This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

FRONTIERS - Explore ● Discover ● Survive
Tazned Apr 2 @ 6:55pm
Will there be a functional multiplayer
multiplayer in a game like this will just be astounding. i was wondering if you will ever add in a multiplayer that can handle up to 20 people?
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
< >
railboy  [developer] Apr 2 @ 10:25pm 
Hello - I strongly doubt we'll ever support more than four players. Four is already a massive undertaking for this budget and this schedule.
radar2670 Apr 3 @ 12:44am 
Why does EVERY game have to have multiplayer forced into it? I would rather you spent your limited budget, staff, and schedule making an awsome single player experience and IF you had the time and budget, consider adding multiplayer.

That being said, I still gave Frontiers a "YES" :)
Last edited by radar2670; Apr 3 @ 12:46am
railboy  [developer] Apr 3 @ 1:25am 
Thanks for the vote.

Multiplayer is worth the effort. Have you ever played System Shock 2's 4-player co-op? Just imagine 'single player plus friends' and you've got the idea. No extra modes, no extra content - just the ability to experience the game with 3 other people. That's what I'm shooting for here.
Waveset Apr 3 @ 3:06am 
Dysfunctional multiplayer confirmed!
T2|SgtLumpy Apr 3 @ 6:41am 
looks awesome, but Im really not interested in a world this large and only able to share it with 4 people :(
Dasnaradak Apr 3 @ 7:11am 
If you make a lot os variable missions, or ways to gather and colect things, the 4-friends experience could be a lot fun indeed. I hope you manage to do it, what's really bothers is the fact that, for example, if you need a especific type of fur, you just need to go to "The same way" cave and get the animal. The variations of ways to get that thing is what make these type of games, for me actually, a lot fun. Good work to you man, waiting the game here!
Tazned Apr 3 @ 7:29am 
alright thanks for the quick reply i understand your budget and 4 players would be blast if you can find the people to play with

Originally posted by railboy:
Hello - I strongly doubt we'll ever support more than four players. Four is already a massive undertaking for this budget and this schedule.
railboy  [developer] Apr 3 @ 8:59am 
Dysfunctional multiplayer confirmed!

lol
shinnlly Apr 3 @ 9:05am 
This actually is the exact kind of multi-player i am looking for in this type of game. I am looking forward to it.
Autocannibalistic Turtle Apr 3 @ 11:47am 
Multiplayer is worth the effort. Have you ever played System Shock 2's 4-player co-op? Just imagine 'single player plus friends' and you've got the idea. No extra modes, no extra content - just the ability to experience the game with 3 other people. That's what I'm shooting for here.

System Shock 2 is still my favorite co-op experience of all time.
Siff Apr 4 @ 6:35am 
4 player multiplaer sounds awesome, I'll deffinetly be looking into this game as it progresses. Although 4 is a low number atleast it's something, we all know we wanted to share our adventures with friends in any of the games by bethesda in recent rears but never could, and this is what you guys are potentialy binging to us. On a final note not even a week ago I said to myself I'll never buy another early access game again, but if (and I'm not sure if it already is because just seen it) it does go early access it would be on my list of things to pick up. Looking good guys, keep it up.
Last edited by Siff; Apr 4 @ 6:36am
nice
The Last Hallow Apr 10 @ 5:02pm 
if 4 player co op works why cant you just allow 8 connections? This is the thing i dont get. there are games where people have sort of "hacked" the system so instead of just 4 players they could play with 20 players and it worked just fine. Personally i think that it should be a number that the host decides. if i wat to allow 20 people on my game i should be able to allow it. i dont like artifical caps on games that can clearly support more. THAT BEING SAID! i still really want to play this game CO OP with my friends.
railboy  [developer] Apr 10 @ 5:37pm 
>if 4 player co op works why cant you just allow 8 connections? This is the thing i dont get.

Four players is the number I feel comfortable advertising because there's a good chance I can make co-op playable and optimized. Beyond that number I'm far less confident. Every additional player is more load on the server, more need for optimization and data compression, more lag to deal with etc.

There are also gameplay issues. With three additional players it's not really necessary to create a multiplayer 'mode' - you can just have single player mode + 3 friends, and maybe turn the difficulty up a tad to compensate. But when you have five, six, seven, ten, fifteen etc. players then it becomes increasingly necessary to create some dedicated multiplayer gameplay. And I don't have the resources to do that.

That said, the four player limit isn't hard-coded so I'm sure people will hack it to support more players the moment it's released. But odds are it'll be laggy and not much fun. That's out of my hands, though.
Last edited by railboy; Apr 10 @ 5:38pm
Siff Apr 10 @ 7:29pm 
There are also gameplay issues. With three additional players it's not really necessary to create a multiplayer 'mode' - you can just have single player mode + 3 friends, and maybe turn the difficulty up a tad to compensate. But when you have five, six, seven, ten, fifteen etc. players then it becomes increasingly necessary to create some dedicated multiplayer gameplay. And I don't have the resources to do that.
So with the 3+ friends you're thinking of a borderlands type approach to multiplayer?
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50