This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

The Intruder
Theevenger Oct 15, 2012 @ 12:51pm
Can you make the mouse-based interaction system optional?
Interaction System: Open drawers, cupboards and doors by using your mouse.

That sounds like what they did with the Penumbra games. I actually couldn't stand this functionality. If it is done in that manner, could it be made optional so that I can still interact with containers and doors by pressing E for example?

Could you elaborate a little bit on how you intend for this to work?
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Virtual Jordan Oct 15, 2012 @ 9:09pm 
The trailer gives a pretty good representation of what it would be like, and it resembles the Amnesia mechanic pretty strongly through visual knowledge.

I actually like the mechanic, as I feel it helps you feel more connected. But, I do like a game to have options and I think this is a reasonable idea that would be a good idea to implement, while at the same time, I feel it speeds up the game and one of things The Intruder examplifies is the feeling of panic and being forced to take your time. But I bet having the drawer open in the same speed as regular could balance it.

I would like to hear Mister Royzo's opinion, as I support the option.
Theevenger Oct 16, 2012 @ 11:31am 
I think it definitely adds an immersion factor, but for me that sort of control scheme feels very clumsy with a mouse. On the surface that's an odd statement from me as I will not play a shooter that requires a controller. But for "GUI tasks" the mouse is something I generally dislike. Opening a drawer or a door is a very organic action that one doesn't really have to think about; you just do it, much like walking. When scared, the process doesn't work as well as one's hands may shake, ect, but it is still not a fine-motor function. Opening drawers with a mouse is tedious and turns an activity that normally requires as much fine-motor attention as pressing a button into something frustrating and no longer intuitive.
Ser Wilhelm Fall Oct 16, 2012 @ 1:24pm 
Originally posted by Theevenger:
Opening a drawer or a door is a very organic action that one doesn't really have to think about; you just do it, much like walking. When scared, the process doesn't work as well as one's hands may shake, ect, but it is still not a fine-motor function. Opening drawers with a mouse is tedious and turns an activity that normally requires as much fine-motor attention as pressing a button into something frustrating and no longer intuitive.
I agree. It seems a bit hard to do it with your mouse when in some sort of panic. I actually didn't think of this when I read the description of the game, but you had me thinking.

Pvt. Leatherby [502nd PIR] [2-2] Oct 16, 2012 @ 1:34pm 
Don't even bother with the penumbra mechanics, they were the best of their kind back in 2008 but now it's been four years.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent had stunning physics [When it wasn't glitching through walls] and the fact it was a low budget indie company, what they achieved brought Survival Horror back from the dead.

If The Intruder gets it right everything should be smooth. But there'll be no way to tell without gameplay footage, and the game is being very secretive so someone will have to review it when it comes out.
Last edited by Pvt. Leatherby [502nd PIR] [2-2]; Oct 16, 2012 @ 1:35pm
Theevenger Oct 16, 2012 @ 3:16pm 
I'll take another look at the mechanics from Amnesia and think some more about this. Thanks for alerting me that Amnesia got this mechanic right; I'd avoided playing it (I know, I know..) up to now.
Tactical Bacon Dec 2, 2012 @ 8:37pm 
I really don't see it as being a problem.
umdum9 Oct 5, 2013 @ 6:36pm 
yeah i think they do that sortive like in amnesia right?
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50