This is a concept or project early in development

This item is here to gather feedback from the potential customers and begin building a community. If you like this project, feel free to rate it or favorite it. The voting here serves only to give the developer data and reactions and doesn't work toward getting the game distributed on Steam.

StarDiver
friken  [developer] Mar 31, 2014 @ 12:37pm
Favorite Old Scifi Games you miss?
I'd like to poll some of the older gamers. What old sci-fi games do you miss and why? A few on my list:

1983-1989, Omnitrend's Universe Series. The second was my favorite in the series (1986). I especially loved the text adventure and story telling when landing on planets. I also loved hiring and paying your crew. The realtime planet mining was neat to watch your crew health and time launching off the planet before someone died. Moby: Universe2 [www.mobygames.com]

1984, Tradewars. I was both an avid BBSer and Sysop back in the day. I even wrote couple BBS games for the Excalibur BBS platform. Of all the door games, none captured my heart like Tradewars. It was so loved that fans still run tradewar servers today. Tradewars [www.tradewars.com]

1984, SunDog. This was a great game. You can really see the universe influence on this game. Sundog turned the text and barely graphical concepts of the first couple universe games into a great graphical (for the time) game. It also paved the way for the classics that followed. I think most gamers at the time loved walking around your ship and interacting with each of the systems. SunDog Wiki[en.wikipedia.org]

1986-1991, Starflight Series. These games progressed the genre more than any I can think of on my list of classics. They refined the story telling, planetary mining, exploration, and the overall epic space romp feel. Numerous scifi games after this series mention starflight as inspiration for their works including Mass Effect, Protostar, and Starcontrol series. Starflight presented alien contact very 'startrek' like with aliens ready at their starship bridges and used cleverly written story to make the universe feel alive. Of all the games on my list, I think think Starflight deserves the most kudos for both the games they created and the amazing projects they inspired others to create.Starflight wiki[en.wikipedia.org]

1991-1996, Star Control Series. I think Star Control is the most mentioned in modern times of the games on my list of personal favorites. While Star Control 1 was mainly a strategy game, the second in the series took the gameplay and ideas of the Starflight series and improved on them greatly. They did a great job of the alien story and conversations of the starflights and took the ship combat to a whole new level of fun with arcade like controls. The third in the series attempted to combine the strategy elements, Civilizations, and starcontrol2. While many gamers think it was a terrible game, I still enjoyed it. Admittedly, like most the 2nd was my favorite of the series -- I just didn't think the 3rd was as bad as most critics did. Star Control wiki[en.wikipedia.org]

Other scifi games you think were great? Wing commanders? FreeSpace2? others? Let's discuss them..... Our goal with the project is to revive what we feel has been missing from the scifi classics for the last two decades. I'd love to hear about what aspects of the classics you would like to see done in a new game.
Last edited by friken; Mar 31, 2014 @ 12:48pm
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
GamingFoShizzle Apr 1, 2014 @ 11:25am 
Starlancer.... I was thinking of buying it again but I am used to a different graphic now. So I might not find it that appealing anymore. Alos I liked Space Quest and my all-time favourit Arcade game Defender !
friken  [developer] Apr 1, 2014 @ 2:58pm 
I remember Starlancer. If you liked that one try out Freespace2 (great game). There is a fan project for Freespace2 for high rez textures and so you can run it at higher resolutions than originally released. It has been a while, but I recall the story in it being pretty great.
SilentXero Apr 1, 2014 @ 5:04pm 
Starflight, MOST DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!! Moonsweeper for Atari 2600 was also a fun shooter romp; kind of a 3D Defender as you had to rescue civillians. Star Controll series was also so much fun!
friken  [developer] Apr 1, 2014 @ 5:48pm 
Originally posted by SilentXero:
Starflight, MOST DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!! Moonsweeper for Atari 2600 was also a fun shooter romp; kind of a 3D Defender as you had to rescue civillians. Star Controll series was also so much fun!

Another old-time gamer like me :) I never played Moonsweeper, I'll have to look that one up. Thanks.
fortuiteer Apr 2, 2014 @ 12:19pm 
If you ask for worthwhile features of old sci-fi games, I'll have to mention "Sentinel Worlds 1: Future Magic". Just as in Sundog, you could walk around on foot, in top-down view. The most memorable part of it was walking through enemy ships after disabling them in space battle and boarding them.
Optimally, that is what I would want from a modern sci-fi game. A seamless blend of flying and walking. Having space battles where one of your crew members is "shadowing" an enemy ship while you man the turrets, targetting the other ship's engines and then boarding it and having a shootout with the survivors. "Faster Than Light" was close, but it lacked the sandbox style world and freedom, and the "flying" part.
I'd picture it like that, though. The ship constantly in top down view, showing all rooms and people on board, while flying through a 2D space, with the world circling around the ship, as it turned (the ship being the fix point, instead of the world map).
It's also one of the few available features to be distinguishable from other current sci-fi themed top-down view games. They all just focus on the action part of directly controlling the ship with a gamepad or wasd/cursor keys. More shmup than tactics or gameplay depth.
friken  [developer] Apr 2, 2014 @ 1:04pm 
Originally posted by fortuiteer:
I'll have to mention "Sentinel Worlds 1: Future Magic". Just as in Sundog, you could walk around on foot, in top-down view. The most memorable part of it was walking through enemy ships after disabling them in space battle and boarding them.

Cool, an old scifi game I didin't play. I just watched this youtube video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48HgFio6wI

It looks like fun. I'll have to give it a try. The ship2ship boarding in universe was a lot of fun. If I recall, after the universe series they made a game called breach that had just the marine boarding party gameplay. I'd love to have ship boarding in our game. I'm not sure we will be able to for timeframe though. I think one of the reasons why there aren't many attempts at games like our classic scifi favorites is how many different game mechanics those old games had. Exploration, mining, planet roving, ship boarding, ship to ship combat, alien chats, etc... As a gamer, I want it all :)
Last edited by friken; Apr 2, 2014 @ 1:04pm
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50