This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Greenlight is being retired. For more information on how to submit games to steam, refer to this blog post.
Heart of Crown PC
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Culture Select  [developer] Feb 26, 2016 @ 6:23am
What's your favorite deckbuilder?
One of the things I love about this genre is that you get the excitement and strategy of traditional trading card games on a more level playing field (no power creep)! They're also really easy to pick up, play, and share with friends, since you only need one set of cards and a table to get a game going. With digital games like Heart of Crown PC, you can bring that experience out to the entire online community!

My friend introduced me to Dominion, and we had a blast playing it at an anime convention. I loved the customization that was possible via the different expansion sets offering countless variation for each game. I then got into Tanto Cuore, because it's a great party game with my usual anime-fan circle, and the setting (maids!) is a personal preference!

What's your favorite deck builder?
Last edited by Culture Select; Feb 26, 2016 @ 6:35am
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
daesol Feb 26, 2016 @ 9:57pm 
Ascension, but just the original base + first expansion.
djcassar Feb 26, 2016 @ 11:30pm 
The first deckbuilder I played was Thunderstone, then a week later I played Dominion.

My favourite would have to be Dominion. Easiest to play with gamers and non-gamers, and the one with the cleanest mechanics. Far more important than theme in my opinion.

I now own Thunderstone, Dominion, Ascension, Tanto Cuore, Eminent Domain and Star Realms. Also played puzzle strike and quarriors as I guess they are technically deck builders.

I'm really not into Marvel but I'll probably be adding Legendary to my collection aswell.
Halko Feb 27, 2016 @ 6:01am 
I kickstarted the Tanto Cuore Oktoberfest expansion and Barbarossa after having played dominion and loving it. Ive also played Legendary and a small bit of Star Realms but i have to say I enjoy Tanto Cuore the most. Dominion is nice but having only played the base game i find the card effects lacking. There arent a whole lot of different interactions and many of the cards are simply super basic. I have not played enough star realms to comment much on that one. Barbarossa itself is great but the whole combat and take cities can really drag on a bit too long sometimes.

Tanto Cuore seems to have the best variety of interesting card interactions speed and user friendliness that im looking for even if i have to convince people its not some pervert game before we play it.
MegaManBK7 Feb 28, 2016 @ 11:33am 
Penny Arcade's Gamer's vs. Evil is the first one I played, and as such it holds a special place in my heart, but I've played a significantly larger amount of Dominion. I also have Tanto Cuore, but have not sucessfully convinced anybody to actually play it as of yet.
Halko Feb 28, 2016 @ 6:10pm 
Just yank it out and shove it down their throats. When they get past the artwork they will notice the game is good.

I really dont care about artwork as long as the game is good. Its a nice bonus if the art is good but id play a barney game if it was good.
Originally posted by Halko:
Just yank it out and shove it down their throats. When they get past the artwork they will notice the game is good.

I really dont care about artwork as long as the game is good. Its a nice bonus if the art is good but id play a barney game if it was good.
:3
Faust Mar 1, 2016 @ 12:39pm 
Heart of Crown is my best since 2 years; very balanced and fun to play. (i've got the last expansion set today \o/ ). I have to translate and patch all cards (japanese version), but it's worth.
Kaas Chuig Mar 1, 2016 @ 5:06pm 
Dang it Halko, why don't you have Tabletop Simulator... hard for me to find people who will try Tanto Cuore... though I usually don't look for random people (especially after what happened last time)
UnLuckyCat Mar 15, 2016 @ 1:00am 
After playing some Dominion expansions I notice a LOT of it was just straight "borrowed" by Tanto Cuore. I really can't describe it other than "Dominion with Maids" and don't have much reason to go back to it, as I may as well just play regular Dominion since there's more varied content to choose from. I'll have to see if Oktoberfest adds much more flare, but I'm not really expecting upgradeable cards and token spamming like in the Adventurers expansion.

Heart of Crown actually has unique mechanics, although some Dominion card types (event/reserve/duration) seem to be the "inspiration," it's not quite the same and the entire game is built and balanced over saving cards on territories and princess abilities. I also like having more of an objective than "keep playing until time runs out and hopefully win" yet it's not as heavy handed as Legendary.

Speaking of, I do enjoy the scenario feel of Legendary, Crossfire, or Pathfinder, but it can be incredibly frustrating how out-of-control and unfair things get thanks to luck and/or bad design. Plus the downside of co-op is that you end up playing for each other, and it's like some people may as well not even be there, especially when so many decisions are outright mandatory if you don't want to all lose the game thanks to random draws constantly forcing your hand. Then you cycle through the deck once and never have to play it ever again until the next expansion.

Dominion-likes (is that a genre?) just need one new player at the table making their own decisions to change up everyone's strategies, just one or two different cards available to alter how everyone builds their decks to make combos, and specifically in Heart of Crown each princess changes the entire flow of the game as each player must counter the others' choices.

I can see why it's rated so highly, and not just for the anime (I'll admit, I was initially only interested due to Yuji Himukai's art), but the game itself is solid and worth checking out.
Halko Mar 16, 2016 @ 6:00am 
I cant disagree with your post too much as Tanto Cuore really is just your standard deckbuilder. All i know is that i bought the original set of Dominion a long time ago and it never really stuck. It was a lot of fun and i really enjoyed it but there were just too many cards that really didnt do a whole lot or were so good your entire strategy was just buy all of those cards. Hello village. Granted i never spent more money on the expansions so they might have been better designed and throught through. Tanto Cuore just seems to work better as a deckbuilder to me.

I didnt know of Tanto Cuore until Oktoberfest had its kickstarter and when i saw it and how it had some different mechanics out of the box i had to jump on it and am glad i did as it was exactly what i was hoping for. It was just dominion but better. I can only hope that Heart of Crown is as good or better.
LVN Sep 3, 2016 @ 7:23am 
Legendary by far atm. I have yet to play Heart of Crown though, and I can certainly see it taking my number 1 spot when it happens.

What I like about Legendary is the constant feel of urgency that keeps players on their toes and the fact that it is semi co-op makes it so that sometimes people help each others and sometimes they try to outshine one another and this is very dependent on group and set-up. The biggest problem with Legendary are those close to unwinnable games that appears from time to time... Once had a game ending at the beginning of my first turn in single player.... O.O That was insane.

Another problem is that it is really not playable with everyone, especially not salty people. It works best with people who respects the scoring in the game and plays to win while still understanding that no matter what, the most important thing is for the Mastermind to go down so that they don't throw the game in favour of the Mastermind just because they are dead last in scoring or makes moves that all but ensures that the Mastermind will win.

A big bonus for Legendary is its single player mode though that I have entertained myself a lot with and will ensure that no matter what Legendary will see play at my table. :)

The reason why I think HoC will end up on top at the end of the day though is because it looks better tuned and the games mechanics look fun, simple, and deep. I can't judge before I play it though and I look forward to doing so.
Valley of the Kings trilogy, Clank!, Tyrants of the Underdark, Arctic Scavengers, Core Worlds. There are just so many good deck builders out there at the moment. Go and explore :)
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 15 30 50