This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Greenlight is being retired. For more information on how to submit games to steam, refer to this blog post.
The Consuming Shadow
lincore Jul 30, 2015 @ 2:03am
Bug Reports
Hey, since I could not find any other place to report bugs I thought I'd post them here and invite others to do the same.
-----------------

I encountered a runtime error while leaving a dungeon playing as the warrior. It occured during the transition to the entrance room. I could not reproduce the error, as it seems to be dun-gen related and dungeon generation is apparently not seeded.
FATAL ERROR in action number 1 of Create Event for object con_dungeon_modern: Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 100059.northdoor(100512, -2147483648) at gml_Object_con_dungeon_modern_Create_0
Last edited by lincore; Jul 30, 2015 @ 2:08am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
Seth Abercromby Jul 30, 2015 @ 2:32am 
I have yet to encounter a fatal error, but in your case I doubt it's dungeon-gen related though since the room isn't randomly generated from scratch whenever you enter it. Looks more like a variable error that may have been caused by some slight margin of error in the algorythm that handles the variables related for room transitioning. That or the pointer for the related data got moved around somehow and then things always get messy.

AGS isn't exactly the most stable engine and it wouldn't surprise me if Yahtzee damands way more number-crunching than it's designed to handle. Doesn't completely absolve him of the possibility of messy programming habits of course.

Anyway, the game has been very stable as far as I am concerned and I've only encountered a few minor hiccups, the most noable finding a rune that had no relation to any of the three present gods.
lincore Jul 30, 2015 @ 2:43am 
I didn't post the error to illustrate the game's buggy nature (it is not), but to serve as a reference for the dev if he is so inclined as to address unresolved issues at some point - so there's no need to defend it :~) For that same reason I'd prefer to keep discussions to a minimum, if you don't mind. If that sounds rude, I'm sorry, it is absolutely not meant that way.
Last edited by lincore; Jul 30, 2015 @ 2:48am
Seth Abercromby Jul 30, 2015 @ 2:58am 
Originally posted by SirNewbington:
I didn't post the error to illustrate the game's buggy nature, but to serve as a reference for the dev if he is so inclined as to address unresolved issues at some point - so there's no need to defend it :~) For that same reason I'd prefer to keep discussions to a minimum, if you don't mind. If that sounds rude, I'm sorry, it is absolutely not meant that way.
I didn't say anything of a defensive nature. I merly gave my own opinion on what the possible cause of the fatal error is. I don't prance around with it, but I do program small games myself on Unity. Once you made all the major mistakes yourself, you get a good idea where to look for answers when things don't work as intended.

If your assumption was true, the code would be a lot more unstable, causing more possible fatal errors. From what we've observed so far, this seems more like a one in a million. Still too much, but not matter how stable you make your code, there is always a very miniscule margin of error that can produce fatal effects, and sometimes a game breaks with its engine. AGS might be easy to work with, but there's a reason most veteran developers migrate to a more generalized engine once they've got some experience under their belt.
Venom Friend Jul 30, 2015 @ 4:57am 
Originally posted by Seth Abercromby:
I

AGS isn't exactly the most stable engine and it wouldn't surprise me if Yahtzee damands way more number-crunching than it's designed to handle. Doesn't completely absolve him of the possibility of messy programming habits of course.

I don't think this game was made in AGS, like his other games. This error message seems to me like Game Maker.
Seth Abercromby Jul 30, 2015 @ 9:02am 
Then you are incorrect twice. Almost all of Yahtzee's games so far have been made in AGS and AGS is indeed credited in the game, though you only see those credits when you beat it. I'd love to provide a screenshot, but a full playthrough takes a while.
FinCthulhu Jul 30, 2015 @ 10:13am 
The Consuming Shadow was made in Game Maker. Yahtzee himself says so in the "Ego Review" video playthrough.
Seth Abercromby Jul 30, 2015 @ 10:23am 
Yup, just confirmed it for myself. To be fair though, AGS and GMS suffer both from the same sorts of issues. They are not bad engines per se, but as I said, there's reasons they are usually described as begginer-friendly, but with notable limitations for larger projects.
Kaiser Roll Jul 30, 2015 @ 11:11am 
I sent out a tweet to Yahtzee asking where I could send a bug report, and was given the email theconsumingshadow@gmail.com .

Also the error that you gave SirNewbington is the exact one I got. Do you remember if your sanity was at zero, if you had a broken leg or was being chased by the fat man in a trench coat? It might not have anything to do with the crash but if the circumstances were the same then it will be easier for them to fix.
Last edited by Kaiser Roll; Jul 30, 2015 @ 11:15am
Vermillion Jul 30, 2015 @ 11:44am 
Originally posted by Kaiser Roll:
I sent out a tweet to Yahtzee asking where I could send a bug report, and was given the email theconsumingshadow@gmail.com .

Also the error that you gave SirNewbington is the exact one I got. Do you remember if your sanity was at zero, if you had a broken leg or was being chased by the fat man in a trench coat? It might not have anything to do with the crash but if the circumstances were the same then it will be easier for them to fix.

I got a crash once as well but was able to continue after it crashed.
For me I was running from the fat man, I shot him 3 times, ran past him got hit and then ran out of the room, during the transition it crashed.
little walter Jul 31, 2015 @ 7:05pm 
Had an occasion where my character dissapeared but came back when I changed rooms, haven't played much other than that
lincore Aug 1, 2015 @ 3:09am 
Originally posted by Kaiser Roll:
[...]Do you remember if your sanity was at zero, if you had a broken leg or was being chased by the fat man in a trench coat? It might not have anything to do with the crash but if the circumstances were the same then it will be easier for them to fix.
As far as I remember it was relatively early in the run so my sanity was not zero and I can't recall being chased by anything (not sure, though).
lincore Aug 1, 2015 @ 3:12am 
Originally posted by o.:
Had an occasion where my character dissapeared but came back when I changed rooms, haven't played much other than that
That sounds more like one of the insanity symptoms (not yours, the character's :~). That's intentional.
little walter Aug 1, 2015 @ 2:21pm 
Ah, thanks for sorting that out
jonpaze Aug 2, 2015 @ 2:12pm 
My bugs to report are that the items and all the clues I had on my previous failed run carried over to the next attempt. Also the death of the current character didn't seem to affect the fact that I could continue where I left off to the save prior to me dying. I had all my items and all the clues and I managed to beat the game. Felt a bit like cheating.

The ending might have bugged out too, where in the ending B the end text should have scrolled or moved to a next page but it didn't and I was left to hear the "typing on a keyboard"-sound without the accompanying text. The game basically didn't let me read the rest of it after the first page.

After that, I tried the game with the new character you get after beating the game and had the items I used on the previous, "victorious" run. Still felt like cheating.
Last edited by jonpaze; Aug 2, 2015 @ 2:34pm
little walter Aug 2, 2015 @ 3:38pm 
Jonpaze, pretty sure that's intentional for the first one
< >
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
Per page: 15 30 50