Help this game get on Steam!

Take a look around and learn about this game. If this is something you'd like to see available on Steam, you can help by rating it up using the buttons below. Click here to learn more about this process.

Copy Kitty - Turbo Edition
Hibachi Dec 17, 2013 @ 12:51am
So I just finished it...
Just finished the mission mode.
It's not very long (two, maybe three hours) if you just play it in a straight line, but it's a blast.
Great variety, good music, good boss fights - the final one is epic and you could made ANOTHER game just by taking the gameplay of this section.

If it's too short for you, you can always try to perfect each stage - good luck with that - in each difficulty mode, plus there's an endless mode. And unlockables to mod the game.

The only minor complaint I have is that the character take a little bit too long after shooting to be able to kick or roll, and, well, that the visuals on Boki aren't that good.
But visuals didn't stopped Touhou to be popular, and they don't stop this game to be fun.

To the devs :

As for the effect and visual noise, I'm used to Cave shmups and I played Beat Hazard a lot, so it's ok for me but some people will have difficulties.
Maybe you can make a setting where the ennemies attack have some unique colors not used anywhere else, and/or add oulines - like, well, most of bullet hells.

As for the "you spawn in the spikes" thing, maybe you should remove this part and just show this in the tutorial - a corridor too small to jump, some spikes to get thought, and a prompt "you can run across the skikes" should do the trick.
As it is now, the player just sees himself into spikes, says "WTF?", jumps, and get hurt.

Speaking of the tutorial, a little section about the temporary passives powers would be welcome too. Even if you just show, like, the Buzzsaw one and say that other exists.

Also, the first stage with the Isis robot is really a strange difficulty spike.
No weapon at the start, really?
Last edited by Hibachi; Dec 17, 2013 @ 12:55am
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Entanma Project  [developer] Dec 17, 2013 @ 8:10am 
Big reply post in a random order! Thanks for the feedback.

Boki can roll immediately after shooting (so immediately that the shot doesn't even appear until halfway through the roll), but I never noticed the delay when kicking, I'm going to fix that.

For the spikes: I've never seen anyone actually die in that stage, but I'm reworking it so that it's more obvious what you have to do. You start in a small corridor where even jumping won't put you high enough to take damage, and there's a bit at the end where you need to walk through spikes too.

I tried to keep the tutorial as short as possible and just teach players things through the stages as they're needed, not shoving a bunch of stuff right at the beginning! Players would just forget the spike thing after it anyway, like a lot of people forget you can switch weapons.

If you have any specific examples of enemy attacks that are hard to read, tell me! I actually put a lot of effort into making them all unique and easy to see, so I'm not sure which ones players are having issues with.

For the Really Big Robots stage, it's meant to be a little difficulty spike, since any stress you get from it is immediately relieved once you actually beat the robot! I like starting with no weapon (that will be the first stage you do so, actually) for a bit of "oh crap" moment, and if anything I would just add another minor enemy somewhere that you can defeat for a weapon beforehand. The robot doesn't wake up until you shoot it, so a player could grab the weapon with no risk. Do you think that could work?

And the one last thing that absolutely nobody has brought up as an issue, until exactly today when you and about 4 other people in the comments said it: what exactly is wrong with Boki's graphics? Is it the animations? Humanoid characters are a lot harder to do than robots, but I was pretty proud of how Boki came out - I'm still willing to change it if I can find out what's wrong though. (And I think that's a silly reason for those people who don't vote just because of that, to be honest, all they have to do is be more specific about what's wrong and we'll fix it!)

Edit: apparently the video all the people are coming from is playing the game in stretched widescreen, not the native resolution, so all the graphics are stretched horizontally. Perhaps that's one of the reasons people complain about Boki's graphics, the stretch makes her look really fat!
Last edited by Entanma Project; Dec 17, 2013 @ 9:06am
Hibachi Dec 17, 2013 @ 11:16am 
I'll do my best to reply:

Boki can roll immediately after shooting (so immediately that the shot doesn't even appear until halfway through the roll), but I never noticed the delay when kicking, I'm going to fix that.

I didn't roll often. I prefer kicking things.
The issue became apparent for me in the boss of the 7th stage "Freakish Experiment", as it spams rockets and you don't have much time to counterattack.

I tried to keep the tutorial as short as possible and just teach players things through the stages as they're needed, not shoving a bunch of stuff right at the beginning! Players would just forget the spike thing after it anyway, like a lot of people forget you can switch weapons.

That's right, and the tutorial works the way it is anyway. Players can always figure stuff out later. It's also part of the fun.
Eh, I just realized that you can actually jump and bounce on some ennemies shots, and that destroying explosives targets by jumping on them doesn't harm you.

Oh, by the way, it's great to be able to change the control scheme for a one-button-per-weapon mode.

If you have any specific examples of enemy attacks that are hard to read, tell me! I actually put a lot of effort into making them all unique and easy to see, so I'm not sure which ones players are having issues with.

As I said, I personally have no real problems.
But sometimes, when your shots bounce, or split, or simply stays here for a while with certain combined explosions of the remote weapon, it's hard to make the difference between your shots and those who can actually harm you.

The real problem is that most players aren't used to have so much particles effects in their screen. But one you played a bit, you don't really have a problem with that anymore.

For the Really Big Robots stage, it's meant to be a little difficulty spike, since any stress you get from it is immediately relieved once you actually beat the robot! I like starting with no weapon (that will be the first stage you do so, actually) for a bit of "oh crap" moment, and if anything I would just add another minor enemy somewhere that you can defeat for a weapon beforehand. The robot doesn't wake up until you shoot it, so a player could grab the weapon with no risk. Do you think that could work?

I retried it : finished with no damage. Okay, so it's actually not that hard once you know how things works and stop jumping around like an idiot. The stage is good, let it that way.
Maybe it was just too early in the stage order, and even that, I'm not sure : you'll have to be careful later in the game, might as well being taught this lesson here.

And the one last thing that absolutely nobody has brought up as an issue, until exactly today when you and about 4 other people in the comments said it: what exactly is wrong with Boki's graphics? Is it the animations?

You just encountered your first critics in there 'cause, well, the greenlight helps you getting know.

As for I think is wrong with Boki...
Don't take it the wrong way, and keep in mind that I couldn't draw to save my life, but she looks unrefined.
The model is really simple; the colors are somewhat flat - especially her skin; her arms doesn't seem to have elbows and are too short compared to her body - I know it's SD but still, they're off; and most of all, her face need some work. Maybe rounder, with some details added - a mouth, even if it's just a line, another haircut, etc... She supposed to be a cute "non-cat-girl-but-still", and her character in-game is a bit bland.

You get used to it, tough, and robots are fine.
Last edited by Hibachi; Dec 17, 2013 @ 11:17am
Entanma Project  [developer] Dec 17, 2013 @ 11:51am 
Okay, so one more person saying it's specifically bouncing shots that are the issue. Now that I've narrowed it down it should be a lot easier to figure out which weapons are an issue, thanks!

As for Really Big Robots: well of course it's a piece of cake if you've already beaten the game. I think I'll still change it anyway though, just adding one not-really-threatening enemy in the beginning part that you can copy and use against the Virs. The old strategy will still work, but if a player wanted to get more tactical and do that, they could. I'll see if some testers like the new version better.

I'll see what I can do about Boki's graphics too, it's actually really hard since she's so small on the screen. If there was ever something that I'd want help with, it would be getting a more experienced 3D modeller, heh... I haven't been doing it for too long and most of my stuff is geometric robots instead of organic things. I try though! (Side note, all of these replies are from Azure, the programmer/modeller/musician of the group. I probably should just reply with my actual Steam account instead of the company one, but then I don't think it gets the "creator" tag?)

Thanks for the feedback again!
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50