This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Koenchu! -The Tale of the Voice Actress-
aquapendulum Feb 19 @ 4:53pm
Things to know about the original release
I'm very worried to see this game popping up on Greenlight and I feel obliged to let other Steam users know about my concerns.

So this game came out years ago (2011 I think?), it was self-localized and self-published by Zero Zigen, which you can tell is the dev group. It slipped under the radar, as you can imagine. The English release also came with English audio option. Yes, the game is dual audio. So how is localization quality? It's horrendous, and you might think that's because of the English dub, which is pretty preposterous, you know, dubbing an entire visual novel in English. No, the English dub is actually the highlight of the localization, the English cast performed their butts off, and the end result was nowhere near a trainwreck I was expecting. They must have got some pretty competent voices on the cast.

Oh no, the real travesty of the localization lies in the translation. The game was probably not handed to a native English speaker to proof-read, so the script is riddled with so many spelling and grammatical errors that it looks like a Grammar Nazi's concentration camp. In fact, this game looks like it hasn't reached proof-reading stage, it hasn't even got passed rough translation. There are sections of the game that are left completely untranslated, you just got the word "DUMMY" in those places, as if this is a placeholder for a translation that never came. And the worst thing about it is that on their website, they fully admitted that, and I quote:
Koenchu! The Tale of the Voice Actress is not yet complete! Those who have purchased the game will receive free updates! Updates will be released in patches.
There is no patch! I scanned the entire website and I could not find a patch anywhere, so the game has been left in this state for 3 years.

Another one of my concern is that the radio feature that you can see on the Greenlight page, these radio programs are not dubbed in English. There is no English subtitles for this feature either so it's useless to English speaking players.

It also doesn't help that the original game is very mediocre to begin with, but I'll let you make up your own mind about that. The original release is out there, and you can check it out for yourselves. What I'm concerned about right now is that the game cannot be released in this state. Something has to be done with this game before it goes up on sale and nevertheless, I still feel that other Steam users deserve to be informed before casting their votes.
Last edited by aquapendulum; Feb 19 @ 7:18pm
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
sekaiproject  [developer] Feb 19 @ 5:33pm 
Before the game launches on Early Access program we are planning to do a edit passover and fill in the missing localizations.
aquapendulum Feb 19 @ 5:37pm 
Originally posted by sekaiproject:
Before the game launches on Early Access program we are planning to do a edit passover and fill in the missing localizations.
And the radio programs will have subtitles?
sekaiproject  [developer] Feb 19 @ 5:44pm 
Originally posted by aquapendulum:
And the radio programs will have subtitles?
Entirely possible. The first step is getting past Greenlight.

We also made an announcement for full transparency so voters would know of the issues.
Last edited by sekaiproject; Feb 19 @ 5:46pm
aquapendulum Feb 19 @ 7:16pm 
Entirely possible. The first step is getting past Greenlight.

We also made an announcement for full transparency so voters would know of the issues.
Good to hear. Too bad I couldn't enjoy this game, but maybe other Steam users will, at least with a proper translation..
Ew|mp3 Feb 20 @ 10:58am 
The sound quality seems a bit inferior.
DanteYoda Feb 20 @ 5:46pm 
If it has all the scenes i'm interested..
Makoto Naegi Feb 20 @ 6:01pm 
I bought this on... DLsite I think it was? I even wrote a review for it. I'm all for seeing it finally get completed. One question, will those that already own the game get a steam copy? Or will the versions bought from other sites get the completed content?

*EDIT* Uh, two questions I guess.
Last edited by Makoto Naegi; Feb 20 @ 6:03pm
Rose Feb 24 @ 1:01am 
Huh. I'm just a little worried that people are mistaking it for a dating sim. >_> Perhaps the cover art should have had a little more emphasis on the girls being in a technical school...
aquapendulum Feb 24 @ 1:10am 
Originally posted by Rose:
Huh. I'm just a little worried that people are mistaking it for a dating sim.
It does have parts of that, and they were boring as hell if you ask me.
AleeUtoo Mar 27 @ 5:30pm 
is this dating sim ?
aMafy Mar 28 @ 10:48pm 
//
Sevcxz Apr 10 @ 7:29pm 
This is awesome :3
Spero_Mcgee Jun 11 @ 1:46am 
Originally posted by Rose:
Huh. I'm just a little worried that people are mistaking it for a dating sim. >_> Perhaps the cover art should have had a little more emphasis on the girls being in a technical school...

Well judging from the fact that there's one guy, several girls, it probably is like a dating sim but has some sort of supernatural plot attached to it perhaps? (talking bird etc ? )
And the type of school the characters go to could be anything, but the basic gist is that it takes place in a school enviroment which alot of dating sims/visual novels actually take place in.
Which I assume is to make it easier for the player to identify with said characters, since the target audience is most like young adults and up.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50