This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Crawl
Mr More Dakka Mar 28 @ 11:45pm
Bot Quality aim?
So it has already stated that this game will have bots when it becomes available. Since those bots could admittedly be the life or death of this game for those of us with no local players- I just wanted to see if I could get some verification on the overall bot quality you're aiming for. :P

1. Will the bots actually try to win the game as the hero?
- Will they buy stuff as the hero?

2. Will they be seen manipulating the monster-upgrade menus like a normal player, or will their upgrades just be automatic/scripted/hidden? (Possibly based on the god chosen for them, since that would obviously be selectable at the game's start)

3. I'm already assuming you're aiming to let them be able to control all of the monsters and traps in the game... :P

4. Will there be difficulty settings for the bots? (Or even more ambitious: 'personality' settings that can make the bots slightly different from each other?)

5. Why do I have the (probably stupid) gut feeling that some of the footage we've already seen has secretly been bots in action? :O (Specifically the ghosts circling around the boss while it rises in the greenlight trailer. :P )

This is probably a LOT to consider overall given the scope of the project, but any answers would be appreciated if powerhoof has the time. :)
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Powerhoof  [developer] Mar 29 @ 3:35am 
hey thanks, the bots are an intereting feature with many pitfalls :)

for questions 1,2 and 3: yep, the bots do all the stuff a human would- they fight the boss to win, they inhabit the boss and all of the traps and monsters, they use the stores and ungrade their heroes, and they upgrade their monsters in the same way players do

Q4: we're not quite sure yet, but it seems very likely we will have difficulty settings

Q5: haha you are spot on with that :) when I was capturing the footage for the trailer I couldn't have my friends in my room the whole time helping me capture, so pretty much all that footage is me fighting bots- and the sine wave type movement on the shot with the boss is very much a telltale Bot behaviour :D
Powerhoof  [developer] Mar 29 @ 3:36am 
PS capturing with the bots was actually a massive headache- I'd be trying to capture a specific type of thing and the bloody bots would kill me or run off to the shop and buy a spell or a weapon I didn't want to show and I'd have to restart!
Powerhoof  [developer] Mar 29 @ 3:44am 
as for the general question of how high quality we're aiming for, definitely the target is for them to be as close to playing against a human as possible

of course this is designed as a multiplayer game where a lot of the fun is interacting with the people, so even if we nail the behaviour mechanically it is hard to say if it will be as compelling...

definitely using the bots when you only have 2 players to fill out the other two slots is a bit of a happy medium- it's pretty easy to organize one other person, you get the fun of going after eachother, and all the craziness of the full four guys
Last edited by Powerhoof; Mar 29 @ 3:44am
(NESF) NaterTater Mar 29 @ 7:46am 
Originally posted by Powerhoof:
as for the general question of how high quality we're aiming for, definitely the target is for them to be as close to playing against a human as possible

of course this is designed as a multiplayer game where a lot of the fun is interacting with the people, so even if we nail the behaviour mechanically it is hard to say if it will be as compelling...

definitely using the bots when you only have 2 players to fill out the other two slots is a bit of a happy medium- it's pretty easy to organize one other person, you get the fun of going after eachother, and all the craziness of the full four guys

Powerhoof, this is totaly off subject and i should probably put this in another subject post, but
1) how many bosses are there?

2)are the enemies randomized like starbound?

3)basically what im asking is, if i die and go back into the game, will it be the same exact dungeon? or is it a progression game, where you start from the beginning each time you start and go to different dungeons when you defeat the boss kinda like the binding of isaac?
Powerhoof  [developer] Mar 29 @ 1:20pm 
my plan is to have as many bosses as i can come up with :) i'd like to have at least 8 or so, but it all depends what ideas we come up with and how well they work once we start prototyping- maybe we will only have 3 good ones, maybe 20!

in the current build we just have 1 boss, but more will come over the course of early access, so hopefully your testing and feedback will help shape what they are and what mechancis they have!

it is a similar situation with the environment- the levels are all randomly generated, but we only have 1 environment tile set at the moment- over the course of early access I am hoping to make a lot more so you end up with more variety and different play from game to game depending on which environments you go between

as for longer term progression, we have a system for unlocking more monsters/bosses/items which we will be fleshing out to hopefully give that feeling of the content growing each time you play. i would love to fill crawl up with secret challenges and achievements to unlock loads of secret stuff!

basically the design has space for lots of content, but the exact ammount of content will depend on how well the game goes... the more people like it and the more it sells, the more we can afford to spend the time to add more stuff!
CrawlMaster Mar 29 @ 11:20pm 
Oh, man... I'm freaking out so bad... This is going to be so awesome.... Powerhoof... You are my heroes!
Diamonx Aug 5 @ 2:35am 
Originally posted by CrawlMaster:
Oh, man... I'm freaking out so bad... This is going to be so awesome.... Powerhoof... You are my heroes!
you mean...POWERHOOF IS SECRETLY THE HERO? :OOOOOOOOOO my god. so we will be playing as powerhoof in the game :OOOO
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50