ARK: Survival Evolved

ARK: Survival Evolved

SurvivalPlus - Open Beta
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Tao  [developer] Dec 29, 2016 @ 5:10pm
Feedback and Suggestions
In this thread I would like to gather general feedback as well as new ideas for the mod.
If you find bugs please report them in the "Current Bugs" thread.

Current Areas of interest
  • Item Balancing (Weight / Stack Sizes / Crafting Cost / "Grindyness")
  • Profession Feedback

Make sure to join our website: https://survival-plus.co
and our discord server: https://discord.gg/mNKmDaV
to keep in touch with us!

Thank you guys!
Last edited by Tao; Feb 16 @ 10:39am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 236 comments
Drakk Dec 31, 2016 @ 5:06am 
In a realistic way for your mod, it may be great to light a fire with a hand torch ?
Tao  [developer] Dec 31, 2016 @ 5:10am 
@Drakk We thought about this, but in the end realistically it would be the other way around: You light a fire with a firemaking kit, consisting from stones and something easily inflammable, and then light your torch on that. I've yet to figure out how to make the torch work that way though ;)
Drakk Dec 31, 2016 @ 5:16am 
You're totally right ! good luck :)
just a thought but you might want to increase your harvest rate on the pve server. Atm no matter where i spawn i freeze to death from the cold before i can even make a hatchet... I don't mind the long run to make tools but it has to be possible. Also make sure the tools survive a bit longer if you can and lower the food drain. All i've been doing in 3 days cycles on the server is making tools, repairing them and meanwhile constantly looking for food cause i'm always hungry. First of all that's not realistic at all, second of all atm i think the priority is being able to test everything out (later you can always tune it back)
Last edited by Raven7/Aragon/thorson; Jan 1 @ 3:05am
you also might want to consider giving more points for each lvl since there's so many thigns you can/need to craft. Might want add a small container aswell on the early stage since you need so many tools, so you have a place to store everythign in. Couldn't seem to find one
Tao  [developer] Jan 1 @ 4:55am 
Thank you for the feedback!
The food drain is a good point, however it is vanilla. We'll instead increase the base resistance to cold a bit.
The clay pot should be your first storage device, this is modeled after what was really available in the stone and early metal age. It was not available before the latest two updates because of a bug with the mortar but should work now!
ah k thx man. I'll tryout the server again once the adjustments are made casue atm all i'm doing is trying not to die from cold or starvation. Food drain is/was immense and also tools seem to break very fast. Do keep up the good work though, so far i love what i saw
Last edited by Raven7/Aragon/thorson; Jan 1 @ 5:24am
Tao  [developer] Jan 1 @ 5:44am 
I'll note it down to adjust this!
I've tested a little yesterday, I think there's a lot of potential, awesome work!
I've had some thoughts and would like to share them with you.

1. The wooden spears aren't removed from the inventory when thrown, but collected when you walk by. So I can throw spears into the ground and collect them and end up with ... a lot of spears. ^^

2. If a tool's durability is low I cannot use a new one until the broken one is removed (stone knife and the likes). If it cannot be repaired it should disappear from the inventory automatically, I think.

3. Fiber and Thatch. They're very basic and main resources which are used by building parts and stuff from other mods as well. Since it should be possible to run Survival Plus with other mods, it should be easier to come by these resources.
Why not use those as base and build on them instead of plant parts? Thatch can still be stored in the thatch bale to become ... hay ... which can be used to ... feed herbivores? Just some ideas.

4. How about harvesting feathers from dodos? Crafting arrows should not be too hard and dodos are easy to come by. I like the feather resource, a nice addition!

5. I absolutely love the new ideas for taming dinos! I haven't stumbled over a nest in the wild yet, though, are they implemented already?
Also I've seen there'll be more passive taming for creatures like Dodos and use of animal poisons, very nice!

6. The name. I know, I know, your logo looks awesome and your name is already set ... but there is a problem. "Survival" is integrated in the game name and "Plus" in an official mod as well as other mods. I cannot google your mod or anything related to it because everything else comes up. If it's somehow possible I'd really think of some unique name!

7. The crafting system. This is the part that created the most mixed feelings. I love that it is a more complex and longer process now than it was before. It does feel more like really "creating" something instead of pressing a button and object appears.
However, it needs to be fun and somehow lightweigt meanwhile so that it doesn't get too confusing and stays rewarding instead of getting tedious.

- One main problem are the tools. It makes sense to have them for realism's sake but they quickly grow to be an annoyance for gameplay. It interrupts the flow every time one of it is broken. And with this number of tools it happens every minute.

- The second essential problem I see are "mid resources". There are a few resources that only exist as an extra step, like plant strings and leather strips, also a variety of powders. They feel like tedious work and complexity that is not really necessary.

Since I'd love to spend most of my time outside of the inventory screen, there are a few possibilities to make it more fun, for example:

- Create mid resources by letting a structure work, like you did with the sawhorse. Then gameplay consists of collecting, distributing and storing resources which feels more like you DO something instead of standing around in a boring inventory.

- Make tools useable. They only exist as a requirement taking up space. I'd rather take my spindle out and every time I press the attack button it produces a plant string. Then I can also walk around while making strings or sieving sand or carving bones and watch the beautiful sunset meanwhile :)

Hmm I guess that's all I have for now.
Cheers,
Lydia

PS: Pickupable structures? :)
Tao  [developer] Jan 2 @ 2:16pm 
Hi Lamproly,
Thank you for the extensive feedback!
I'll reply to each by number :)

1. This should not happen, I'll add it to our bug tracker
2. This also should be fixed with one of the latest updates, but I will check again! Always possible that something accidentially did not make it into the update.
3. We are aiming to overhaul ark to reflect a realistic experience. Sadly that means that we will have to break some existing things. We will do our best to make things compatible with mods once our main content is in, however due to the way our mod works this will be exceedingly hard without special mod builds from other authors.
4. Dodos should drop feathers, if the rates and amounts are still too low we'll have to go over them again
5. They are enabled and implemented, some players already founds some. We might turn up the rates in the future!
6. The name is set in stone ;) On our website you should find all links that are currently relevant
7. We will rework this a bit, increasing the durability and such, but mid-resources (we call them components) are here to stay. Our crafting system is aimed at emulating real crafting processes to a degree so we need that. Useable tools is something we want to do at some point, but this is a major amount of work (modeling, animating, etc).

If you have any further bugs, suggestions or ideas let us know!
I see, thank you for the answers!

for 4. maybe it's because it was the Dodus, not Dodos (not sure if they're added by the Center Map or something?)

for 7. Ye, I'm only suggesting to make them more fun to use. It could feel tedious otherwise. It's not easy to get the perfect balance, but I'm sure you'll find it.
If you need help with modeling and animating later you can get back to me as well.

Happy modding (and new years as well :)
Tao  [developer] Jan 3 @ 7:07am 
With pleasure :) A happy new year to you too!

Regarding your points:
4. Maybe they are from another mod? Not sure if the center has custom dinos at all. At any rate, real dodos should drop by now, at least on our test servers they do.
7. We'll have to play with this a little, we're only in beta for a few days, spent most of the time fixing bugs and preparing new content, but at some point we'll have time and hopefully more community feedback to tackle the balancing!
Mikel71 Jan 15 @ 7:57am 
Sugestion: Have a salt barrel in game, like how they used to make salt by filling with salt water and as the water evaporates it makes salt for you, currently on center you have to make all by hand, doesnt have to make it fast just steady over time, just a suggestion
Eggs are an excellent source of food, in the regular game, and still in this mod, but they don't currently give protein, fat or minerals. This could potentially make some of your less useful dino worth taming again. As it stands, we pretty much just tame parasaurs because we have no storage units
Tao  [developer] Jan 17 @ 6:45am 
The eggs should give nutrients. The only exception might be if the dinos have been tamed about 1 week ago or longer ago, then they would still yield the old eggs.

If this is not the case there might be a bug!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 236 comments
Per page: 15 30 50