This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Ultima Online
ArcheAgeQueue Apr 16 @ 10:46pm
I'm confused? Is this a re-release of Ultima Online? Who is BroadswordGames?
I'd play pre T2A / UO:R Ultima Online immediately if that were the case. Why are there so few details about this? How is this authorized? Does EA not own the copyrights to Ultima Online?
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Eyrothath Apr 16 @ 10:52pm 
No, this isn't a re-release, basically the current devs of EA Mythic created a new studio called "Broadsword" and brought DAOC with them and under Broadsword they are basically free from EA's restraint.. Broadsword will continue to work with EA for the games' billing and account services, the studio can pretty much do what it wishes with UO and DAOC though without having to go through EA.. What is essentially happening is that Broadsword is "partnering with EA Mythic and are operating, developing and supporting UO and DAOC on EA's behalf, but Broadsword is not an EA studio, which means they can do what they want with UO.. :) http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/8212/General-Broadsword-Online-What-It-Means-For-UO-DAOC.html I hope this clears some things up..
Last edited by Eyrothath; Apr 16 @ 10:55pm
Nightmare@MS Apr 17 @ 12:33am 
check this...
http://www.uo.com/
Mandrake Apr 19 @ 7:30am 
Originally posted by Eyrothath:
No, this isn't a re-release, basically the current devs of EA Mythic created a new studio called "Broadsword" and brought DAOC with them and under Broadsword they are basically free from EA's restraint.. Broadsword will continue to work with EA for the games' billing and account services, the studio can pretty much do what it wishes with UO and DAOC though without having to go through EA.. What is essentially happening is that Broadsword is "partnering with EA Mythic and are operating, developing and supporting UO and DAOC on EA's behalf, but Broadsword is not an EA studio, which means they can do what they want with UO.. :) http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/8212/General-Broadsword-Online-What-It-Means-For-UO-DAOC.html I hope this clears some things up..

Please don't even try to pretend that the skeleton crew from Mythic that are "Broadsword Games" will have any independence whatsoever, as EA is still involved. The "new" studio is solely for purpose of publishing this through Steam Greenlight and other avenues, in the weak attempt that EA's stench wouldn't override the nostalgia goggles of people who remember when the game was worth playing (and paying for, and it's fully in EA's control to charge $13 a month still for the mess they've already turned this game into).

The "independence" is still a farce as it is with any developer working for/"with" EA.
Last edited by Mandrake; Apr 19 @ 7:31am
fallon.valor Apr 19 @ 8:34am 
That wasn't my impression when I met with Rob, Bonnie, and Matt for lunch.
Mandrake Apr 19 @ 8:48am 
Originally posted by fallon.valor:

EA is allowing "Broadsword Games" creative freedom in the future development of DAoC and UO?

Heh, okay. I will have to see that before I might believe it, because EA's history rather well works against them here. Many others once had such silly notions in the past before they were read the fine print by EA's legal department.
Eyrothath Apr 21 @ 12:36am 
Originally posted by Mandrake:
Originally posted by fallon.valor:

EA is allowing "Broadsword Games" creative freedom in the future development of DAoC and UO?

Heh, okay. I will have to see that before I might believe it, because EA's history rather well works against them here. Many others once had such silly notions in the past before they were read the fine print by EA's legal department.

Broadsword Games isn't an EA owned studio, they operate UO on EA's behalf, look at their website, you won't find an EA stamp anywhere..
Mandrake Apr 21 @ 3:01am 
Originally posted by Eyrothath:
Broadsword Games isn't an EA owned studio, they operate UO on EA's behalf, look at their website, you won't find an EA stamp anywhere..

And unless EA has changed in the last 30+ years since being founded by Ego Trip Hawkins, Broadsword Games are still expected to be company buttboys by EA. Trying to claim that there's a sudden difference is hilarious ignorance of history.

If a "new" studio that doesn't have the EA stamp is enough for you, then congratulations, you've swallowed the farce. The farce they used to get this title onto Steam Greenlight.
rrashintoast Apr 26 @ 3:06pm 
40 comments later.. I'm still sitting here playing PRE-age of shadows UO, and Loving it :)

If EA doesnt bring it back, it doesnt really matter.

And to the guy who said Free Servers only have 600 players??

Go look on JoinUO.com, on the right side it says theres 2500 players playing free UO shards.
(one had 1000 playerbase recently)

*Rides away on an emu*
stricken2025 Apr 30 @ 8:19pm 
www.zenvera.com - Zenvera is developed and maintained by Mark Sturgill, the current maintainer of RunUO, Razor, and Sallos. The Zenvera community is heavily involved in the development of the shard. Community feedback and suggestions are the driving force of changes on Zenvera. Zenvera is a self-moderating community with very few rules. This leaves our staff members free to spend their time running events and world building. ZENVERA WAS CREATED BY
VETERAN ULTIMA ONLINE PLAYERS AND DEVELOPERS LOOKING TO BUILD A STRONG, INVOLVED COMMUNITY.
Zenvera’s baseline ruleset is loosely UOR-style and you will find features from nearly every era of Ultima Online here. We have customized housing, pet bonding, tournament and event systems, active factions, bulk orders, power hour, poker, and much, much more.
Last edited by stricken2025; Apr 30 @ 8:20pm
Shadowlady May 19 @ 9:23am 
I see a lot of in fighting amongst the greater UO community, but it doesn't change the economics. If they release a classic server on STEAM which is what those photos show, then I'll gladly buy and sub. If it is anything that resembles the POS Ultima Online became, I will not be subbing.

I"ve never understand EA's failure of basic economic theory.
Mandrake May 19 @ 3:45pm 
Originally posted by Shadowlady:
I see a lot of in fighting amongst the greater UO community, but it doesn't change the economics. If they release a classic server on STEAM which is what those photos show, then I'll gladly buy and sub. If it is anything that resembles the POS Ultima Online became, I will not be subbing.

I"ve never understand EA's failure of basic economic theory.

Here it is in a nutshell: ♥♥♥♥ Hawkins. I mean Tripe Hawkins. Close enough.

The ethics of EA, and I know I threaten the stability of the universe by using "ethics" and "EA" in the same sentence without a negative quantifier in front of either, was set in stone by that business version of an ambulance-chaser inbred several times over with the sleaziest used-car salesman history has ever known. If you're looking for honesty in EA tradition, just read Broadsword Games' About page and try to not laugh yourself silly (this goes for current subscribers that have been waiting for EA Mythic to do...anything, really, over the last four years or so aside from throw parties on the players' dime and fart around in ways that makes indie look quite a bit more competent than supposed "professionals"). In other words, Rob Denton has learned from the ♥♥♥♥master and is no longer just an apprentice in EAconomics himself. They are too busy milking the poor ignorant saps still subscribed to Diablofied UO, and have made the typical EA lies and hype over the years, that to do anything else now would be an admission that they've been lying to and defrauding the customers.

Broadsword Games isn't "releasing" a damn thing on Steam - they are just hoping to get UO listed on Steam for cheap advertising and to bypass old publishing contracts between EA and VALVe. You could go to www.uo.com, make an account, and then add the game to Steam yourself with + ADD A GAME... in the lower-left of the Steam client, and you will be doing more than Broadsword Games plans to.

For further evidence of their don't-give-a-♥♥♥♥, take a look at the single Announcement EA Mythic ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Games made for this title and DAoC, and then see their "utmost" attempt to respond to questions and comments (which did start out relatively nicely), but the reason why the tone has since shifted has been due to their claims turning into lies (by not responding at all to anything even though someone is paid to do just that - I suppose lunch with the CEO of Stratics counts for something among EA's professional publicity rentboys).

All their claims on the About page - they were the ones who turned them into lies over a month ago, but we'll get the blame. They just made a new studio yet are still stuck in the status quo EA put the game into, and they are too comfortable with it to care about actually changing their practices, that they are still effectively EA owned.

Every Player. Every Day. BOHEACA.
Last edited by Mandrake; May 19 @ 5:36pm
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50