This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Hacker Experience 2 - real-time location-based hacking simulator
Napster  [developer] May 9, 2016 @ 9:18am
General Questions
Hello everyone,

I'm starting this discussion so you can easily reach to me with questions. Feel free to ask anything about the game, its development and what to expect for the future.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 36 comments
Napster  [developer] May 9, 2016 @ 9:28am 
I'll start answering some questions made on the comments section (which I can not reply directly).

Originally posted by " hackerman1998":
Are those screenshots actual in game screenshots. Or are you using mock footage?

Both video and prints were made from a working prototype with limited functionality. Basically, it works, it is real, but it was made from scratch with the intention to verify our idea and what we had in mind for the game.

Now, it will be rewritten from scratch on a faster and more efficient language. Even though this seems wasted work, it is a common practice in software development[en.wikipedia.org] and it helps us give the confidence that we are on the right path.

That said, the client interface (i.e. part of the game that you *see*) is the simplest. The most challenging and time-consuming part of the development is the server side (which contains the game logic), and this one is much more advanced than the user interfaces (mobile app, desktop and web browser).

Support of Russian language if possible:)
please support Chinese if possible

The official languages of the game are English and Portuguese (by official I mean languages that our in-house team can translate), but given the fact that the game is open source, translating to your native language is easy, does not require programming knowledge and we expect to support several other languages that were translated by the community.

If you are interested in becoming a translator, please sign up at Let's build a game[letsbuildagame.org].

Note: RTL languages are a bit trickier to develop and might take longer to be supported, but it is on the roadmap.

did you have to copy that phrase from "First strike"?

That's actually a reference to WarGames (1983).

Last edited by Napster; May 9, 2016 @ 9:30am
If we pre order ($10), will that be cheaper than when the game comes out?
Napster  [developer] May 10, 2016 @ 10:24am 
Yes. We are estimating that the final price will be around $25. We will also give the user the option to pay $5 every month, on a subscription basis.
oh eosed May 13, 2016 @ 11:26am 
Will the game have real commands or fake ones?
INTENSEFIRE May 13, 2016 @ 2:45pm 
if I buy closed beta access, when will I be able to play the beta?
SysGabriel May 13, 2016 @ 3:46pm 
I'm planning to buy the beta access (when my parent returns from his vacation) can I help with Bug Hunting? I've created account at the contribution website.
Maël [RATP] May 16, 2016 @ 6:34am 
When will you give access to let's build a game to help you ? :)
LAMASTICOT May 17, 2016 @ 10:24am 
Redoc May 18, 2016 @ 10:51am 
Is this OpenStreetMap allowed in South Korea?
Lukas0120 May 20, 2016 @ 7:55am 
If I buy the Beta when Will i be able to play the Beta?
D2G | Me0wTwo May 21, 2016 @ 7:11pm 
The beta estimated release time is September 2016, no specified day yet, there is lots of waiting time so I expect there to be many updates from now until then, the info is taken from the Indiegogo page, check it out to see more info for yourself.
PEtRoLEuMCRyPt May 22, 2016 @ 4:45pm 
Is there going to be Bitcoin mining as well?
Lukas0120 May 23, 2016 @ 9:33am 
is your ingame location the same as your real life location?
Sil3nt One May 29, 2016 @ 12:28pm 
Will HE2 be having timely resets like HE1 too?
Last edited by Sil3nt One; May 29, 2016 @ 12:29pm
Napster  [developer] May 29, 2016 @ 12:41pm 
Hey, sorry about taking so long to answer.

Will the game have real commands or fake ones?
I'd say 90% of the commands are similar to real ones (same name, similar functionality, similar arguments). Some commands have to be made up, otherwise the game can get too hard/boring.

if I buy closed beta access, when will I be able to play the beta?
The BETA is expected to be released around September 2016. It may get slightly delayed due to our limited resources, but we will do our best to meet the tentative schedule.

When will you give access to let's build a game to help you ? :)
Sorry about the delay, lots of things going on at the same time. We will soon upload a better sign-up system with the option to login. You can take a look at our Development Center[dev.hackerexperience.com] meanwhile.

Is this OpenStreetMap allowed in South Korea?
It looks like so[www.openstreetmap.org], but this is a good question. I'll take a better look at it later.

Is there going to be Bitcoin mining as well?
Of course :D

is your ingame location the same as your real life location?
Not necessarily. Your fixed location (Desktop) is chosen by you and can be anywhere in the world. Your mobile location, however, is sent from your GPS-enabled device, but we skew your location by a certain radius. This way, nearby gamers can know you are somewhere around a 5km-radius, but they can't know your real location. If you prefer, you can play on your mobile phone without GPS, as an extension of your fixed location (Desktop).

Will HE2 be having timely resets like HE1 too?
No. They suck, and HE2 has been designed from scratch to overcome resets. We will, however, reset the game between the closed BETA release and the public one, so no one gets unfair advantage over others.

< >
Showing 1-15 of 36 comments
Per page: 15 30 50