This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Centration
noms || Angry Engineers  [developer] Sep 18, 2012 @ 5:18pm
Questions & Answers Discussion
Hey folks! With the new specific discussions per project feature, we're able to give you a Q&A thread. Ask us anything you want here and we'll answer it if we can! Thanks again for all of your support, and we hope to develop you a great game!
Showing 1-15 of 134 comments
< >
Plasma_Panda Sep 18, 2012 @ 8:02pm 
Do you have any plans for gamemodes that might not fit the mood of the server? Like SS13's Space Wizard rounds, for example.

Will the threat always be another player? Or are there any plans for more disasters such as meteor showers or other natural events?
noms || Angry Engineers  [developer] Sep 18, 2012 @ 9:21pm 
We plan on including the ability for players to create their own 'modes', as well as including a few 'fun' ones of our own. While our overall theme for Centration is dark and grimy, we do want to include some humour in there.

The threat is everything - other players, a malfunctioning door, a hull breach, anything flammable, lack of air, meteors, even poison.
p_nutz - telstra is best ISP Sep 18, 2012 @ 11:20pm 
will we have any minor job roles like station chaplain? If so, will they have a use beyond pure roleplay value and occasional gimmicks, like a chaplain slapping people over the head to heal them?
MikeyTWolf Sep 19, 2012 @ 8:32am 
Originally posted by p_nutz - TELLLSTRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:
will we have any minor job roles like station chaplain? If so, will they have a use beyond pure roleplay value and occasional gimmicks, like a chaplain slapping people over the head to heal them?

I think I'd like to expand upon that question with some input.

I think roles like "Station Chaplain" were a symptom of SS13's major problem: No natural objective.
It just starts a sandbox, and ends a sandbox ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME in some cases because LOL SHUTTLE
Everything between start and finish stays exactly the same bar some large impact player actions, which are spontaneous and unnecessary.

Meanwhile, hidden antagonists have it bizzare. The number of players either A) make it really easy, since antags can just drop a bomb in the middle of nowhere, and blow it, destroying the station in one go or B) can't do anything at all without getting caught, delaying the end of the station trying to find an opportunity boring everyone to death, or getting defeated in 10 minutes flat and ending the game while 80% of the players did nothing at all.

I think, if I read it right before from what I've seen, having to craft a station from near scratch (arrive on a cargo ship, it has prefabs in it (large chunks of already built rooms) and you weld them together in suits with the goal of finishing a working station with full security/power/atmos/trade etc.) will provide both something very constructive yet creative to do for non-antags while antags get a clear smokescreen that works on all the differently populated servers.
MikeyTWolf Sep 19, 2012 @ 8:35am 
Oh, my own question, very important:
How do you currently feel about Ghosts/Respawning?
I'd love to have a second chance by rerolling a new character but I can see the problems in that already for some players and antags.
Meanwhile I love playing borgs and AI, but that virtually never happens since most bodies just get toolboxed then incinerated/spaced, and this could be a result of grief or not, yet the round will continue for another 3 hours of boredom after you died in 2 minutes of the start.
It's a big issue I think that needs to be addressed.
noms || Angry Engineers  [developer] Sep 19, 2012 @ 4:53pm 
Originally posted by p_nutz - TELLLSTRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:

See here for how we're handling roles within the game. http://www.centration.co/roles/

Originally posted by MikeyTWolf:
Oh, my own question, very important:
How do you currently feel about Ghosts/Respawning?
I'd love to have a second chance by rerolling a new character but I can see the problems in that already for some players and antags.
Meanwhile I love playing borgs and AI, but that virtually never happens since most bodies just get toolboxed then incinerated/spaced, and this could be a result of grief or not, yet the round will continue for another 3 hours of boredom after you died in 2 minutes of the start.
It's a big issue I think that needs to be addressed.

We've thought about this a lot too - naturally after death we're going to allow players to observe the round freely by following characters or free-move; but something like respawning as another character has to be carefully considered. It could be something that we'll let server hosts decide, rather than us.
AngryFrenchKanadian  [developer] Sep 19, 2012 @ 11:40pm 
More power to the server owners is never a bad thing. If you're not satisfied with a server, find another one, or make your own!
Pizzatiger Sep 20, 2012 @ 5:30pm 
are you going to add gentics again? i loved playing with god like powers of turing peaple into hulks/monkeys.

also one of gentics biggest flaws was that it was 2 easy for that kind of power buts has steps that are easy to forget. will you use the same system or do something where you need a hard to get mineral but the actual gentics part is easy to pick up and easy to rember?
Slightly Blue Fox Sep 22, 2012 @ 4:01am 
i really loved that game, although i didn't really know what to do (i'm still considered a useless noob).. maybe include a tutorial, for the newer players? i just saw the new screenshot and got excited! :D
xX_DoongeL_Xx Sep 23, 2012 @ 6:00am 
Im wondering from the ingury side of things, Say you've been stabbed then will you pass out in combat from blood loss or your healthy and your being strangeled will you pass out from no air?
~reggie~ Sep 26, 2012 @ 2:58pm 
From things I've heard, the game will make voice communication very important, my question is will you make communication exclusive to voice chat, or will you have text chat, as well, for those that do not own and cannot obtain microphones?
noms || Angry Engineers  [developer] Sep 29, 2012 @ 12:34am 
Originally posted by pizzatiger follower of NTG:
are you going to add gentics again? i loved playing with god like powers of turing peaple into hulks/monkeys.

also one of gentics biggest flaws was that it was 2 easy for that kind of power buts has steps that are easy to forget. will you use the same system or do something where you need a hard to get mineral but the actual gentics part is easy to pick up and easy to rember?

Not in our initial release, but we do plan similar types of features in future updates.

Originally posted by Mystisk_Blå_Ræv:
i really loved that game, although i didn't really know what to do (i'm still considered a useless noob).. maybe include a tutorial, for the newer players? i just saw the new screenshot and got excited! :D

A tutorial is definitely a must-have, SS13 for new players is like giving a man a 500ft wall, a 100ft rope, and wishing them luck in climbing.

Originally posted by xX_DoongeL_Xx:
Im wondering from the ingury side of things, Say you've been stabbed then will you pass out in combat from blood loss or your healthy and your being strangled will you pass out from no air?

I assume you mean injury - yes. Injuries will cause what we call a 'syndrome' to be applied to your character, and that could be blood loss, loss of consciousness, and even death, depending on what is happening to your character's body (and where).

Originally posted by Registron:
From things I've heard, the game will make voice communication very important, my question is will you make communication exclusive to voice chat, or will you have text chat, as well, for those that do not own and cannot obtain microphones?

Voice communication will be a key part of Centration the same way that it is important for team-based games like Arma 2 or 'The Hidden' (A really fun to play Source mod), but we will be providing an immersive chat experience too.
MikeyTWolf Sep 29, 2012 @ 3:17am 
Here's a question: Any kind of suggestion system coming soon? Whether it's a forum or GetSatisfaction(?) site, it would probably be nice if we could go through different ideas near release and figure out how well an idea meshes with the game with occasional feedbag (maybe a mailbag fortnightly thing?).

One problem I see is eager but clueless fans constantly painting entire forums in other games with "suggestions" that are "just cool" but have no actual merit for being put into the game, either just clogging it up or bringing elements of the game down, and believe the "WELL THEY WANT OUR FEEDBACK SO WE JUST GOT TO VOTE IT ENOUGH RIGHT?" approach a.k.a "X factor" or "Big Brother".

Having a mailbag segment as such can help figure out what kind of suggestions might be most constructive to the official game itself, since custom servers can do whatever they want if they put the effort in.

One example I can already think of works something like:

Idea type: Extra objectives
For: Scientists
Suggestion: Allow them a way to cook up and work an orbital scanner for hard to get minerals. It requires manual aiming and has a technobabble cooldown system (using more energy is a bigger field but takes longer to scan and cooldown) so they can co-op with mining to accelerate the development of the station's economy. Might be modifiable with tech upgrades to scan for other things in other places.
Why this is constructive: It gives scientists something to do when they're not busy or unable to advance due to a lack of materials, plus it grants a practical application for scientists that other fields of work will appreciate.
VirtuaSphere Oct 1, 2012 @ 2:39am 
When your character becomes unconscious, in the unlikely case where you do not die soon after, will the game just give you a black screen, maybe with sounds, until you wake up or will you have an out of body view or such?
VirtuaSphere Oct 1, 2012 @ 3:04am 
Also in technical features overview video you said that a game could last for a day or longer. I realize that this would most likely be an extreme case of game length, but in the case that a game is taking an extended period of time would the player be able to call and vote for a suspension of the game until a later time, or will players have to leave the game if they cannot continue playing? If there is a vote for suspending the game then, as an idea, maybe have the players be added to a list that would say when the other players of that game are online so that everyone can resume the game at the same time, or maybe along with the vote for suspending the game the players would also be able to vote on a set time to resume the game, the players who don't show up on time being dropped from the game or the players who do show up voting on another time that will then show up as a notification when the other players log in to Centration.
Showing 1-15 of 134 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50