my friends want to play over port forwarding or VPN (I prefer port forwarding since I can have more users on one server, but i use a VPN as well).

• For your last question, if you dont have 5 other people wanting to play, there (currently) is no "official" "game lobby" service that can help you bring in a few extra crewmates. You can play with you and one other person and win, but you will miss out on the functionality of having the other stations (science is probably the one to fill first, IMO, if you only have enough players to do a station other than helm and weapons). Using the options I described, you can recruit players from wherever, but giving people you dont know your IP or VPN login is usually a BAD idea from a security standpoint. If you REALLY want, you can configure one client to run multiple stations, but then you get streched pretty thin.
Last edited by [MYTH] Azimath; Mar 26, 2013 @ 8:32am
Nordic Lynx Jun 20, 2014 @ 8:25am 
Hello :)
LOCb | Jun 25, 2014 @ 10:27pm 
Echo of Death Mar 18, 2015 @ 11:50am 
i think it looks cool
Astat Apr 17, 2015 @ 3:27pm 
very nice game ^^
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 15 30 50