This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

SpaceEngine
Willem Jun 20, 2014 @ 1:06pm
Project died ?
Did this die or what ?
It seems the dev did not start a kickstarter campaign after getting greenlit so there like only 15k
< >
Showing 1-15 of 101 comments
therrio2002 Jun 20, 2014 @ 2:14pm 
I don't think it died. I'm sure things are just taking longer than expected. I saw somewhere on the space engine forum that it was not possible to do a kickstarter fund due to the project being based in Russia; however, an Indiegogo campaign was "suggested". Give it some more time and I'm sure we'll see.
Kriostalker Jun 21, 2014 @ 6:00am 
Here you can support the porject and download current version.
http://en.spaceengine.org/
Last edited by Kriostalker; Jun 21, 2014 @ 6:00am
RottingAlien Jun 26, 2014 @ 6:28am 
it did not die. they are actually updating it reguralry
Last edited by RottingAlien; Jun 26, 2014 @ 6:28am
Yazu Jun 27, 2014 @ 9:23pm 
I don't think it's dead, rather, there hasn't been any news about it for some time. The developer received enough donations to work on the game full time, so unless he absconded with the money, he should be developing it as we speak.

I do hope the game gets finished soon though. If Cosmos were still airing on Fox, this could've been the perfect compliment to it, but that time has passed. Still, the universe is a fascinating beast and a project like this is very exciting. I can't wait for a polished, finished product.
HarbingerDawn  [developer] Jun 28, 2014 @ 11:33pm 
SpaceEngine is not dead and remains in active development. Be patient and don't worry.
Fix_It_Felix_Jr Jun 30, 2014 @ 8:02pm 
Originally posted by HarbingerDawn:
SpaceEngine is not dead and remains in active development. Be patient and don't worry.

^^ What the dev said...
It's a space game ofcourse! It's hard to make! The 'Fabric of Space' isn't a toy ;)
Ein MM Aug 31, 2014 @ 8:56am 
they're working in ver. 0.9.7.2, which is look awesome.
crewe49 Sep 11, 2014 @ 9:03am 
You do realise that we'll all have died from old age before you get to that $80,000 you're after. You're garnering about a $1,000 a month and you still have $60,000 to go. Another five years at least so unless someone comes up with a wad of cash I don't see how you are going to make it.

BTW. I don't know what you have been doing but planets with water on them seem to have disapeared completely and all the terran planets come in every colour except green and blue. Apparently Earth is the only Earth like planet.
HarbingerDawn  [developer] Sep 16, 2014 @ 7:39pm 
Originally posted by crewe49:
You do realise that we'll all have died from old age before you get to that $80,000 you're after.
I'm assuming that the whole dying of old age thing was just hyperbole, so I'll move on from that and address your point.

You seem to be assuming that the rate of donation is constant, and that there are no plans to raise funds beyond a donation button on the website. Both are untrue. Even if the rate of fundraising thus far held true through the rest of development, it might still be sufficient on its own. He has raised $20,000 in 11 months (so we'll say 20k/yr), so that means that it will take 3 more years to reach $80k. It would probably also take a similar amount of time to develop and release the first game - the one described by the $80k goal - if he continued to work alone, so it wouldn't make much difference.

The fundraising going on right now represents an initial low-level fundraising drive, to gather enough funds to complete the develpment of the Planetarium and the engine. So its primary objective has already been met. But a large crowdfunding effort via Indiegogo has also been planned from the beginning, once the program reaches an appropriate point in development (which it is steadily and quickly approaching). That will be the fundraising drive which will seek to at least fund the develpment of the first game, if not more. The results of that round of fundraising will determine how quickly the game can be developed (based on how many additional programmers can be hired), and what the price of the game will be (based on how much money is left over to develop the next game).

Originally posted by crewe49:
BTW. I don't know what you have been doing but planets with water on them seem to have disapeared completely and all the terran planets come in every colour except green and blue. Apparently Earth is the only Earth like planet.
The starting planet in the current version is an Earth-like planet, with the same color of vegetation and water, so that's also untrue. I and many other people have also found multiple very Earth-like planets in the universe, with green vegetation and blue water. They are certainly rare, but not non-existent. Keep in mind that the goal of the program is to reflect reality as closely as possible. While it will never be perfect, the scarcity of true Earth twins strikes me as realistic, given the wide range of possible conditions a world can have compared to the very specific ones that we call "Earth-like".
Last edited by HarbingerDawn; Sep 16, 2014 @ 7:42pm
Hedd Sep 20, 2014 @ 9:18am 
It would be nice if they'd fix the shader issue with NVIDIA cards. I can't imagine it's easy to bring in new people if the stars don't have solar flares or can be seen at all without reverting to a lesser video driver.
Last edited by Hedd; Sep 20, 2014 @ 9:19am
Muzzed Sep 21, 2014 @ 12:27pm 
They need to do some work on the engine itself. This simulation doesn't work with current Nvidia drivers. What's the point in rolling back my drivers several versions just to "play" one game? Sorry, but SE will have to communicate better and IMPROVE their product before I buy or download it. They will also have to IMPROVE their relationship with potential customers. Pointing out this MAJOR problem to them on their forum will only get you rude remarks and a "what do you know" attitude. Again, not a great way to run a company.
Last edited by Muzzed; Sep 21, 2014 @ 12:32pm
HarbingerDawn  [developer] Sep 27, 2014 @ 7:34am 
What kind of rude remarks have you received on the forum?

As for what the response should be, it's simply the facts: Nvidia drivers after 337 incorporated changes that broke several features in the program. Changes to SE, obviously, cannot be implemented sooner than the next release. So users can choose between two options: revert to old drivers temporarily, or wait until the issue is fixed. It's an unfortunate situation, but it's also a temporary one, and I can't see how it makes sense to place blame on anyone - either SpaceEngineer or Nvidia - over this.
CuddleMuffin Dec 22, 2014 @ 10:15pm 
lol when did everyone become so greedy. its a complete universe model with randomly generated planets, stars, nebulas, galaxies(ish) and is very accurate to real life. And its FREE... driver issue is no fun but it a small price to pay. love space engine
HarbingerDawn  [developer] Dec 26, 2014 @ 8:29pm 
Addressing the last few posts, Nvidia issues were fixed a while ago, just update to driver version 344.65 or later. And the new version of SE (0.9.7.2) was just released today :) Enjoy!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 101 comments
Per page: 15 30 50