This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Greenlight is being retired. For more information on how to submit games to steam, refer to this blog post.
Endless Night
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
voiceafx  [developer] Sep 5, 2016 @ 4:49pm
VR Movement Methods
As you all probably know, VR presents interesting locomotion challenges for game developers: any in-game camera motion that doesn't correspond with real-world motion makes you feel sick.

To-date, the most popular solution to this problem is to have the player teleport around the world. Unfortunately, that teleportation motion feels sort of gimmicky, it can be disorienting, and (in my opinion) it really breaks player immersion.

I have some ideas for an improved teleportation system that prevents players from teleport-sprinting across the map (adding cooldowns, etc.) But when it comes down to it, my ideas may simply represent a marginal improvement to a fundamentally flawed movement mechanic.

For those developers following our Endless Night, I'm interested to hear your ideas about VR movement mechanics. Alternative possibilities that I am aware of include the following:

1) Controller-derieved constant-velocity (no acceleration) translation at slow to moderate speeds in-game. This is like traditional motion control. Has moderate risk of causing nausea, but potentially improves immersion.

2) "Walk" detection - an algorithm watches accelerometer data to make inferences about whether the user is walking in-place. I haven't tried this method, but it supposedly prevents nausea quite well. I'm skeptical, however, that it offers sufficient fidelity to really make most experiences work well.

3) Controller derived motion, but combined with a physical "vibration" rig that tells the body that something in the world is changing. It might vibrate during acceleration, for example, and the player would feel that in his/her feet. This *might be enough to allow for more traditional game control without inducing nausea, but it would require physical hardware.

4) Third-person cameras in fixed positions. Player avatar is viewed as if from above, with the active camera changing as the player moves. Great way to reduce nausea, but is rather specific, and doesn't really accomodate a room-scale experience.

Other ideas? Comment below!