This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

WazHack
Deago999 Jan 12 @ 1:38pm
Difficulty
Hi Waz, In sure you have heard this before, but the actual difficulty of the game needs to be adjusted.
I have the OS version, and play the Warrior and the Wizard, and with both classes, I can barely drop below 500m, The game needs to be seriously balanced, when i walk past a door and it asks me do I want to investigate, yes/no, i click no because i KNOW 3 little creeps are going to pop out being black widow spiders, 3 rabid rats or ogres, but i clicked NO. thats a minor thing, Kobolds are also pretty strong especially when they come in those parties of 3 or 4, and wizards barely EVER land a hit on creeps, my kitten does more damage and has far better accuracy then my wizard, ive tried changing the stats to improve certain points but it is futile.

Classes and mobs seriously need a good balancing to improve gameplay, and the overall experience of the game, because it is not fun when you keep dying every 35min, and fountains are 75% of the time a negative, either a negative buff, or 'dipping' anything in it is always a bad option.

Hope this helps, and id be happy to assist in any way possible.

Deago999
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
Waz  [developer] Jan 12 @ 5:03pm 
Even though the "penalty" for death in WazHack is starting again, the replay value is intended to be high enough that it's not really a penalty. If that penalty is too much for too many people, my duty is to make the replay value even high, not to make the game easier so people can finish it easier.

There are plenty of other easier games available, so I'd rather not change WazHack to compete with those - I'd prefer to cater to players who aren't well served by current games.

In the end, the game is not intended to appeal to everyone, and difficulty is a subjective thing. Some people even find it too easy (hence Nightmare Mode and some of the crazier Achievements were added).

A basic tip for playing the wizard is to use his wand sparingly, but not so much that you die with it nearly full. If you use it too much, you'll not gain skill with the staff, and go from uber-wand-slayer to useless-stick-swinger when it runs out. All the classes are very different, because they have weaknesses and strengths that you need to learn to use and deal with.

Thanks for your feedback though - it's all input into how I balance it.
thecoolllama Jan 14 @ 7:11pm 
I fully agree with Waz. I'm a big fan of Nethack, which is why I so enjoy Wazhack, but that game was a thousand times harder. Shoot, you can play for years and never ascend (beat the game). This new version though, when comparing the two, is toned down yet still challenging. Sure, you die 50 million times, but that's the joy for this kind of game. Don't know how many times I've died in Nethack, but I'm still learning new things and having new and different adventures to this day. WazHack carries that playstyle/replay-ability. If that's not your thing, just try something else, but I feel Waz has done a fine job. Speaking of Nethack, didn't you work on that in some way Waz? Anyway, I love the game so far and I'm excited for 1.2 and beyond. Keep up the good work.
Deago999 Jan 15 @ 1:45am 
I think the wizard/white witch need better accuracy (dexterity)! you swing like 10 times, and land probably 2 hits, each for 2 damage (i understand that wizards/white witches are mainly magic, but some dungeons are baron when it comes magic spell books) now the upgrades can also be sort of useless, i mainly mean for Valkyries.

Fury: Level 3 is: You always land a critical hit when you are below quater hit points.

and

Weapon Precision: Level 3 is: You score 150% more critical hits, or 300% more with a bow/two-handed weapon.

Thats pretty much the same thing?
Waz  [developer] Jan 18 @ 6:40pm 
The Boneheaded Tutor in the game has a good tip: when you first start using a weapon from a Skill you haven't used before, you have to get some practice (successful hits) to get at least to Basic skill level - you'll get a lot less misses after that. The mages are not fighters at all - they were only carrying that staff as a walking aid (or maybe just to look wizardy) when they stumbled across the dungeon.
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50