This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

SpaceEngine
The Chosen One Jan 24 @ 7:21pm
Is this going to change anything?
Is it going to remain free? I really don't mind paying 10-40$ for this but this is going on steam so..... ya with all that is planned it needs to cost something other wise these guys are the most nicest and best developers ever!

Also I have been watching how the donations have been going (It looks like it is going great!) on and I have a question about "Gamepad Support" How will that work? do I have to connect my PS4 or Xbox one to my computer and then use my controller or something like that?

AND I have a suggestion that other people may like... Can you guys make a way to see the Habitable zone of a Star? It would be really cool!
Last edited by The Chosen One; Jan 24 @ 10:36pm
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
DIS7RICT Jan 24 @ 9:52pm 
It will be free even on steam, the Engine will reach version 1.0 Planetarium (It's currently at 0.97.1), and then at that stage a separate product will be built which is a game from this same engine, that will however, cost money but will be a totally separate thing so you can still enjoy exploring the universe in the Planetarium for free.

Take a look at this: http://en.spaceengine.org/index/funding_and_donations/0-26
Last edited by DIS7RICT; Jan 24 @ 9:53pm
HarbingerDawn  [developer] Jan 25 @ 6:11am 
Joystick and gamepad support means you can use a joystick or gamepad with the program (would be especially useful for piloting ships, and anyway some people prefer not to use mouse and keyboard for these types of programs). This is accomplished simply by connecting those devices directly to your PC like you would with any other peripheral hardware (you wouldn't connect your console to your PC is what I'm saying). But those peripherals will not be required, they are merely an additional option for you to use if you want.

Concerning habitable zones, the concept of a habitable zone is really complex, not nearly as simple as most people think. It depends on a variety of factors, including albedo, greenhouse effect, planetary composition, etc. Life can survive in many different environments, and given that most of the worlds in the universe contain water in some form, and that many icy worlds probably have subsurface liquid oceans, almost any place could be habitable, meaning that there really is no "habitable zone".
The Chosen One Jan 25 @ 10:45am 
Originally posted by HarbingerDawn:
Joystick and gamepad support means you can use a joystick or gamepad with the program (would be especially useful for piloting ships, and anyway some people prefer not to use mouse and keyboard for these types of programs). This is accomplished simply by connecting those devices directly to your PC like you would with any other peripheral hardware (you wouldn't connect your console to your PC is what I'm saying). But those peripherals will not be required, they are merely an additional option for you to use if you want.

Concerning habitable zones, the concept of a habitable zone is really complex, not nearly as simple as most people think. It depends on a variety of factors, including albedo, greenhouse effect, planetary composition, etc. Life can survive in many different environments, and given that most of the worlds in the universe contain water in some form, and that many icy worlds probably have subsurface liquid oceans, almost any place could be habitable, meaning that there really is no "habitable zone".

so it is bassically "luck" in finding life.
The Chosen One Jan 25 @ 7:39pm 
Also please don't make this a MMO styled game.... I really don't like doing anyform of multiplayer...
Antza2  [developer] Jan 29 @ 5:44am 
Originally posted by bronzelover1:
Also please don't make this a MMO styled game.... I really don't like doing anyform of multiplayer...
Any future content that might include multiple players will be optional.
Ketsa Jan 30 @ 2:22am 
"the game itself will have a modest price"
What about those that donated for its development ?
HarbingerDawn  [developer] Jan 30 @ 3:29am 
Originally posted by Ketsa:
What about those that donated for its development ?
At this point it is essentially impossible to keep track of who donated and how much was donated. If you donate right now, it is because you want to help further the development of SE, not because you want to get free products later.
Ketsa Jan 30 @ 6:49am 
Well I donated to ToME years ago. And when they went on steam lately, all donators got a steam key.

I will probably donate for SE, as I have seen way too much "space games" that were just a collection of 2D cells connected by "jumpgates" - that was acceptable in 1980, not today.

Being rather poor, I will have to come to terms with donating to help develop something I could maybe buy in the future.

ГрОб Feb 2 @ 4:14pm 
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ато чё=)
Itachi Uchiha Mar 18 @ 6:48am 
Why don't you add this on kickstarter? It's awesome and you also can track donators there. ;)
Last edited by Itachi Uchiha; Mar 18 @ 6:49am
HarbingerDawn  [developer] Mar 22 @ 6:25am 
Originally posted by TheGreatEmperorOfTheMankind:
Why don't you add this on kickstarter? It's awesome and you also can track donators there. ;)
Because Kickstarter can only be used in a few countries. Russia is not one of them.
Itachi Uchiha Mar 22 @ 8:30am 
Ah damn I'm from Russia too.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50