This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Routine
Rosky Oct 4, 2012 @ 5:44pm
perma death/saves
From the start, i apologize for my english.
Now i have see there's permadeath added which it probably means the save data are deleted when you die but, what is gonna happen if you go to the save folder and you make a backup of the save file? i mean you can cheat with it or is there any kind of protection? what about online saves instead?
Regards itz.
Last edited by Rosky; Oct 4, 2012 @ 5:46pm
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
< >
Dr Tomorrow Oct 5, 2012 @ 4:14am 
I wouldn't talk about cheats here... Never
Ceige Oct 5, 2012 @ 6:04am 
Mr Tomorrow I'm not quite sure what you're talking about but cheating in games is pretty much an A-OK topic as long as it doesn't circumvent any multiplayer features or the EULA, so offline singleplayer games only.
Otherwise, if you're just talking about people lambasting the OP for mentioning cheating because it's not the proper way to play a game, then I get where you're coming from, but I don't think anyone with anything worth saying would do that, so I wouldn't worry about him mentioning them.

Unless I've missed your point.

Anyway, as for this, if there is a save system, that's unencrypted and not backed up in any way (I mean, you can just turn off cloud saves anyway if that's a concern), and you knew the address of the folder for them, you could theoretically copy them and back them up easily. Perhaps even alt-tab out and keep back ups like that. I presume though that the devs are approaching things in a way that if you feel the need to do that, it's your choice and it doesn't matter to them. Seems like the game's name though will be a bit of a pun and the gameplay will promote dying and restarting so you can explore, IDK though.
Rosky Oct 6, 2012 @ 9:37am 
Thanks ceige what i meant was exactly that, tought i don't want see pepole cheating about permadeath, that will ruin the game.
what i meant was exactly: is there any anticopy or whatever, so you can't copy the save file?
if there's not is there something else? like an anitcheat?
regards itz.
Ceige Oct 7, 2012 @ 1:26am 
Well, to be honest if they're gonna take the time and effort to back up their saves, they should be able to do what they want. Making the saves anti-copyable might just get too complicated for the devs, and in the case of bugs that may be present, annoy some users if they die a cheap death for example. So it's better just to leave it as is.

It's not like there'd be a proper cheat system in the game, to circumvent a permadeath save system in any game you'd have to work hard at it. So I think it's just better in the end to just leave that aspect alone.

Those who cheat permadeath won't have the game ruined for them because they clearly weren't that fussed about permadeath in the first place, and those who like permadeath won't bother cheating because they respect it. Therefore there's not really a problem, since their saves won't in any way affect your playing of the game :P (unless it's like Dark Souls with people jumping into each others games and killing them, that'd be a pain)
Rosky Oct 7, 2012 @ 11:58am 
thank you for the great answer ceige :).
Zoo Boy Oct 7, 2012 @ 5:35pm 
"Well, to be honest if they're gonna take the time and effort to back up their saves, they should be able to do what they want"

I strongly dissagree...
Ceige Oct 8, 2012 @ 12:50am 
Originally posted by Zoo Boy:
"Well, to be honest if they're gonna take the time and effort to back up their saves, they should be able to do what they want"

I strongly dissagree...

You're gonna have to give a good reason why. I personally can only think of five slightly tongue in cheek reasons:
1) You want everyone to play and act the same way you do.

2) You don't like the idea of people circumventing a system which otherwise doesn't affect you personally, which implies you care too much about what other people are doing, when you should just be enjoying the game the way you want.

3) You don't like people having the liberty to do what they want on their own computers.

4) You really enjoy giving devs pointless work to do which has no direct influence on gameplay, stability or polish of their product.

5) You don't trust yourself to play the game properly without circumventing the system yourself, if it's even possible, and if it's even easy.

;-)

Of course, that's off the top of my head, and admittedly very much influenced by my views on personal liberties, so perhaps you've got a good reason stashed away which I can't guess, so really, please give me your reasoning ;-)

But protecting save files against copying and "misuse" basically peaves off anyone who wants to mod the game (if possible), since they'd lose any control over that aspect of the game, and anyone who wants to play around, back up saves for non-cheating reasons, and so on. So it's just easier to not do it.
Rosky Oct 8, 2012 @ 6:03pm 
thanks ceige again, but personally i'm asking this question not because i want to cheat/aka i like to cheat, is just for my own desire.
i mean i'm just curious and i don't like see others cheating so i was just asking if there something to block the backup of the save.
hope now you have understand it zoo boy.
Chronomaton Oct 12, 2012 @ 2:25pm 
If possible people will propbably make a program or mod to circumvent the Permadeath.
McShave07 Oct 24, 2012 @ 5:34pm 
I'd imagine any saved games would be on a server online, that's the only way I could see it working.
Throne Nov 17, 2012 @ 3:02am 
Originally posted by }+{Fr.Cyhphereous:
If possible people will propbably make a program or mod to circumvent the Permadeath.

I hope they make it impossible to do so. or atleast i hope they put in something so if anyone tries to mod the game they get something that makes the game unplayable.

actually i change my mind.. i wouldnt mind one mod actually.. i dont agree with changing the perma-death.. but maybe a mod that lets you pull the camera back so you can see your character as you explore.. and then by the press of a button you go back into first person view when you need to use the cat.. that is one thing i guess i would like.
Last edited by Throne; Nov 17, 2012 @ 3:08am
Rosky Jan 9, 2013 @ 4:45am 
That's my point the save is easyli copyable from the save folder, even if is hidden. It would need an anti copy/cheat. But i think it needs when you start a game something like permadeath bonus* By that i mean if you choose the permadeath penalty, you will get ingame bonuses, otherwhise you won't you will play normally.
Baron Bacon V, PHD. Feb 21, 2013 @ 12:30pm 
do you notace how much on the down low the devs are being, they are not even saying any comments
Rosky Feb 22, 2013 @ 10:29am 
Originally posted by INSANITY!2542:
do you notace how much on the down low the devs are being, they are not even saying any comments
Well, i really apreaciate if the developers will answer me but probably they're too busy with something else, so i don't really care. ill look forward to the answers of the dev, but probably i will never get an answer.
Failsafe Operator Apr 8, 2013 @ 6:35pm 
The original poster does bring up some good questions concerning saves. Ceige my man, I couldn't have said it better myself. We all should be able to play our games the way we want to play them, given that the game is restricted to single player.
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50