This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Sang-Froid : Tales of Werewolves
Artifice Studio  [developer] Oct 17, 2012 @ 10:32am
On our title, Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves
We've received a lot of comments about the title of our game recently. Some of you asked why we used a “French” word, some others asked how to pronounce it or why we didn’t simply use “Cold Blood”. We felt the need to explain ourselves a bit on this...

Sang-Froid is not just a game about werewolves: it is based on real werewolf legends of Canadian folklores from French and English origin. We wanted to reflect both these cultures in our title by choosing a word that would be valid in both languages. Because yes, in addition to being a valid French word, Sang-Froid is an English term found in the Merriam Webster dictionary, meaning “self-possession or imperturbability especially under strain”. We thought that having this ability to remain imperturbable under stress was the best quality a player of our game could have, so we choose Sang-Froid as our title. In addition to that, we also liked the fact that “Sang”, means “blood” in French, referring to the violent nature of fighting werewolves and that “Froid”, means “cold”, evoking the snowy landscapes in our game.

We knew from the beginning that, although Sang-Froid is an English term, it is not widely used, well-known, nor easy to pronounce. Based on that, some people said it could lower our sales. They might be right, we don’t know. On the other hand, having a name that stands out from the crowd can possibly be a boon. And if, because of our game, thousands of people learn a new word, then we consider it a good thing. What was most important for us, and it served as a guideline during the whole 3-year development process, was to stay true to ourselves, to aim for what we think is the best, not necessarily the most trendy or popular. This, we think, is the essence of indy-games.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Careless Crow Oct 18, 2012 @ 8:49pm 
Right on, don't compromise your artistic vision for the mouth breathers or the peanut gallery. Personally I think the name is awesome and I didn't even know about the english usage of the expression.
woopcdayz Oct 18, 2012 @ 11:35pm 
I too say don't change this game's name. As you suggested it will teach while entertain. I learned something I've not heard of before. The trailer you so eloquently narrated is captivating and doesn't mislead or leave us to guessing what your game is. I am all over this! Well done!
BadgerGus Nov 4, 2012 @ 5:57am 
That's why i love this game, it's not just a game, it has it's own essence, good work Artifice Studio!
LoreMaster Dec 2, 2012 @ 4:51pm 
your game is super exciteing! I want to say that this game (among others) has confermed my suspision that the independent development community is in its golden age. your game seems to have what i have always loved about indie games, creativity. my best freind and i come up with ideas like yours everyday and it is inspireing to see developers like yourselves come up with something original and familire at the same time. way to keep the amarican dream alive!
Shad0WeN Dec 4, 2012 @ 4:46pm 
Originally posted by A SoHDarkInfusion:
your game is super exciteing! I want to say that this game (among others) has confermed my suspision that the independent development community is in its golden age. your game seems to have what i have always loved about indie games, creativity. my best freind and i come up with ideas like yours everyday and it is inspireing to see developers like yourselves come up with something original and familire at the same time. way to keep the amarican dream alive!

the developer, Artifice Studio, is Canadian btw, so I'm not sure if that works =P
Last edited by Shad0WeN; Dec 4, 2012 @ 4:46pm
YukoValis Dec 6, 2012 @ 5:12am 
I agree, don't think less of your work because of others. You will never be able to please everyone, so keep your name. Though that being said I would like a prunounciation of it.. I don't speak french lol
FelTheCat Dec 6, 2012 @ 7:39am 
If you know tour phonetic it's "sɑ̃frwa".
Artifice Studio  [developer] Dec 6, 2012 @ 9:20am 
Or : sahn-frwa !
WhiteBuck Mar 1, 2013 @ 7:19pm 
Love it! Love it! Love it! I bought the game because this is the kind of thinking that went into the game. That is a priceless dimension that most games miss.
djkyonshi77 Mar 30, 2013 @ 11:18am 
Keep in mind that "Tales of Werewolves" is added to the main title. This way, it can still reach a considerable amount of people. Not knowing what "Sang-Froid" means but seeing its about werewolves will only spark the curiosity of people. Personally, if it would have been called "Cold Blood: Tales of Werewolves", it would have appeared more generic and unnoticed.

The game is a tribute to our historical folklore and legends about werewolves and the devil are widespread all over the province of Québec, hence the french main title =)
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50