This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

A Hat in Time
Yazu Jun 21, 2013 @ 9:35pm
The Next Rare
As those of you who follow this game have noticed, A Hat In Time is getting pretty huge. The Kickstarter is over 500% funded and growing steadily; slowly but surely reaching the dev team's awesome stretch goals. This game is getting tremendous amounts of support and also attention, and not just from gamers.

The development team is in talks with Nintendo to possibly port a copy over to the Wii U one day. Now, this may not mean much at the moment, but the way I see it is that if the game actually turns out to be as great as we all hope, and Gears For Breakfast gets support from Nintendo, these guys could possibly become big league and become a development house much in the sense like a successor to Rare. Though, if they choose to stay independant, the end-result will still be a return of cherished video game design. They have the potential to build themselves up and become their own powerhouse.

They've shown they have the vision, the talent, and the appreciation for nostalgia, now we have to wait and see and support their work as much as we can. This could very well be history being made for gaming in the glorious return of the lost genres of old that everyone who owned an N64 must be dying for the return of. As a long-time gamer, I know I've been hurting for a time when games were charming and fascinating to play and explore. I've followed this game and its team to this point, and I am more assured than ever that this game will be big and GFB will get the recognition they deserve. Here's hoping for a long and prosperous relationship between gamers and these indie heroes.
Last edited by Yazu; Jun 21, 2013 @ 9:40pm
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Valzeras Jun 22, 2013 @ 4:21am 
I hope they stay independent instead of joining up with the evil corporations that seek to destroy creative freedom, implement linear gameplay and feed us with political correctness in all their games.

We live in an age where we can make a diffrence, an age where we could finally fund the games that we want to play instead of being fed the same first person shooter year after year by the big dogs.

I would go even further and say that we should no longer purchase any video game consoles as the corporations gets to decide the content they deem acceptable, there is no such limitation with pc gaming and people are able to implement gameplay or even certain topics that the console corproations ban from being played on their machines.There is indeed a conspiracy between the 3 dominant console makers to ensure minimal innovation and perpetual monopoly.
Yazu Jun 22, 2013 @ 11:16am 
I wouldn't go so far as to say never buy another console, or that the cold corporate atmosphere of a publisher like Activision extends to all big development houses necessarily. Just because a dev house or publisher isn't indie doesn't make them evil, and even one of the big three, Sony, embraces independant freedom and creativity. Just look at ThatGameCompany; a dev house that has given us such masterpieces as Journey and Flower, and yet despite the fact that their games are perhaps hard to market or not mainstream, Sony has given them a home and allowed them to continue making innovative and imaginative works.

Things are not so black and white. "Corporation" may be a dirty word, but all too often people use it as a crutch to make blanket statements regarding businesses and their sometimes crummy practices. CDProjekt Red for instance, is a development house that is far from indie, yet they show time and time again their comittment to excellence and gamers with their Witcher franchise and free DLC. As well, 4A Games, the makers of the Metro 2033 series, are a relatively humble team (not indie though), yet they've shown that they can make the best-looking game on the market without armies of texture and model artists; and for that matter, their games are rather fun too.

So yes, the spectrum is still widespread as to how creativity and quality can be born in the games industry. It's unfair to ostracize consoles as a whole just because they are a large market or backed by large companies, and the same goes for dev teams which rely on a publisher for their funding. There's still big players out there who are willing to take chances and let talented people have their say in the matter. Still however, if it came down to it, I would hope that GFB would build up their own dev house and keep complete creative liberty.
2sBs Jun 24, 2013 @ 12:56am 
Originally posted by Valzeras:
I hope they stay independent instead of joining up with the evil corporations that seek to destroy creative freedom, implement linear gameplay and feed us with political correctness in all their games.
It would be easier to just say joining EA, Activision, etc.
Leonard Jun 24, 2013 @ 1:45am 
Originally posted by 2sBs:
Originally posted by Valzeras:
how about nintendo,it would fit perfectly
CHARMANDARUUUU Jun 24, 2013 @ 9:36am 
Originally posted by Leonard:
Originally posted by 2sBs:
I agree. Nintendo and Rare worked excellently together, for the mot part. Ifgears for Breakfast take inspiration from Rare then joining up with Nintendo would be a great idea. They are trying to get A Hat in TIme onto Wii U so that's a start.
Heir of Breath Jun 24, 2013 @ 10:33am 
You have NO IDEA how badly I want this to happen.
Obristan Above All Jun 24, 2013 @ 3:57pm 
I would kill several people just to see how Gears for Breakfast handles a Mario platformer or even Waluigi's very own video game.

Yazu Jun 24, 2013 @ 7:38pm 
Originally posted by Sergeant Balrog:
I would kill several people just to see how Gears for Breakfast handles a Mario platformer or even Waluigi's very own video game.

Somebody report this guy............to the Brilliant Ideas Committee.
Somberlain Jun 26, 2013 @ 5:55am 
I'd rather see fresh IP's than more of the same characters. This they have already accomplished though. I'd love to see them working in a close relationship with Nintendo. Man i can't wait to see what the future holds.
2sBs Jun 28, 2013 @ 12:00am 
Gears for Breakfast make a perfect team. They are able to revive an old genre, get nearly 1000% funded on Kickstarter, and all while showing off their game via YouTube commentators by giving them an awesome prototype. These people are the next Rare, and I'm sure we'll see more collect-a-thons after the success of A Hat in Time. Oh, and I am pretty sure they wouldn't ever sell out to anyone, for anything.
KenHalo Jun 28, 2013 @ 1:57pm 
If support from Nintendo means Nintendo exclusivity, I would be really sad. I like games like this and I want them here on Steam.
DoubleTapped λ (Skylar) Jul 2, 2013 @ 10:12am 
I would be rather dissappointed if this game doesn't launch on Steam in the end, but it's really slim that happens
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50